Author Topic: Shirley Temple Dies at 85  (Read 195 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Shirley Temple Dies at 85
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:21:38 AM »
So sad. I have six of her films, Heidi being my favorite then The Little Princess. I thought she was older, though.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Shirley Temple Dies at 85
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
I guess she's now on the last voyage of the Good Ship Lollipop, where she can relax in peace, on the sands of the Peppermint Beach... :-[
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »
I guess she's now on the last voyage of the Good Ship Lollipop, where she can relax in peace, on the sands of the Peppermint Beach... :-[

Actually, I think she's err... just dead.

A shame, a loss to humanity but she had a long and fulfilled life which is something at least.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
Awww.    :'(
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +810/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »
I always liked her--can you believe it? Me and Nam agreeing on something and it's Shirley Temple. Satan is strapping on his speed skates.

She was a lot like the plucky, upbeat characters she played.  IIRC she found out on her 12th birthday that she was really 13-- her folks had always lied about her age to make her more marketable. Instead of being freaked out, she said, "Well, I guess I get two birthdays today!"

Because of how she got treated financially-- she found at 21 that she had been cheated out of all her millions and had nothing--they made new laws protecting the rights of child actors.

She was the classiest and most talented of the child stars, and when that was over, went on to other things. There will never be another like her. :-*
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
I always liked her--can you believe it? Me and Nam agreeing on something and it's Shirley Temple. Satan is strapping on his speed skates.

What you sayin'? we don't agree on other things? ;)

She was a lot like the plucky, upbeat characters she played.  IIRC she found out on her 12th birthday that she was really 13-- her folks had always lied about her age to make her more marketable. Instead of being freaked out, she said, "Well, I guess I get two birthdays today!"

Because of how she got treated financially-- she found at 21 that she had been cheated out of all her millions and had nothing--they made new laws protecting the rights of child actors.

She was the classiest and most talented of the child stars, and when that was over, went on to other things. There will never be another like her. :-*

Yep.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline godzilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:53 PM »
Still sad about this, she was one of the heard.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:38 AM »
One of the what?

-Nam