Author Topic: Big meteor over Russia causes damage, loud bang, earthquakey stuff...  (Read 1040 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Wayne probably already knew that this was going to happen today, because he dropped a rock on his foot in 1996. But for the rest of us: apparently a large meteor or several large meteors hit the atmosphere in the last few hours over Russia (well, tomorrow, since they are on the other side of the International Date Line). Huge explosions that rumbled the ground, a factory apparently hit, people hurt by flying glass, dogs and cats living together. Came from the wrong  direction to be related to tomorrows fly-by of an asteroid. Too early too tell how bad this was. But it wasn't good.  Some are panicking, thinking it is UFO's. I'll withhold judgment on that for another three or four seconds.

Went something like this. (turn your sound down) Keep in mind that there were apparently several like this.

(Can't get video to embed. Just click the link.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b0cRHsApzt8

Added:
Another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=4ZxXYscmgRg

Added: A third video:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:27:32 AM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Big meteor over Russia causes damage, loud bang, earthquakey stuff...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:07:19 AM »
Son of a bolide bitch.  :o

Thanks for the post, PP. Somebody up there has it in for Russia; first Tunguska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event) and now this, just over a century later. Ai karai. I guess it helps when you have the biggest land surface in the Northern Hemisphere, but wow. Just wow.

As if life wasn't interesting enough there already. And aren't the tin-foil-hat brigades gonna have a fine time with this, with the Earth-crosser 2012 DA14 making a close pass later today.

The Bad Astronomer has an initial post:http://www.slate.com/content/slate/blogs/bad_astronomy.html He points out (no doubt futilely to some) that this object is likely completely unrelated to DA14; for it to intercept Earth so many hours ahead means it was in a completely different orbit.

I guess we can thank the insurance companies of the Russian Federation for some of that footage, since it's because of their reluctance to pay up that drivers started installing dash cams in everything that has an engine. Sure hope no one was seriously hurt; the BA is saying windows (unsurprisingly) shattered in a lot of places.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 03:08:53 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:18:21 AM »
Biblegod's sending down it's wrath because there are gays in the USA, and prayer out of schools, and atheists running amok. But donlt put Biblegod on a Baseball team as a Pitcher, it's curve is a bit off.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »
These things are just biblegod's drones.  He's got to get your attention somehow.  You won't isten to the "true" believers who come on this site trying to show you the light and the kaboom.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »
Link to more videos and some still photos of the damage. (some videos are the same as in the OP)

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
Why does this kind of thing not happen more often?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

This is the sort of rare thing to mere humans but all to common on astronomical time scales that make me wonder what the goat herders back in the days without knowledge and science. I bet they would conclude such things as god and/or the Jesus guy in sky going away only with the promise of a grand return.. Revelations or something .... I wonder if when the meteor came in there was a band of musician trumpet players nearby.  ;)
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »
What a strange thing today at 11:30 PST a big rock passed within the orbits of the satellites around earth DA 14

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/15/asteroid-2012-da14-makes-its-record-breaking-brush-with-earth-friday-watch-it-live/
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:10 AM »
Why does this kind of thing not happen more often?
Because the Earth is tiny and gravity is a very weak force so whoever throws a rock has to have very good aim. Matter makes up only a minuscule fraction of the solar system. Also, we're living at a time when the sun and the gas giants have swept up most of the local matter.

Even given that, this sort of event is not all that uncommon. Meteors hit the earth's atmosphere on a regular basis, depositing a few tons of material each year. (A number that is dwarved by the accumulating dust particles that are swept up, which is on the order of a few dozen thousand tons.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_meteor_air_bursts
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 11:27:14 AM »
Sometimes Russians take extreme measures when a bright meteor flies through the sky...

(Note: just found out that you can't embed YouTube videos that start with https:, but you can after you take the "s" out.)

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
^^^ A sensible response. If it's big and coming down anywhere near him, he's dead anyway. If it doesn't kill him, he'll still need his eyes. Very pragmatic.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »
Inside Russian's head ...

What's that? Big rock from sky? Puh! I survived Communist rule for 20 years. In Communist Russia, we were happy with rocks from the sky. Then, at least we got SOMETHING. Damn that thing is bright. Better pull down my visor ... in Communist Russia we HAD no visors.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.