Author Topic: "God" honored in Super Bowl ad  (Read 722 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
"God" honored in Super Bowl ad
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:18:46 PM »
So it was a god who made a farmer. But I noticed that the god so honored was not identified. Maybe it was so Christians, Jews, Muslims etc would not feel left out, although I saw nothing but white people in the ad.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: "God" honored in Super Bowl ad
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
Don't know.  Missed that ad.  God did make His presence known with the black out.  God is a funny guy.  He also wanted the Ravens to win otherwise the 49ers would have scored at the end with the 4th and 7 play in the end zone.  Also, the 2 pt. in the end zone at the end helped the point spread so all were happy.  Now God can have His day of rest (today) and maybe get on that kid in the hole on Tues.

I'll have to check out the ad you speak of and see what it is all about. 
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:42:55 PM »
OK, checked it out.  If you are a believer then you would like it.  I know farmers...a whole lot of them are winers and complainers who will screw you if given an opportunity.  Some are not.  Pretty much like the rest of us.

Have not heard Paul Harvey's voice in  long time.  He had a good radio voice.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
Don't know.  Missed that ad.  God did make His presence known with the black out.  God is a funny guy.  He also wanted the Ravens to win otherwise the 49ers would have scored at the end with the 4th and 7 play in the end zone.  Also, the 2 pt. in the end zone at the end helped the point spread so all were happy.  Now God can have His day of rest (today) and maybe get on that kid in the hole on Tues.

I'll have to check out the ad you speak of and see what it is all about.

It was a pretty moving ad (especially for believers). I saw an article last week; it said 60% of the people surveyed believed god rewarded pro-athletes who believed and another 30% felt god influenced the outcome of games.

(Disclaimer; not certain about my numbers but you get the idea).
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Well then you can understand why the Ravens won.  SF had all those gay people...Baltimore just had a guy accused of a double murder.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »
<---- The farmer ad was moving even for atheists that work with farmers.  Strange, but true.

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:29:33 PM »
The ad tried to make it sound like the food you are putting in your mouth was grown at some family farm, whatever the fuck that means. In reality the vast majority of the food you eat is grow by some multinational company.  I tried not to watch it but was unable to turn away just like the rubber-neckers driving past some horrific accident on the freeway. VHEMT!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=vhemt&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vhemt.org%2F&ei=NbIRUfvcKevuiQKh7YHgBA&usg=AFQjCNG9w6ErApmIM87CWWZtBoV70TQLfQ&bvm=bv.41934586,d.cGE
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 06:03:22 AM »
What's a super bowl and should I care?
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:41:26 AM »
What's a super bowl

It's an American football game held once a year.

and should I care?

No.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »
Huh. That was easy ...
Next topic :D
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +240/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
They forgot to mention that God made life shitty for farmers in the first place. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
What's a super bowl and should I care?
It's a very popular event where contestants eat a giant bowl full of salad on live television in the United States, an eating contest if you will. The last one who remains eating is the victor.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:05:14 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline deconvertedone

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • My dog isn't an atheist, he thinks I'm God.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
I'm a rancher/farmer/atheist and I was offended by this ad. I actually know one of the guys in the ad too. Just remember they're still just trying to sell Ram trucks!
The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstition of the Christian religion.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton