Author Topic: On that stupid "god created a farmer" commercial  (Read 361 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
On that stupid "god created a farmer" commercial
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/would-cain-drive-a-dodge/

...But it’s also worth noting, as the Canadian journalist Jeet Heer (@heerjeet) observed on Twitter, what lousy theology the ad articulates. According to the Bible, the first farmer wasn’t a pious caretaker of God’s creation. Rather it was Cain, who is best known for killing his brother.

It’s not clear why God preferred the shepherd Abel’s offering, provoking Cain’s murderous envy. But it does appear that the labor of farming is a punishment for Cain’s crime. Here’s how God describes the condition of the farmer: “When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth” (Genesis 4:12). That’s hardly a ringing endorsement.

(continues)

bold mine
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +464/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: On that stupid "god created a farmer" commercial
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
The problem is that God didn't make a farmer. In the beginning, Adam just hung around the Garden picking fruit. After the fall, he had no choice but to farm, and both his sons went into farming - again, they had little choice as there were no factories or offices.

And let us not forget that the first murder was committed by a farmer. (But then you can understand someone getting all T-ed off with a vegetarian.)

However, and all that said, that advert is going to play well in those God-fearing agricultural States of the Mid-West. Dodge is going for the conservative Christian vote - just like Reagan did.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Oh, I think they just mean that God made all of us in His own image.  You know.  God made you.  God made me.  God made a farmer.  God made George W. Bush.  God made Osama bin Laden.  God made Honey Boo boo. 

And God is having a good laugh. 

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
As soon as I heard that commercial, the 1st thing to pop in to my mind was Genesis 3:17:

<snip> "... cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life"

I guess Paul Harvey must'a been sick at home the day this was covered in Sunday School. &)
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 02:43:39 AM »
Also: God only likes the white farmers.  Because they're the ones most likely to buy the ginormous phallic-compensator trucks?
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:54:12 AM »
The problem is that God didn't make a farmer. In the beginning, Adam just hung around the Garden picking fruit. After the fall, he had no choice but to farm, and both his sons went into farming - again, they had little choice as there were no factories or offices.

And let us not forget that the first murder was committed by a farmer. (But then you can understand someone getting all T-ed off with a vegetarian.)

However, and all that said, that advert is going to play well in those God-fearing agricultural States of the Mid-West. Dodge is going for the conservative Christian vote - just like Reagan did.

if youve read Ismael theres and interesting take on this very topic. I loaned my book out so I cant summarize it right now, but I suggest the book, its a good read.