Author Topic: Why do people believe in god  (Read 527 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
Why do people believe in god
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »
Part 1 Beavis and Butthead, or Error management theory. 
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200803/why-do-we-believe-in-god

Part 2 Overactive agency detection and paranoia
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200803/why-do-we-believe-in-god-ii
We may believe in God for the same reason that women have to keep slapping Beavis and Butt-head to set them straight.

I am pretty sure that means we have to slap religious people to set them straight.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Why do people believe in god
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
If that worked, Beavis and Butthead wouldn't keep trying to hit on girls (and needing to be slapped).

It sounds to me that the problem isn't in the overactive false-positive detection, but in getting people to realize that they need to not let it control them.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
Great articles screwtape. They make sense to me. Now pardon me while I go see why the snow is melting outside. The most obvious reason would be that a flying saucer is heating up the area as it prepares to land and kidnap me...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
WoW, my day is filled with false positives.

Ya know screwtape, you just crushed all my fantasies....   :'(
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
WoW, my day is filled with false positives.

Ya know screwtape, you just crushed all my fantasies....   :'(

Hey, none of us knew you felt that way about Beavis and Butthead  :P
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
First class stuff, thanks for the links screwtape - makes a lot of sense to me :)

I've got one tiny bit of puzzlement about it ... if women don't naturally make the Beavis & Butthead mistake, how come so many of them make such good theists?  :-\ :angel:   Perhaps there's a bit of faking things to please their men  ;)

Another thought - while it's a potential explanation of why people are predisposed to believe in gods, it's not a satisfactory explanation for the power of religion to distort peoples lives in such a variety of bizarre ways.  For that we need to factor in some additional devious creative force or incentive i.e. the real benefits for clergy who shape and exploit a 'tribal' loyalty around their particular brand of the meme.  The immoral manipulation of the gullible into obsequious dependency and misplaced generosity.  It's the power of the payoff for clergy - influence, admiration, sex, wealth, and all the perks and benefits of sheltered employment.
Git mit uns