Author Topic: Papua New Guinea witch burning.  (Read 455 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Papua New Guinea witch burning.
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363894
  I've always wanted to visit PNG but not so much anymore. Port Moresby, the capitol on the coast, has consistently been listed as one of the worlds most dangerous cities, now with this happening in the highlands I doubt I'll ever go there.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Papua New Guinea witch burning.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
Damn witches.  They ruin everything.  You would think we could get rid of them.  Hell, we had one running for congress on the GOP side in 2010.  Laws need to be passed in each state addressing this problem.  Even before the jobs issue.  We must prioritize.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Hard to believe the Catholic Church had nothing to do with this (or any other Xian religion).

Read the story earlier today at work. Seems fighting sorcery with sorcery is the rule there, that is till your husband thinks your shamming him with some bad juju, then you get a crowd riled up and set the bitch on fire.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
From the link:

In 2009, after a string of such killings, the chairman of PNG's Constitutional Review and Law Reform Commission said defendants were using accusations of witchcraft as an excuse to kill people, and called for tougher legislation to tackle the issue.

Local Christian bishop David Piso told the National that sorcery-related killings were a growing problem, and urged the government "to come up with a law to stop such practice".

Does this mean that there is no law against setting fire to someone? Does murder not exist on the statute book?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »
From the link:

In 2009, after a string of such killings, the chairman of PNG's Constitutional Review and Law Reform Commission said defendants were using accusations of witchcraft as an excuse to kill people, and called for tougher legislation to tackle the issue.

Local Christian bishop David Piso told the National that sorcery-related killings were a growing problem, and urged the government "to come up with a law to stop such practice".

Does this mean that there is no law against setting fire to someone? Does murder not exist on the statute book?
or the commandment thou shalt not murder?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
Who would want to miss a good bitch burning? I mean, those bitches deserve it. I know a few bitches I would like to burn.

Wait...oh, witches.

Nevermind.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:51:22 AM »
It most likely does, but it's not one that's stopping witch hunts. Hard to see how an additional law would help in that case, as opposed to enforcing current ones ...
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +540/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:51 PM »
If you'll excuse my saying so, I'm tempted to apply a Second Amendment solution to the kind of people who think it's okay to burn people alive because they've been accused of witchcraft.

I'm pretty tolerant, but I draw the line at using people as scapegoats so they can be burned alive.