Author Topic: Happy Ground Hog Day  (Read 626 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Happy Ground Hog Day
« on: February 02, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
We celebrate this day in honor of Saint Ground Hog.  An early saint in the church.  He was killed for his faith and rose on the 3rd day to see his shadow and bring on 6 more weeks of winter.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Happy Ground Hog Day
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
Nick

Why do you keep saying that every day! Over and over!

Just curious.

Bill Murray
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »
bahahaha you guys crack me up ;)
i happen to go to a taping of the david letterman show when bill murray was on promoting groundhog's day, and rosie parez was promoting white men can't jump lol so how long ago was that!?
we haven't had much of a winter here, so i'm hoping for a lil longer..maybe at least 1 snow day for the kids :) last year, they had an entire week off for snow. this year. nada.  :-\
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
I've been thinking about Groundhog's Day, and I've decided it is an almost perfect holiday.  It has a supernatural component, of course, addressing the huge question of the return of spring.  But its timing, half way between the winter solstice and the spring equinox has a sort of pseudo-scientific basis. 

My daughter and I were up early to watch Puxatony Phil not see his shadow, and we both cheered at the outcome.  Tears streamed down my face, as I imagined flowers blooming, and the warm sunny days ahead.  Winter in the northeast really sucks, and these groundhogs really give us something to look forward to. 

Here in my hometown, Mayor Bloomberg snubbed Staten Island Chuck (Chuck did bit the mayor a few years back) and I'm pretty sure that Chuck confirmed Phil's predictions.  I'm pretty sure the mayor missed the event because he is so engaged in the round-the-clock negotiations[1] to end the school bus strike that has turned my life (and the lives of more than 100,000 families) upside down.

The mayor has proclaimed that the way to balance the city's budget is to fire all current school bus drivers, and replace them with new, inexperienced bus drivers making $4 less per hour.  Although it sure sounds like a good and fair plan, I sometimes wonder if the mayor knows as much about creating effective policies as Phil and Chuck know about the weather.   
 1. The press says he walked away from negotiations two days ago, but that can't be right, can it?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »
bahahaha you guys crack me up ;)
i happen to go to a taping of the david letterman show when bill murray was on promoting groundhog's day, and rosie parez was promoting white men can't jump lol so how long ago was that!?
we haven't had much of a winter here, so i'm hoping for a lil longer..maybe at least 1 snow day for the kids :) last year, they had an entire week off for snow. this year. nada.  :-\

Hey void, you should have sent them over to my house last week. We had loads of snow, and it was perfect for snowmen and everything. Yea, it's a long way for them to ride on their bikes, but stuff like that builds character.

Its all melting today. By Monday or so we may finally be snow-free for the first time since Christmas. Muddy though.

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
I wonder who came up with the idea of bringing a bunch of people to a town, to spend money, and watch the locals pull a rat out of a hole?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
And down South, I hear they celebrate Boss Hogg day, where if he sees his shadow, you get 6 more weeks of chasing them Duke boys.

Ye ke ke ke! :police:
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +785/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
And down South, I hear they celebrate Boss Hogg day, where if he sees his shadow, you get 6 more weeks of chasing them Duke boys.

Ye ke ke ke! :police:

God, I hated that show. It celebrated everything about the US that makes me cringe.  :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »
God, I hated that show. It celebrated everything about the US that makes me cringe.  :P

No argument here... although as a budding lesbian, Catherine Bach and her daisy dukes were a compelling reason to watch. ;)

Now, the torch has been passed to "Jerry Springer", "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" and anything with "Real Housewives" in the title. &)
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +785/-4
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »

No argument here... although as a budding lesbian, Catherine Bach and her daisy dukes were a compelling reason to watch. ;)

Well, there was that.  &)

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »

Well, there was that. 
And as an already budded not-so-much-lesbian, I found the blond guy (whose name escapes me) the first (and practically last) instance of actually appreciating guilty pleasure eye-candy. Still not sure why. Not remotely my type. I've always been much more drawn to nerdy intellectuals. I never actually liked the show either. But at that particular hormone-fueled moment of time, I managed to find it watchable. :)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +785/-4
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »
I felt the same way about Magnum PI. The plots were silly but who cared? Magnum had his shirt off--there was supposed to be a plot? :D

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
I found the blond guy (whose name escapes me)

John Schneider

It was a jiggle show, for men and women. 

He's a bit of a fudie, if I recall.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
He's a bit of a fudie, if I recall.

Phht. Oh, well...if I hadn't all but completely forgotten about him until just now, I might be disapppointed.
Always knew he didn't look all that bright.

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »

It was a jiggle show, for men and women. 

ha ha ha ha ha for some reason, that just cracks me up to think of you saying this...jiggle show..awesome +1 if i could..
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »
So did the groundhog see his shadow or what?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »
So did the groundhog see his shadow or what?

The two most famous groundhogs here in the northeast, (Phil and Staten Island Chuck) both failed to see their shadows.  So all of us here in the region are enjoying and early spring!