Author Topic: Missouri ups the craziness  (Read 726 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Missouri ups the craziness
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
I'm embarrassed to even post this but its my state and they are at the crazy sh it again.

Missouri state senator Dan Brown (R) from Rolla, Mo has a bill that will require all 1st graders to take the NRA-sponsored gun class in school.  Teachers must also along with some other gun related training.

Don't fuck with Missouri 1st graders.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Re: Missouri ups the craziness
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
Phew! For a moment there, I though you were going to say they were going to mandate teaching creationism in public schools! Now that would be crazy! :o

"So, what do you want for your birthday this year, Billy? A Bushmaster .223 caliber– model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips? Well, only if you get A's in class, young man!"

Ugh.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:23 PM »
"So, what do you want for your birthday this year, Billy? A Bushmaster .223 caliber– model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round clips? Well, only if you get A's in class, young man!"

"You'll shoot your eye out!"
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
I think I've told this story here before, but it is apropos.

I was working on a construction job on a big ranch in Texas, and the owner had a five or six year old daughter. Her best friends were the two slightly older sons of the ranch foreman. The three of them would walk around in the woods alone barefooted (in rattlesnake/copperhead/cottonmouth/coral snake/fire ant/scorpion/god knows what else country) with a 22 rifle, shooting things. They had 2500 acres with two huge lakes (which had alligators in them) to play in.

The last I knew most of them were still alive. (well, all of them, but I had to make it funny). Saw the girl on a hunting program her daddy produces for the hunting channel and she still had all of her limbs and stuff when she was 12 or so.

All three of the rich guys kids had their own unlocked gun cabinets in each of their bedrooms. Full of guns. The six year old ( the youngest) had a custom downsized Remington 700 that fit nicely in her little girl hands.

All I can say is that Texans take "survival of the fittest" quite seriously for religious folks.

Kids who live around guns should indeed have gun safety courses, but I'd prefer ones that are not taught by highly biased nuts.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

:laugh: You. You're good, you. :)

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
Kids who live around guns should indeed have gun safety courses, but I'd prefer ones that are not taught by highly biased nuts.

You make a valid point, but I cannot help but feel that 6 and 7 year olds shouldn't be handling firearms. Not looking for a debate... just my personal opinion.

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 02:52:08 PM »

You make a valid point, but I cannot help but feel that 6 and 7 year olds shouldn't be handling firearms. Not looking for a debate... just my personal opinion.

I agree, but how to handle firearms safely is not the only aspect of gun safety training.  The NRA's own gun safety program for children (Eddie Eagle) doesn't even include that at all.  The message the program carries is, if you [a child] see an unattended firearm, "Stop, don't touch, leave the area, find an adult".
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »
I thought it was, "stop, drop, and roll".

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »
I thought it was, "stop, drop, and roll".

No, that's for when you're on fire.  Also good to know.  Just be sure you don't get them mixed up.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
But don't you say "fire" before you shoot?

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
I agree, but how to handle firearms safely is not the only aspect of gun safety training.  The NRA's own gun safety program for children (Eddie Eagle) doesn't even include that at all.  The message the program carries is, if you [a child] see an unattended firearm, "Stop, don't touch, leave the area, find an adult".

Thanks for the clarification. This I can agree with. I was more concerned with PP's mention of a 6 year old having her own custom-made gun.

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
But don't you say "fire" before you shoot?

Nah, that's only for when you're telling someone else to shoot.

Well, actually, sometimes you do have to announce it.  If you're at the range and you've had a ceasefire for a while for whatever reason and you're getting ready to start again, you're supposed to announce it before you start firing again so everyone else knows to put on their hearing protection.  And in CSI, when they're firing a gun to test ballistics, they announce it so that the cops don't come running to kill whoever's shooting the gun (which is probably what they do in real life crime labs as well).  So yea, I guess sort of.

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. This I can agree with. I was more concerned with PP's mention of a 6 year old having her own custom-made gun.

Yeah, I'm not too comfortable with that, either.  It's fairly common in pro-gun circles for parents to teach their children to shoot (and get safety training and so on) at fairly young ages, typically pre-teen to early teen, but I've never heard of something quite like this.  And actually, I'm not sure that even middle school age is old enough, either.  I'm inclined to think that shooting is an adult activity.  No one would think it's a good idea to let a 12-year-old drive, vote, drink, smoke, or have sex, and yet a lot of shooting enthusiasts will start teaching their children to shoot right around that age.  I'm not comfortable with it.  Then again, I have no children and didn't fire a gun for the first time myself until I was about 28 years old, so maybe it's just me.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
seems like a ploy to funnel 'gummint' money to the NRA while simultaneously indoctrinating children into gun culture.

It's funny Missouri has terrible reproductive eduction, terrible teen pregnancy rate, terrible STD rate.  But they think teaching all kids about gun safety is important.  Perhaps the state should be renamed "Misery".  It's really just a matter of emphasis.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
We (Missouri) are just trying to out do Mississippi.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »
I had a LEGO machine gun in 2nd grade. I built it myself, and everything.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:27 AM »
We (Missouri) are just trying to out do Mississippi.

I wish you and your sister nothing but the best with your upcoming wedding. ;)

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm not too comfortable with that, either.  It's fairly common in pro-gun circles for parents to teach their children to shoot (and get safety training and so on) at fairly young ages, typically pre-teen to early teen, but I've never heard of something quite like this.  And actually, I'm not sure that even middle school age is old enough, either.  I'm inclined to think that shooting is an adult activity.  No one would think it's a good idea to let a 12-year-old drive, vote, drink, smoke, or have sex, and yet a lot of shooting enthusiasts will start teaching their children to shoot right around that age.  I'm not comfortable with it.  Then again, I have no children and didn't fire a gun for the first time myself until I was about 28 years old, so maybe it's just me.

I'm totally with you. I think a good yardstick would be that if the kid is too young to purchase a video game depicting realistic gun action (Call of Duty series for example), then they're too young to handle the real deal.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 12:55:36 PM »
I'm stuck in MO another couple of years. We had no gun stuff in my kids' suburban schools. Do they still do ROTC in high schools? March with wooden rifles etc.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »
We had real rifles at my High School (and swords) but the rifles didn't work (purposely).

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey