Author Topic: Cheerio Pope.  (Read 1808 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 05:13:54 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Cheerio Pope.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:32 PM »
When the last pope died and they were taking a long time elect, err, waiting for god to appoint a new one, I was using the name "Popeless" when registering on new web sites.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 08:09:56 PM »
I had heard that Pope Paul I was going to make ratical progressive changes so they offed him.  But you would have thought that they might have known about him before electing him.  Its not like any of them are new kids on the block.

Nick, for future reference, don't use the term "new kids" around catholic priests. Some of them get too excited.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »
When the last pope died and they were taking a long time elect, err, waiting for god to appoint a new one, I was using the name "Popeless" when registering on new web sites.

If you just lived in Washington, you could be"Popeless in Seattle". Of course, you'd end up being sued by TriStar pictures, but it would be worth it.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »
PP, Good point.

I heard on TV tonight that Dick Morris thinks Mitt Romney has the inside track to the papacy.  So you can take that for what it is worth.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Bellatrix

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • The 11th plague is religion
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 01:14:14 AM »
"17 Then Jesus answered and said, "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar Jona, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to thee, but my Father in heaven. 18 And I say to thee, thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever thou shalt bind upon earth shall be bound also in heaven, and whatever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." 20 Then he strictly charged his disciples to tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ." (Matthew 16:17-20) 1957 New Catholic Holy Bible Douay Illustrated.

As an inculcated/indoctrinated Roman Catholic Catholic high school student, these passages confirmed to me that Catholicism was the One True Church of Christ.

"And God indeed has placed some in the Church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers; after that miracles, then gifts of healing, services of help, power of administration, and the speaking of various tongues." (1 Corinthians 12:28)

This passage confirmed to me the Church & Pope were an extension of Christ and infallible.

"Otherwise believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to you, he who believes in me, the works that I do he also shall do, and greater than these he shall do." (John 14:12)

This passage confirmed to me exactly what it say's, later realizing this should include me also, even tho I'm a she :)

Having faith in God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Church, Catechisms, Representatives, Bible and least important, Myself. I felt there should be an obvious physical cloak of love showering & protecting all created life through out the Cosmos.

Later I wondered why as an extension of Christ, In physical form & location upon that rock, Peter & Church are not here now to still help guide us.

Then I felt the heck with Peter, why couldn't Jesus stick around for a few thousand more years to make absolutely sure we all got his message right.

Now I say as the Son of Man, Jesus was a suicidal cowardly liar who abandoned his people. As the Son of God, an evil entity.

April 20, 2007 a forty-one page report "The Hope of Salvation for Infants Who Die without being Baptized" After 800 years of "Limbo" finally infants who were not "born-again of water" (John 3:5) are now in Heaven. I'd like to thank Pope Benedict XVI for relocating innocent infants and my little cousin, God knows they deserve it.

Let's hope the RCC makes future progressive changes to help humanity along.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things ~ Isaiah 45:7

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 02:24:21 AM »
On the more serious side ... suppose Ratzi was diagnosed with some brain disease, let's say Alzheimer.
Of course the Catholic church wont accept a Pope who just sits in the corner and stares out the window for a decade. Traditionally, such Popes 'take a turn for the worse' ... with some help of course. There are strong rumors that this is what happened to JPII.
So Ratzi could either resign and have his mind go blank(er than before) in some monastery or stay on and get murdered in the near future.

Why though, would he not want to get murdered? Instant access to heaven and the god he loves so much, plus, if the murder ever comes out ... inside track to sainthood!!! I mean, if he truely believes his own shite, why not stay on and kick the bucket early?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »
I know this is hard to believe, but The Onion has something to say on the matter:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/resigning-pope-no-longer-has-strength-to-lead-chur,31248/

For you unclicky types, the headline of the article reads: "Resigning Pope No Longer Has Strength To Lead Church Backward"

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:30 AM »
Traditionally (well since JPII anyway) a new pontiff and his entourage will travel the world to visit his "flock".

A nice little earner for an airline. Does anyone know who the official Papal Plane People will be? Might be worth a wee punt on their share price.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 04:29:43 AM »
A nice little earner for an airline. Does anyone know who the official Papal Plane People will be? Might be worth a wee punt on their share price.

Provided the Vatican actually pays the damn bill, which, also traditionally since JP II is a bit of an issue.
But hey, they have twitter now, maybe the new pope can just tweet his flock (ok, that sounds SO wrong!)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +675/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »
I'm hoping the new Pope is from the Planet Kolob. ;)

I thought that was where they were sending the old one?

This has not happened since 1415.  That is 77 years before Columbus discovered America.  Amazing if you like history.

Not only that, but do you know why that pope stepped down?  The story is crazy!  It was to end a schism!

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/11/171737564/last-papal-resignation-in-1415-ended-western-schism?ft=1&f=2&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NprProgramsATC+%28NPR+Programs%3A+All+Things+Considered%29

Because of the power of the French at the time, the pope's had been hanging out at Avignon.  The cardinals decided they needed the pope to be removed from politics and wanted him back in Rome.  So, they did that.  BUT, then someone got the idea that they needed a pope in France too, so they elected another for France.  That did not work out, so they elected a third to replace the first two.  He stayed in Pisa.  It became a total clusterbomb, so the Roman one resigned.  The other two were "deposed". 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
Did the one in Piza get there in 30 minutes or less? ;)

Offline Tykster

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
I think it was the third pope back that died very shortly after taking office. Rumors that he had been knocked off by his own people for not being popish enough or something swirled around, but it was pre-internet, so things didn't swirl around as much back then. But that has me thinking that if they did indeed off that guy, they could off this one if he was being a bad boy. Maybe he just wants more time to surf the web.

This was Pope JP 1, there was a book written ( pre internet days ;) ), by David Yallop, chronicling the corruption etc. within the Vatican, called, "In God's Name". Very well researched, worth reading. Basically JP1 was offed, because [shock horror] he wanted to redistribute the wealth of the Vatican to poor people. With radical charitable ideas like this he was doomed....
rhocam ~ I guess there are several trillion cells in a man, and one in an amoeba, so to be generous, lets say that there were a billion. That is one every fifteen years. So in my lifetime I should have seen two evolutionary changes.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:18 AM »
According to Bill Donahue: "The pope made it clear that religious freedom was not only a God-given right, it was 'the path to peace'". Religious freedom a God given right? Is this some kind of joke? God's first commandment is that HE is God, and that you should have no other Gods before him. Following the presentation of the commandments, God has his followers kill everyone in the area who doesn't worship him. Deuteronomy tells us that those who follow other gods are to be stoned to death. To say that religious freedom is a God given right is beyond ignorance.

In the US we have religious freedom because of our secular Constitution. There is no where, at all, in the Bible where it says we have the right to worship who or what we like. Failure to submit to God in the New Testament means that instead of just ending your life, God will punish you, forever, in a lake of fire. This is the exact opposite of freedom.

Considering that the first 4 commandments are all instructions to love, worship and fear Big Brother, I'd say that the Church has no idea, at all, what freedom is. And given that in 2000, on the 400th anniversary of their burning alive of scientist and theologian Giordano Bruno, the church said that it was "a sad episode", but the Inquisition "had the desire to serve freedom and promote the common good and did everything possible to save his life." Are you kidding me? The Church still asserts that it had every right to torture and murder people for having a different opinion, yet says religious freedom is a God given right? And we're supposed to take their moral advice, and ask THEM to forgive OUR sins?

It must be awful to be a Catholic, with this horrible tradition of cruelty, atrocity, and violent self righteousness. Catholics might respond that the church isn't doing these things anymore, but that's only because secular society has taught it how to behave. Given it's already stated opinion on their murder of Bruno, there is no reason to think that they wouldn't do this all over again if given the opportunity.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
That religious freedom is the same as free will.  Make the wrong choice and you are damned.

Bill Donahue is a real prick.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 02:21:47 PM »
Remember back a year or 2 when the pope's butler was charged with leaking private papers of the pope?  I'm hearing now that his retirement might be tied to this.  I guess this really affected the pope in a deep way.  The pope pardoned they guy but that is not the whole story.  There are many branches of power struggle within the church.  One group, that has grown in influence and power, is The Society of St. Pius X.  They are a very conservative group (like our Teabaggers would be here) who want the Church to return to the old ways before Vatican II.  Latin masses, less regular people involved, etc.  I guess the butler was in their hooks and did what he did so they could possibly get influence with the pope.  So the pope finally said, "too hell with all of you, I quit".  So political intrigue in the Vatican.  Problem is they still have a lot of influence and of the 8 mentioned as possible new popes...all are pretty much conservative and would probably lean towards this group who wants to control things.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
Remember back a year or 2 when the pope's butler was charged with leaking private papers of the pope?  I'm hearing now that his retirement might be tied to this.  I guess this really affected the pope in a deep way.  The pope pardoned they guy but that is not the whole story.  There are many branches of power struggle within the church.  One group, that has grown in influence and power, is The Society of St. Pius X.  They are a very conservative group (like our Teabaggers would be here) who want the Church to return to the old ways before Vatican II.  Latin masses, less regular people involved, etc.  I guess the butler was in their hooks and did what he did so they could possibly get influence with the pope.  So the pope finally said, "too hell with all of you, I quit".  So political intrigue in the Vatican.  Problem is they still have a lot of influence and of the 8 mentioned as possible new popes...all are pretty much conservative and would probably lean towards this group who wants to control things.

All for naught as you can see from this;St. Malachy of Armagh and his "Prophecy of the Popes"

Doomsday fans have found ways to link each phrase to a corresponding pope through the centuries. That includes John Paul II, who is associated with phrase No. 110, "From the labor of the sun," because he was born on the day of a solar eclipse and was entombed on the day of a solar eclipse as well. Benedict XVI, No. 111, is supposedly "glory of the olive" because some members of a branch of the monastic order founded by St. Benedict are known as Olivetans.

Then there's No. 112: "In the extreme persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit ... Peter the Roman, who will nourish the sheep in many tribulations; when they are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The end."

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/12/16940253-why-the-buzz-over-st-malachys-last-pope-prophecy-outdoes-2012-hype?lite

Finally, a TRUE end of the world scenario.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:41:56 AM by stuffin »
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
If the new pope picks Peter for his name and is Italian these people will go nuts. 

(I get really good internet service from my bunker) lol