Author Topic: "It’s (Almost) Alive! Scientists Create a Near-Living Crystal"  (Read 476 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline shnozzola

Re: "It’s (Almost) Alive! Scientists Create a Near-Living Crystal"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
Excellent.  Science did these steps in how many years? - and people still doubt nature, over millions of years, with billions of natural experiments in every environment on earth.  With the natural electrochemical interactions nature "tries", our natural evolution is so much more impressive than a magic zap and create omnipotent sky daddy.  I wish theists would dare to appreciate that in the much more fun and exciting way that atheists do.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
OK, these crystals need to understand that they were made in our image and need to look up to us as gods.  Maybe a test for them ... like someplace with a tree and a talking snake .. let me think about that ... I'll get back to you on that later.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »
Incredible stuff though!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
I, for one, am happy to pledge my loyalty to our new masters.

The original link has a faulty video but it can be seen here: http://kryptonradio.com/2013/02/01/nyu-scientists-create-a-near-living-steam-propelled-crystal/

That is incredible! They're just like me! You turn the light off and I fall asleep!. But what's the commercial application? I imagine the scene:

[A warehouse:]

A: "Where's that 10 ton of cubes of hematite sheathed in a spherical polymer coat?"
B: " I don't know boss! I came in, switched the light on, and they all ran away..."

Now, if they could reproduce...
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
They should introduce the two crystals then the kids will be live, no?

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
This is so fucking cool. I hope there are aliens made of crystal.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »
This is so fucking cool. I hope there are aliens made of crystal.

Interesting. It's cropped up in science fiction time and again, but could this experiment indicate such life could theoretically exist? Any chemists out there who would care to speculate what kind of environmental conditions might make naturally-evolved photo-silicate life possible?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius