Author Topic: Cheap A$$  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Cheap A$$
« on: January 30, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
A pastor left a waiter a note on his bill.  "I give God 10%.  Why do you get 18%?"  He put a "0" on the tip line.  Said, his work under God absolved him of having to leave a tip.

Aren't preachers  stand up guys/gals?

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/31/pastors-comment-on-receipt-i-give-god-10-why-do-you-get-18/

Details added GB
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 01:49:16 PM by Graybeard »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Re: Cheap A$$
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
My response to that is that the pastor doesn't have to pay any taxes and he also probably cheats the tax laws and somehow has all sorts of goods/services deducted through church tax loopholes.

^^^ And this is one of the biggest problems I have with religions is that they're absolved from taxes; oh, and the fact that they spread lies (even if they support them emotinally), warp the minds of children etc...
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
A pastor left a waiter a note on his bill.  "I give God 10%.  Why do you get 18%?"  He put a "0" on the tip line.  Said, his work under God absolved him of having to leave a tip.

Are you perhaps a Redditor, Nick?

Anyway, I wish I had been the waiter. I would have casually said "Hey, I expected more because I actually did something! I would think that my charging less than twice as much for infinitely more work would seem like a pretty good deal to you."

Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Online pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

Reminds me of a letter I read in a "Dear Abby" column some years ago.  A man sent in a letter saying that whenever he ate at a restaurant, instead of leaving a tip, he left a little card with some kind of an inspirational saying on it (sometimes scripture, sometimes something else), saying that he hoped he could "lift someone's spirits" or something like that instead of simply giving mere money, like everyone else does.  Abby responded by saying she thought it was a wonderful idea and was delighted to hear about it.

Not long afterward, she received a torrent of letters from various waitstaff around the nation.  One of them said she was a single mother of two whose husband had "traded her in for a younger model".  She wanted to know which grocery stores she would be able to take the little sayings to to buy food for her children.  Someone else pointed out that waitstaff can legally be paid a base wage of half the minimum wage, the assumption being that tips are going to bring that up to, and typically over, minimum wage level.  A third person said that the original letter writer was probably just trying to figure out a way to justify being a cheapskate -- he struck me as just being clueless, not malicious, but I suppose that was also possible.

Abby, to her credit, confessed that there was a lot about waitstaff pay that she hadn't known and that there were obviously a lot of other things she hadn't thought about, and she retracted her original response, telling her readers instead to please leave a proper tip.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +554/-22
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »
Last I checked, pastors and other church staff were paid out of the money tithed to a church.

Maybe people who go to this pastor's church should take that into consideration when deciding how much to give?  If a bunch of people left notes instead of giving money, it would sure change his tune.

EDIT--Some of the comments on that page screwtape linked are infuriating.  Like the one who suggested that wait staff should be willing to sacrifice their children in order to get a 12.5% tip.  What a moron.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:49:01 PM by jaimehlers »
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +35/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
Reminds me of a letter I read in a "Dear Abby" column some years ago.  A man sent in a letter saying that whenever he ate at a restaurant, instead of leaving a tip, he left a little card with some kind of an inspirational saying on it (sometimes scripture, sometimes something else), saying that he hoped he could "lift someone's spirits" or something like that instead of simply giving mere money, like everyone else does.  Abby responded by saying she thought it was a wonderful idea and was delighted to hear about it.
When I worked in retail, us workers would joke that we were paid in "atta boys".  Someone would say "The boss gave me five atta boys today, but they don't spend very well."

I've known only a handful of ministers that would actually give money fairly loosely.  I think in my experience in small churches the ministers probably were not paid very high and so would have to budget their money wisely.  But they always have time to talk your ear off.  They are never lacking for time to talk about their nonsense. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +57/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »
EDIT--Some of the comments on that page screwtape linked are infuriating.  Like the one who suggested that wait staff should be willing to sacrifice their children in order to get a 12.5% tip.  What a moron.

Considering the poster of that comment starts out by referring to Chili's and Applebee's as "high end" dining, I'm pretty sure it was just a lame attempt at sarcastic humor.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:54 AM »
Funny story when my wife and I were 20 years old and I was in the Army she worked at Olive Garden. At this point she had been waiting tables for 5 years. She finally got tired of the bad tips and she said something. The customer left her the coin change as a tip. So she took it to them as they were leaving. She asked if there was anything wrong with their service. They said not at all. She said people typically tip about 15% of the check. She handed them their change back. Well she got fired from Olive Garden.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
Do these people realize that Servers don't make what, oh say, as much as the busser does an hour? Or do they just not care?

-Nam

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:39 AM »
I've known only a handful of ministers that would actually give money fairly loosely.  I think in my experience in small churches the ministers probably were not paid very high and so would have to budget their money wisely. 

And yet, in this case, could afford to eat out.  If your money is that tight, you don't eat in a restaurant.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 04:11:01 AM »
Do these people realize that Servers don't make what, oh say, as much as the busser does an hour? Or do they just not care?

Someone else pointed out that waitstaff can legally be paid a base wage of half the minimum wage, the assumption being that tips are going to bring that up to, and typically over, minimum wage level. 

Quite likely they don't.  I sure didn't know that a waiter could be paid so little by the business.

However, what I don't get is why the tip has to be a percentage.  A waiter who serves me the cheapest items on the menu is not doing significantly less work than a waiter who brings the most expensive.  Its the same number of trips to the kitchen, for example.

Would it not be a more reasonable sytem to (for example) tip a flat rate per item?  Say, $1 per drink, $3 per dish, something like that?  To give a ridiculous example.....if I order a $1 glass of lemonade, I should tip 18c.  But if I order a $20 cocktail, I should tip $3.60.  Why should that be?  (I'm assuming that the waiter doesn't prepare the drinks themselves, but takes the order to the bar and brings the drink back).

Unless of course tips are shared with the bar staff and all the kitchen staff as well - is that the case?  I don't know!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Online pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 07:02:22 AM »

Someone else pointed out that waitstaff can legally be paid a base wage of half the minimum wage, the assumption being that tips are going to bring that up to, and typically over, minimum wage level. 

Quite likely they don't.  I sure didn't know that a waiter could be paid so little by the business.

I don't think it's common knowledge.  I didn't know that, either, until shortly after high school when I happened to be waited on in a sit-down restaurant by a former classmate.  At the time, the minimum wage was $4.25 an hour -- he told me he was being paid $2.13 an hour and explained why.  I just about fainted.  (NB also that this was in Honolulu, which is most definitely not known for a low cost of living.)

Unless of course tips are shared with the bar staff and all the kitchen staff as well - is that the case?  I don't know!

Different restaurants have different policies.  Another friend of mine was a waitress and barmaid (changing duties on different nights) at a medium-upper end sit-down restaurant.  She told me that all tips received during any particular shift were pooled, and when the shift was over, each member of the waitstaff and bar staff received an equal share.  (I don't think bussers or kitchen staff were included, but I don't remember for sure.)  The assumption was that, if everyone shared equal responsibility for keeping customers satisfied and thus ensuring satisfactory tips, waitstaff would be motivated to help each other out in case any one of them suddenly got overwhelmed for some reason.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:45 AM »
I heard of one case where the opener pooled all the tips, then gave out only enough for each waitperson to get minimum wage. And he kept the rest.

I usually tip around 20%, always rounding up to the next dollar. People don't need change. And I never tip under $2 no matter how cheap the meal is. Other people have to eat.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
Hey PP.  Look both ways before crossing the street.

Where is my 2 bucks? ;)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Hey PP.  Look both ways before crossing the street.

Where is my 2 bucks? ;)

Hey Nick, be careful when trying to make a quick buck.

We're even.  ;D

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
Well, the story does not end there.  Now the waitress has been fired from an Applbee's in the St. Louis area after the pastor came back and complained to the manager about being embarrassed about the bill being online.  That is what Jesus would have done.  Pastor's name is Alois Bell for the record.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +554/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
A large percentage of people who work in the service industry are paid less than minimum wage because tips are considered a significant percentage of their income.  This includes bell hops in hotels, folks who delivery pizza or Chinese food to your front door, folks who valet park your cars, manicurists, (most) hair stylists, coat check staff at nightclubs, (some) tour guides, 90% of the staff who work on a cruise ship, and of course waitstaff, bartenders, and sometimes even kitchen staff, who in some restaurants get a percentage of the waistaff tips.

If you can't afford to give a tip, then you can't afford the service.  If the service was unsatisfactory, then you can, and should, refuse to tip.  Otherwise, there is no excuse. 

Some employers use the laws allowing them to pay less than minimum wage to staff getting tips as a way to get around paying staff minimum wage.  In my neighborhood, a local Dunkin Donuts was paying its cashiers less than minimum wage, because there was a jar by the cash register that said "tips welcome."  I went crazy when I heard this.  Most people don't tip cashiers.  But I think that most people DO tip waitstaff.

There was also a scandal a few years back at a local supermarket, which allowed "employees" to bag your groceries for you, but did not pay them anything.  They had a tip can, and they were working only for tips. 

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +676/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
I'm surprised that the pastor didn't try to talk her way out of paying the tax, too. Hell, why should she just be able to eat out for free? She's doing the lord's work, after all.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
I'm surprised that the pastor didn't try to talk her way out of paying the tax, too. Hell, why should she just be able to eat out for free? She's doing the lord's work, after all.
She should not have to eat out at all.  Two fish and a loaf of bread should do if Jesus would pull off that party trick for her.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:52 AM »

At a restaurant I once worked at as a Dishwasher I would sometimes bus tables when really busy. If I bussed for more than 2 hours the servers had to give me a percentage of their tips.

-Nam

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +250/-31
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »
However, what I don't get is why the tip has to be a percentage.  A waiter who serves me the cheapest items on the menu is not doing significantly less work than a waiter who brings the most expensive.  Its the same number of trips to the kitchen, for example.

However, a flat rate does not create a monetary incentive to promote more items, or more expensive items.  From the employer's POV, it makes sense.
Unless you are Scarlett Johansason or something.  lol  i'd like to punish her with  my baby.  lol

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
A large percentage of people who work in the service industry are paid less than minimum wage because tips are considered a significant percentage of their income.  This includes bell hops in hotels, folks who delivery pizza or Chinese food to your front door, folks who valet park your cars, manicurists, (most) hair stylists, coat check staff at nightclubs, (some) tour guides, 90% of the staff who work on a cruise ship, and of course waitstaff, bartenders, and sometimes even kitchen staff, who in some restaurants get a percentage of the waistaff tips.

Off topic, but same with car detailers. Next time you get your car detailed, tip. When I detailed cars I got paid 4 bucks an hour. However, the money was good. For 24 hours a week I'd bring home close to 500 bucks a week. One time I was detailing a guys car and he claimed to have spent all his money for the service and didn't have any for a tip. This was Teppo Numminen, former hockey player for the Sabres. God I was pissed. I wanted to point him in the direction of the ATM, but chickened out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:36:37 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +69/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
Well, the story does not end there.  Now the waitress has been fired from an Applbee's in the St. Louis area after the pastor came back and complained to the manager about being embarrassed about the bill being online.  That is what Jesus would have done.  Pastor's name is Alois Bell for the record.

Right now I'm wishing I managed a restaurant in the area. I'd hire her just out of spite.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »

However, a flat rate does not create a monetary incentive to promote more items, or more expensive items.  From the employer's POV, it makes sense.

Probably another good idea would be to tip based, at least in part, on how long you've stayed at the table.  If Jane waits on a party who uses one table for two hours, while one of Bill's tables gets three different parties in the same period, he'll have more opportunities to get tipped.  On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't really make any difference in a restaurant where tips are pooled... I just don't know how common that practice is.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +69/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 12:43:25 PM »
On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't really make any difference in a restaurant where tips are pooled... I just don't know how common that practice is.

It seems to be far more common in chain restaurants than independant, local restaurants, at least in my neck of the woods. And I'd be none too happy about the pooling practice either, FWIW. Unless, of course, I was a slacker.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »

Apparently this faithful 10% god-taxpayer is yet to read Colossians 3: 12 - 13.

The post's title is quite befitting.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 03:10:14 AM »

Probably another good idea would be to tip based, at least in part, on how long you've stayed at the table.  If Jane waits on a party who uses one table for two hours, while one of Bill's tables gets three different parties in the same period, he'll have more opportunities to get tipped.  On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't really make any difference in a restaurant where tips are pooled... I just don't know how common that practice is.

Best idea, I think, would be to change the law so that ALL workers get paid minimum wage, and thats it.  Then tipping would be what it is intended to be - a bonus for exceptional service - rather than an obligation to make up insufficient wages.