Author Topic: Is It Just Me Or...  (Read 492 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Is It Just Me Or...
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »
...is this place not as active as it used to be?

I mean, I am not here that often anymore and one could think that's because I am now a Global Moderator at Atheist Think Tank[1], or because I paid for a membership at funtrivia and I am trying to milk it for all I paid for[2] or because I am moving from Orlando back to my hometown in North Florida or for the fact this place crashes more often than the Stock Market--but it's none of those things.

I check my "recent comments" and there's barely any new replies. I check my "unread comments" there's basically just the same ordinary topics as there always seem to be. And, sometimes repetition is good but there are 2 Pope topics that seem should be merged but then that's one less topic, and besides that topic(s) and a couple of others, this place just seems dead, or at least heading in that direction.

Which is sad, if it is--or is it just me seeing this?

-Nam
 1. which I am sure was a surprise to many there and here (that know)
 2. it was only $20, not that much

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
Re: Is It Just Me Or...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
Maybe the world ran out of True Believers to throw at us?

Mailbag's certainly been a bit tame of late.
*imagines Pianodwarf getting up in the morning, all excited, he runs downstairs.*
Yes! There it is! The mailbag!
He opens it and ... nothing. There's nothing in the mailbag. Not one damn thing. Not even a badly spelled display of Christian love, "Your all gonna brun in HEEL!!!8!8 Your just a bunsh og discussing eightyists!!8!"
Despondent, he tosses aside the bag and goes to make himself some toast. The face of Muhammed appears on his toast. This, at least, lifts his spirits some but his restrained merryment is cut short when two Muslims, peace be upon them, break into his kitchen and, screaming 'Allah Snackbar', set fire to the blaspheming toaster.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:38:46 AM »
Poor pianodwarf.

:(

-Nam

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
I'm pretty much burned out ... I'm sick of arguing with theists who regurgitate the same arguments over and over and over and over ... and the overall topic of religion has tired except where it happens to be in my face in real life (which doesn't happen much either ... not here in the UK).

I'll still jump in when there's a discussion about free will, abortion, circumcision and other issues where we atheists disagree... but even then I think we've done it all.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:53:43 AM »
Atheism, or being an atheist, is not all about arguing with theists or theism; or at least it shouldn't be.

I mean if that's what's mainly expected when coming to one: I think most would burn out.

-Nam

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »
Maybe the world ran out of True Believers to throw at us?

Mailbag's certainly been a bit tame of late.

Yes, it's very disappointing.  I admit I've been tempted to put up fake letters just to liven things up a bit, but I do know better than that.  If it ever got out that I had done that, the believers would have a field day with it.  Besides, the admins would probably take a rather dim view of it as well.

*imagines Pianodwarf getting up in the morning, all excited, he runs downstairs.*
Yes! There it is! The mailbag!
He opens it and ... nothing. There's nothing in the mailbag. Not one damn thing. Not even a badly spelled display of Christian love, "Your all gonna brun in HEEL!!!8!8 Your just a bunsh og discussing eightyists!!8!"

Hee.  :-)  It might be like that if I didn't already have all kinds of other things to do in the morning.

While we're on the subject, by the way... Tomorrow morning (Eastern time in the US), I'm leaving for the weekend and will have only limited access to the Mailbag and the forums.  I'm going to a convention, where I'll be preoccupying myself with dealer tables, panel discussions, and trying not to gawk too hard at Felicia Day.  Regularly scheduled programming will resume probably on Monday morning.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:13:51 AM »
Felicia Day, huh? I think I'd just gawk.

-Nam

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »
Felicia Day, huh?

Uh-huh.

http://www.farpointcon.com

I think I'd just gawk.

There actually probably is something to be said for that, now that I think about it.  Especially since she's a redhead.  You have no idea how I am when it comes to redheads.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:07:22 AM »
Trust me, I think I have a feeling.

-Nam

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
Forum was down for a looong time so people probably found a new home.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
There's no happy medium.

Here we see hardly any new theists, over on ATT you get bullying cretins like BabyZaz, BuckAlec or Shin Kari.

On the one hand I'd like to see more fresh meat but on the other you can find yourself having the arrogant, aggressive and ignorant bullshitters. Even Magicmiles, who brings a relatively pleasant demeanour, has absolutely nothing new to say and buggers off the very instant things get awkward.

Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »
Meanwhile, it's monday, and Pianodwarf has yet to post any pictures of Felicia Day.
Come on Dwarf! Get with the sharing!

Damn timezones!

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »
Meanwhile, it's monday, and Pianodwarf has yet to post any pictures of Felicia Day.
Come on Dwarf! Get with the sharing!

Damn timezones!

Sorry.  I just got in about 8:30 last night and have been getting settled back into the house.  The photos and vids are still sitting on my camera.  I hope to get to them today.

She really is a very fetching creature.  Whuff!  She's also very talented.  She participated in one of the Farpoint opening ceremony traditions, which is to do a "faux radio show" thing on stage with other guests as well as the con organizers.  This year, the fake show was a spoof of "Aliens", in which the aliens didn't have acid for blood, they had alcohol, and their victims were constantly getting drunk.  Felicia's role was a spoof portrayal of Newt.  Her repeated line in the show, "Oh, my GOODness!" brought many peals of laughter.

John Billingsley and Bonita Friedericy were also guests.  I didn't know until I went to see them speak together that they were married.  They're quite a pair when they get together on stage to speak.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 06:35:57 AM »
She really is a very fetching creature.  Whuff! 

Lord Flashheart! Is that you?!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
Didn't Dom Deluise say "Whuff" in everything he was ever in?

;)

-Nam