Author Topic: To mean? [#2722]  (Read 932 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
To mean? [#2722]
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
Though of this website when I saw someone post this. Is it to mean to add another caption that says: "Well...except re-growing arms of course.."

[contact information removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +412/-14
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: To mean? [#2722]
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »
I’m afraid that is probably a genuine comment placed there by a Christian, but without the permission of the couple. It asks you to consider every limit except the obvious one of not having arms. The message is “Despite the fact that god will not replace limbs, we should be thankful, for here is a woman who has no arms and yet is apparently happy.” (But is she happy with not having arms?)

The photo and caption is supposed to tell you that God helps you be happy. Of courses, this is garbage - She probably is happy. The blind, deaf, dumb, and lame, who are made that way by God, are happy sometimes – even if they are Hindu, Moslem, Buddhist or Jewish – so God doesn’t really figure in the equation.

Of course, the poster hopes that nobody will point out that the man standing there has the full quota of arms as do 99.9% of the world’s population, and is equally happy, but he’ll be able to tie his own shoes and hold his own baby. And God is allegedly in charge of us all and able to do anything – but doesn’t. But shouldn’t it be the case that “She is happy, despite having no arms” should be “She has the right number of limbs and is happy.” Wouldn’t that be a better result?

Do you remember when your mother said, “Now you eat that up – some starving child in Africa would love that!” and you thought, “Well, he can have it.” – That never made you want to eat it, did it?  It never put anything into “perspective” (except perhaps that your mother did not think too deeply.)

Now, tell me, what impression should that photo give me? And why should it?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »
I know this is bad but I can't help it. 

Did she walk down the aisle or roll?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Hey Nick,
             I almost gave you a minus -1. Wasn't funny at all plus I assume she still has her legs.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
The photo caption is sick--like, even an amputee can get married if god. Like it had to be supernatural intervention, because nobody in their right mind would marry this woman otherwise.

It's like saying she had to put a magic spell on the guy to not notice her lack of arms or something. Yech. She is still a person, and seems although god was nice enough to get her married, he was not nice enough to give her some arms. (Godless science will, though.)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
I agree with the PPs--that caption is all sorts of fucked up.  In particular that somehow god is responsible for her finding love, or whatever.  Stupid.  And actually, what is so special about that (getting married)?  Most people in the world get married at least once.  Now if she had scaled Mt. Everest without arms-- that would more of an accomplishment. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:40:58 PM by Betelnut »

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:04 AM »
Hey Nick,
             I almost gave you a minus -1. Wasn't funny at all plus I assume she still has her legs.

why would you assume she has legs? because she's about as tall as somone with legs might be? she could be proped up on something that tall so they would be more compatible together for the photo. you know what happenes when one assumes don't you?? it could be true, but, just because YOU assume she has her legs, doesn't make it so...she could have been taken down in a wagon pulled by her dad, or a wheelchair controlled by a mouth blower thingy, we don't know, so we really shouldn't assume and sound silly :)
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:03:06 AM »

Now, tell me, what impression should that photo give me? And why should it?

What impression that photo SHOULD have given you, is that those two people were just married, and appear happy.
they're in wedding clothes with smiles. it should also tell you that she had her hair and make up done by someone else OR if she has feet, and are talented with them, she possibly could have done the make up, but the hair still needs hands... that's about all i got from it.

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
Hey Nick,

why would you assume she has legs? because she's about as tall as somone with legs might be? she could be proped up on something that tall so they would be more compatible together for the photo. you know what happenes when one assumes don't you?? it could be true, but, just because YOU assume she has her legs, doesn't make it so...she could have been taken down in a wagon pulled by her dad, or a wheelchair controlled by a mouth blower thingy, we don't know, so we really shouldn't assume and sound silly :)
    Do you assume that the people that put this photo forward thought that hey, you know what she doesn't have legs either, maybe we shouldn't show that because that wouldn't reflect positively on an all powerful, all loving god. No arms is okay to show but no arms and legs we better not show that. Why do you assume that her father is still alive or that she has a wheelchair? Your assumptions too are ridiculous.
     Computer keyboards have the ability to use capital letters just in case you didn't know this.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:05:07 AM »

Do you assume that the people that put this photo forward thought that hey, you know what she doesn't have legs either, maybe we shouldn't show that because that wouldn't reflect positively on an all powerful, all loving god. No arms is okay to show but no arms and legs we better not show that. Why do you assume that her father is still alive or that she has a wheelchair? Your assumptions too are ridiculous.
     Computer keyboards have the ability to use capital letters just in case you didn't know this.
i didn't assume anything, i said she COULD have...not that she did, COULD. huge difference there. i don't know her story or her life or anything about her, and i don't pretend to know or assume things about someone i don't know. like they have legs for instance. i don't assume her father's alive, or that she has a wheelchair. the thing is, you say MY assumptions are ridiculous,i just gave possible senario's, but you're the one who assumed something, not me. 
and as you can see, i found the capitals, thanks so much for your assistance, your a peach! gosh i feel so much smarter now i know that's an option.
again, why do you assume she has legs? just because they're not shown in the pic?

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »
^You need to use capitals hottie!  :blank:

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »
What this site needs is an armless atheist. One legged does not have quite the impact.

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

i didn't assume anything, i said she COULD have...not that she did, COULD. huge difference there. i don't know her story or her life or anything about her, and i don't pretend to know or assume things about someone i don't know. like they have legs for instance. i don't assume her father's alive, or that she has a wheelchair. the thing is, you say MY assumptions are ridiculous,i just gave possible senario's, but you're the one who assumed something, not me. 
and as you can see, i found the capitals, thanks so much for your assistance, your a peach! gosh i feel so much smarter now i know that's an option.
again, why do you assume she has legs? just because they're not shown in the pic?
  Your possible scenarios are still assumptions made with the hedge of multiple choices.
              -Emo Philips

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
What this site needs is an armless atheist. One legged does not have quite the impact.

There are no 'armless athiests, guvnor, only 'armful ones.  ;D

Just like there are no atheists in foxholes, only foxes. It's dirty and too small for a full grown adult atheist to fit. :-X
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
^You need to use capitals hottie!  :blank:

ha ha! i'm pretty sure people are able to read with or without capitals..at least i'm talented enough to do so. this isn't a court room, or formal paper i'm being graded on, i type much faster in lower case, don't like it...don't care..lol cause if that's all ya got to complain about, then i think i'm doin pretty good ;)
I COULD JUST GO ALL CAPS...WHICH WOULD YOU PREFER?? BAHAHAHAHA!! WANT ME 'SHOUTING' OR 'whispering'?? :P

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
  Your possible scenarios are still assumptions made with the hedge of multiple choices.
no, no they're not. they are exactly a miriad of possible senarios, nothing more. i don't assume any of them are true like you assumed she has legs. you sir, are rediculous. that, is not an assumption. mulitple choice doesn't make anything an assumption.
you put up a pic of someone else for your profile, do i then assume you have something in common with your photo of choice,or you have something to hide so you put up some other person's photo or do i assume this is a hero of yours, or maybe he's your uncle or someone you look up to, or someone you aspire to look like one day? just gave some multiple choices, do i assume any of them are correct? nope i don't. just possiblilities is all,i don't know you, so i don't assume anything about you from your photo aside from the fact it's obviously not you at all. 
i assumed nothing else. i don't even assume you are a man based off of your photo. so :P

edit:
would you assume i had a brain injury based off of my photo? no? well you assumed wrong...see what a photo can or can not tell you??
and as a photographer for many years, doing wedding photos, you take a huge amount of them, some full length, some up close, this is just one of them i am sure...again, you're rediculous to think they're cropping missing legs to prove a point in that it would be too much for people to take both missing legs and missing arms. you know nothing of this couple, and neither do i.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:28:45 PM by void of gods crutch »

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
  No, actually I never assumed you had a brain injury based on anything whatsoever and I couldn't care less if you do. Is this something that you are hyperconscious or sensitive about that you have to declare it for no obvious reason? Is it a matter of pride to you that you are posting what you claim to be a photo of yourself as an avatar? Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm aware that you're trying to make a point about making assumptions.
  If you take a multiple choice test do you assume that one of the answers is correct? I stand by my  previous statement.
  Please turn on the spell checker before your next post.

-Emo Philips

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 01:58:01 AM »
look biscoop, i'm not sensitive about my injury at all. i'm an open book.  i was simply making a point about assumptions. point made.
and my photo has nothing to do with pride as much as it has to do with i'm not afraid to show who i really am. i'm not an avatar, i'm not fake or hiding behind someone elses photo or a cartoon character, or a movie star. spit knows me, he can vouch for me, that's really me, it's no claim, i am who i am, like it or not, misspellings or not. capitals or NOT. you don't have to like me. i could care less. and i'm not going to bow down to the grammar police just because you can't handle someone not as perfect as you, i don't need, nor want your advice on what i need to do to make my posts appease your senses teach...save it for someone who gives a shit what others think about them, cause it's not me.
you still haven't answered why you would assume she has legs.
again, i assume nothing about someone i don't know. we aren't talking about a test. we're talking about the photo in question.