Author Topic: Sad Sad Sad Missouri  (Read 916 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Sad Sad Sad Missouri
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
You would have thought that Missouri would have learned from the fun people made of Kansas when they tried this.  The Missouri legislator is pushing the Missouri Standard Science Act or HB291. The bill would require all textbooks covering science to devote equal treatment to evolution and intelligent design. Teachers would be required to spend as much time on each.  If textbooks cannot be found that meet the standards they must get supplemental materials from a special committee set up to deal with this.  This would include science classes not only at elem and sec classes (K-12) but all colleges and universities in Missouri.  This from the state that made putting "God did it" on a test question must be counted as correct.

Republicans control both houses in Missouri.  The state has a Dem Gov. but there are enough republicans to make it veto proof.

Remember that if you ever get to hire a Missouri grad for a job position.

(info out of morning paper)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +510/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Sad Sad Sad Missouri
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
Out of idle curiosity, can a state be thrown out of the union?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
Out of idle curiosity, can a state be thrown out of the union?

Article IV of our Constitution provides for admitting new states and for redrawing state boundaries, but as far as I know, there is no explicit provision for removing a state altogether.  I suppose someone wanting to "play dirty" could redraw Missouri's state lines so that it had only one square foot of territory, thus effectively ejecting a state from the union without actually doing so.  Just speculating, though.

It's an interesting question.  The last time it came up was during our Civil War, when a number of states in the South declared that it was their right to secede whenever they saw fit, and did so; the North disagreed and never formally recognized any state's secession.  The matter was settled only de facto when the North won the war.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +510/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
Thanks for that.

I have long had an idea that, as we did with our criminals and Australia, there should be somewhere to ship off the lunatic fringe where they could, to their hearts content, be irrational. Think of it  - an independent theocratic state bounded by sanity - it would seem ideal.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
Thanks for that.

I have long had an idea that, as we did with our criminals and Australia, there should be somewhere to ship off the lunatic fringe where they could, to their hearts content, be irrational. Think of it  - an independent theocratic state bounded by sanity - it would seem ideal.

Graybeard, I would be so for that. Like I said in another thread with a similar topic, I'd gladly give up my own home county and city in return for all the biblical literalists, the Teabaggers, the Faux News drones and their ilk moving there and never, ever leaving. Relocating would be nothing next to never having to deal with them again.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
They seem to really like Texas.  How about that?

Of course, we would need to protect the boarder.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +824/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
Thanks for that.

Graybeard, I would be so for that. Like I said in another thread with a similar topic, I'd gladly give up my own home county and city in return for all the biblical literalists, the Teabaggers, the Faux News drones and their ilk moving there and never, ever leaving. Relocating would be nothing next to never having to deal with them again.

I agree.  We will happily take the gays, the environmentalists, racial and ethnic diversity, socialized medicine and feminism off their hands. If they will take Pat Robertson, Alan Keyes, Newt Gingrich, the NRA, the "English Only" gang and the fetus lobby off our hands.

We will keep on using the Theory of Evolution to cure disease, solve crimes and improve crop yields.  They can use Intelligent Design and Christian prayer to cure disease, solve crimes and improve crop yields. We get science and technology. They can have god and Wal-Mart.[1]

Finish the Civil War; they can keep the south. Give safe passage to anyone who wants to leave, and then let them have their White Christian Religo-rama. It will be a hot, humid North Korea, only full of fat narrow-minded inbred people praying to be saved from tornadoes, hurricanes and crime.

We will have our colorful Eco-topia with good medical care, high education levels, rational economic policies, freedom of religion, low crime, and a healthy environment. We get Bill Gates and Harvard. They get Ted Nugent and Branson. Sounds like a wonderful trade to me.

After ten years, which group will be trying to tunnel under the border fence?
 1. And no fair importing researchers and doctors from Hindu India and atheist China when the prayer and ID turn out not to work very well on traumatic brain injury and diabetes.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
Finish the Civil War; they can keep the south. Give safe passage to anyone who wants to leave, and then let them have their White Christian Religo-rama. It will be a hot, humid North Korea, only full of fat narrow-minded inbred people praying to be saved from tornadoes, hurricanes and crime.
Does the US have any nukes located in the South?  Just wondering since North Korea detonated a nuke recently.  I don't know if I'd want our lunatic southern neighbors armed with nuclear warheads.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
True.  They are hell bent on bringing about the "end times".

Do you think they would fall for some fake nukes?

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »
They get Ted Nugent and Branson.

That reminds me, remember what Ted said in April 2012:

http://countingdownto.com/countdown/176293
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 07:41:01 PM »
They seem to really like Texas.  How about that?

Of course, we would need to protect the boarder.
Sad thing is,I know some good people in Texas that would be horrified by this idea
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 10:50:32 PM »
Nick,

This must be the reason my brother and his wife (both atheists) are moving back to Florida. It seems the "crazy" left the South (partially) and has now travelled to the mid-west.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 12:29:07 AM »
Interesting topic, considering that it is Charles Darwin's birthday today.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
IN the response section of the paper today someone wrote in that Darwin made all this stuff up and the bible was written by eyewitnesses.  I wonder who was the eye witness writing things down when Eve ate that apple?

There is also now a bill being proposed to take Missouri off daylight savings time.  You see we want to control time also.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:31 AM »
Does the US have any nukes located in the South?

Yes, some.  At least, that's believed to be the case -- such information is, of course, classified -- but educated guesses do put some nukes in the South.

http://www.fas.org/blog/ssp/2009/11/locations.php
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
IN the response section of the paper today someone wrote in that Darwin made all this stuff up and the bible was written by eyewitnesses.  I wonder who was the eye witness writing things down when Eve ate that apple?

There is also now a bill being proposed to take Missouri off daylight savings time.  You see we want to control time also.
MIND BLOWN.......but it is all written in hearsay is it not?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +824/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »
Who was the eyewitness to Jesus struggling with temptation in the desert? To Abraham banging Hagar? To Cain killing Abel?

Did CNN have correspondents with live feed back then?

"Now we can hear Jesus crying out and cursing Satan. Satan is taunting Jesus with a bikini barista holding a latte. Wait, Jesus has thrown the latte at Satan. It's all over, ladies and gentlemen! Jesus, the son of god, has defeated temptation and is on his way back to the disciples' compound. Back to you, Jeff." :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.