Author Topic: Stuck  (Read 837 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Stuck
« on: February 10, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
So I was hunting around on youtube, looking for some footage or interviews relating to a new documentary on international adoption entitled "Stuck."    As an adoptive mom, I'm always interested in issues related to adoption.  I saw this piece on vimeo, but was hoping to find more on youtube. 

However, I think youtube has access to whoever is recording keystrokes on my computer, because this came up right at the top of the list under "Stuck."

Only had 55 views when I first saw it.  But I thought I would share.  Just for fun. 

Poor fellow put a lot of work into this documentary.  And he doesn't seem to be getting many views.  Or any discussion. 

Perhaps he might like to come over and see how stuck the resident atheists are. 

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +292/-32
Re: Stuck
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
"Earth is in the perfect spot" argument again.  I knew it was going to be bad when he said that all the planets "happened to fall into exactly the right orbits" around their stars.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
I kind of liked how when the wind blew over the thousands of sets of vials of chemicals, the ALL miraculously combined to create the perfect medicine. 

He was so close.  I don't understand why he thought that all off the sets of vials had to combine the same way.  Just one random combination.  That is all you need. 

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +292/-32
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Mmhmm.  The "unique hand of cards" analogy blows the entire video out of the water.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »
Towards the end he calls us stupid and not human, that was kind of lame because in the beginning he asks to watch it without prejudice.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +582/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:04 AM »
I didn't even need to watch three minutes of this 'perfect' video to realize just how bad it was.  He doesn't even come close on the timeline, let alone anything else.

Just to name one particularly egregious example, he apparently thinks that planets formed right after the Big Bang, and they somehow settled in the perfect orbits around their various stars.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:50:40 AM »
30 seconds in; there's already a lot of problems.  He seems to think that right after the big bang occured, all the planets, suns, and whatsnot formed in their present shape and location almost right away.  I think that's, I dunno, a couple of billions of years short on the amount of time needed for stuff to happen.

Also, I need to read up on the big bang again; but I don't think it was an actual explosion...

EDIT: two minutes in.  He seems to think that plants and animals just sorta *poofed* into being by magic (in their present day forms, presumably).  This guy has never touched a science book.

EDIT2: watched the whole video.  It's just one long-winded argument from incredulity.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:07:51 AM by Aaron123 »
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +430/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »
I got as far as "All of a sudden, living beings formed..."  Um...dude?  Animals and plants "just appearing all of a sudden" is your "theory."  Go to high school.  Read the chapter on evolution in your biology textbook.  Then get back to us.  If you want to knock down Strawman Evolution, at least try to get your strawman within the same light-cone as actual evolutionary theory.  Maybe learn what the phrase "evolution by natural selection" means.  Either that, or we'll reject Christianity because it teaches that you're supposed to worship a nine-headed dragon,[1] and that's just absurd.  What?  It's in that book somewhere, isn't it?  *Not.  Enough.  Facepalms*
 1. Yes, I know the dragon has seven heads, but what's a couple extra heads between friends?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:38:22 AM by kcrady »
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
Anyone tried to watch any of the guy's other videos?  I looked at this one.

Towards the end, he suggusts asking "bold" questions to atheists such as "who created the mountains?", "who created the seas?" and "who created the tree?", and suggusts that our answer will be little more than "naturedidit".  He berates "naturedidit" as a poor answer that leaves a bunch of holes.  Yet, this guy apparently has no problem with "goddidit, the end, and don't ask the question of who created god!"
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Oh dear! What a dreadful video even allowing for some great footage of nature.

The guy is presenting such  a religious view of the material that he might not have known anything much of biology at all That he can ask the question about how the body manages to have the right amounts of substances and trace elements shows this is not a serious look at the material.  I wasn't surprised to see some Arabic lettering half-way through - I thought this was an Islamic video from the start.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
what is this filth?

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
Standard creationist nonsense, edited slightly better. A cartoon parody of cosmology and biological evolution that has far more in common with the creationist model (as kcrady points out) than what both those sciences actually reveal about the history of the universe and life on this planet.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius