Author Topic: Applebee's and the God Receipt  (Read 1245 times)

Offline IAmFirst

Applebee's and the God Receipt
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »
Yes, pastors AND restaurants can be assholes:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-defends-firing-waitress-pastor-receipt-192100973.html

"- A guest questioned the tip automatically attached to her large party’s bill by writing: "I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?" on the check.
- A different server, who did not even wait on the group, photographed the receipt, posted the photo online and commented about the incident.
- The guest subsequently heard from friends who identified her from the posting, where her name is clearly visible, and the restaurant was notified. There was no further communication with the guest.
- The team member was asked about posting the receipt and admitted she was responsible."

Load of crap.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +460/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
Re: Applebee's and the God Receipt
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »
Yes, pastors AND restaurants can be assholes:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-defends-firing-waitress-pastor-receipt-192100973.html

"- A guest questioned the tip automatically attached to her large party’s bill by writing: "I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?" on the check.

A better question would be: "What need does 'God' have, for 10% of your money?"  Follow-up: "So, does he come and get it himself?"

Just another case of fractally wrong.  First of all, assuming the guest actually does tithe 10% regularly (to her church, not God--they aren't one and the same), that's 10% of her whole income.  The server's gratuity was 18% of the bill for one meal.  Unless it was a reeeeally expensive meal, there's no valid comparison between the two figures.  Also: hey, stingy Christian: there was this guy who is said to have told his followers things like, "To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again."[1]  Ever heard of that guy?   
 1. Luke 6:29-31
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 04:25:14 AM »
First Chronos, now you. Do people check before posting?

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
We should start a donation page telling this story. Allow people to donate $6.29 to be split between the server who lost their job and the one who waited on the table originally. Any thoughts?
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »
An automatic tip added onto a bill is GARBAGE
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »
Applebee's microwaves their food. It's all prepackaged and precooked. Now there's a real scandal!  :blank:

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »
There are some things that you apparently don't know about this subject.  First, waiters and waitresses are usually paid substantially less than minimum wage, to the tune of $2.13/hour (for the federal minimum wage).  The justification, I suppose, is that they can make up the difference through tips, but that's silly.  Even if they can, they should be paid the same as other workers.

Second, the automatic tip is only added on for parties with more than 8 people.  This is because it is substantially harder to manage the food for larger groups than smaller ones, plus the larger number of people requires additional work to make sure they have a good dining experience.

Now, I agree that it shouldn't be automatic, but I can see why they do it for large groups.  It isn't "garbage", as you put it.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:19 PM »
There are some things that you apparently don't know about this subject.  First, waiters and waitresses are usually paid substantially less than minimum wage, to the tune of $2.13/hour (for the federal minimum wage).  The justification, I suppose, is that they can make up the difference through tips, but that's silly.  Even if they can, they should be paid the same as other workers.

Second, the automatic tip is only added on for parties with more than 8 people.  This is because it is substantially harder to manage the food for larger groups than smaller ones, plus the larger number of people requires additional work to make sure they have a good dining experience.

Now, I agree that it shouldn't be automatic, but I can see why they do it for large groups.  It isn't "garbage", as you put it.
so the person getting 3 bucks an hour .....paid below the ALLOWED min> wage is OK?.......In Canada you must declare your tips as income so if you make $100 a night in tips(untaxed) there is a lot of unpaid taxes for a person who makes $50-$60(taxed) a night in wages......that or they CHEAT on their taxes

You see in Canada if they make 10.00 an hour in taxable income and $15 to $30 an hour in untaxed income (tips paid but tax yet collected) at the end of the year they must pay tax like you make $30 an hour but they are only taxed like they make $10 an hour....unless of course like I said they cheat. Is it different as far as tips being wage in the USA?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:25:41 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:54:22 AM »
If their combined pay (wages + tips) falls below the minimum wage, the employer is obligated to make up the difference.  However, since most wait staff jobs are at will, I doubt someone who falls short on tips will last very long.

And yes, it's legal to pay a waiter/waitress $17 per eight hour shift, as long as they get enough tips to bring them up to $58 for that time frame.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:25 AM »
If their combined pay (wages + tips) falls below the minimum wage, the employer is obligated to make up the difference.  However, since most wait staff jobs are at will, I doubt someone who falls short on tips will last very long.

And yes, it's legal to pay a waiter/waitress $17 per eight hour shift, as long as they get enough tips to bring them up to $58 for that time frame.
WOW not like that in Canada

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »
Working for less than 10 bucks an hour, and having to whore yourself to make enough money to pay your bills is the real garbage.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
WOW not like that in Canada

It's even worse than that (unless things have changed). If the restaurant has busboys (who are making minimum wage) the wait staff are expected to give the busboys a portion of the tips. Also, the federal government assumes the wait staff people get the necessary minimum in tips to reach minimum wage. The federal government also assumes the wait staff people get a certain percentage for tips and tax them based on that percentage (based on meal sales IIRC) as a minimum. So whether the person actually makes the money, they get taxed based on the larger of: their reported tips versus the government's assumed estimate of what they recieved.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
Working for less than 10 bucks an hour, and having to whore yourself to make enough money to pay your bills is the real garbage.
agreed......you will get no argument here

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
Does this mean the waitress doesn't have to put $0.63 an extra in the basket on Sunday?
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 07:00:40 AM »
Andrew Sullivan: Tipping and Tithing
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +460/-15
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
The Brits have a reputation in the US for not tipping or tipping poorly. I was recently at arguably the best restaurant in the UK and there was a 12½% "service charge". (This is the average of the 10-15% suggested by most social commentators) It is legal to withhold all or part of the so-called charge if you feel that the service has not been satisfactory.

Do I tip the pilot of my plane, the doctor, the shopkeeper, the garage mechanic, the paperboy, the postman, the plumber, electrician and the builder, the bus driver? No.

(But we tip a taxi driver...)

What distinguishes these professions from waiters?

"Oh! We do that because we have always done it!" I hear you say. "We do it so the employer can display a menu with deceptively low prices,; so the employer can fail to pay his workers a realistic wage; we do it because handing out money to the "small people" makes us feel good."

Ban tips. Your argument for bad service is with the boss - the man who employs the waiter, pilot of my plane, the doctor, the shopkeeper, the garage mechanic, the paperboy, the postman, the plumber, electrician and the builder, the bus driver and telling everyone you meet how bad it is..

Your argument for good service is repeat business and telling everyone you meet how good it is.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »
Refraining from tipping is an ineffective means of protesting the current, unfair system that requires tips.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
What to do, what to do....

1)Patronize businesses that treat their employees well. That is the main power consumers have.
2)When minumum wage laws are on the ballot, vote for them.
3)And, oh yeah, let's get more minumum wage laws on the ballot.
4)Give generous tips, until there is no more need for tips. That goes along with nogodsforme's atheist golden rule. :angel:

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +460/-15
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
Refraining from tipping is an ineffective means of protesting the current, unfair system that requires tips.
I didn't say refrain, I said "ban".

Anyway, what is an effective way of ensuring that there is more than a minimum wage, a living wage? (There is a movement afoot for a living wage' in the UK at the moment.)

What to do, what to do....

4)Give generous tips, until there is no more need for tips.
I agree with the first three but if I were an employer, and I could be assured that everyone gave huge tips, I would require my waiters to buy permission to be working in the restaurant - say $100 a day - the rest would be theirs.

I would also employ nobody, they would all be self-employed on a daily basis, and as required, so that they had zero rights.

This system does happen: in the UK, pole-dancers pay so much up-front to dance and keep the tips.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:07:29 PM by Graybeard »

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
I didn't say refrain, I said "ban".

That is not in your power to accomplish personally.  What is in your power to accomplish, is refraining from tipping.  And I suspect, based on your attitude in this thread (including in your response here to nogodsforme), that that's what you actually do.

Anyway, what is an effective way of ensuring that there is more than a minimum wage, a living wage? (There is a movement afoot for a living wage' in the UK at the moment.)

I think you answered your own question.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:09 PM »
There are PLENTY establishments that exist that where tipping isnt customary. If you are against tipping, I would suggest frequenting those establishments: McDonalds, Burger King, etc. The tipping DOES indeed provide incentive for the server to give better service. TBH though, hell, raise the prices by 300% or more to account for the living wage of the server.

How did I come up with 300%? well in my state the server minimum wage is 4.96/hr TBH, serving isnt a job I would do, and certainly not well, for less than 15 bucks an hour on average. If theyre going to triple my wage they have to get the money from somewhere. (restaurants I have worked at hardly turn a profit on entrees, the money is in the libations, appetizers, and deserts) So, in order to pay me a wage worth doing the job, your $10 burger is now a $30 burger, no tip of course. Or you can have your two burgers, two soft drinks, and a desert for $30 and leave me $6.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:35:52 PM by The Gawd »

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »
Tipping is one of those irritating things that just has to happen. I use it to round my bills up to the nearest pound. Took a taxi today, came to £8.70, asked for a receipt for £9. Meant I didn't get 30p change that I would never spend.

It has its benefits however, I got paid £150 for an hour's playing at a wedding once. The couple I played for gave me a £10 tip as well. I didn't understand why, but obviously didn't complain.

Guess it's a stand-off between the tipper and the tippee.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
First Chronos, now you. Do people check before posting?

-Nam

Yes, Nam. People DO check before posting. Nothing came up for "god receipt" or "Applebee's".

Mods, you can close the thread.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:06 AM »
Things like this fucking make me hate mainstream religion even more. That poor woman... fired for posting that retarded pastors receipt on the internet? The pastor didn't need to be rude like that, he could have just left without even leaving a tip. Applebees sucks anyway. Every time I go there they always undercook my steak when I ask for well done.
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »
Things like this fucking make me hate mainstream religion even more. That poor woman... fired for posting that retarded pastors receipt on the internet? The pastor didn't need to be rude like that, he could have just left without even leaving a tip. Applebees sucks anyway. Every time I go there they always undercook my steak when I ask for well done.
Ask them to microwave it a little longer and then you should be good to go!  :blank:

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »
Its because youre ruining a steak bro... get that joint medium rare, you'll thank me later