Author Topic: Islamic extremists burn library full of ancient manuscripts in Timbuktu  (Read 888 times)

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
To say that this is tragic would seem a terrible understatement.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/28/islamist-extremists-torch-timbuktu-library-full-of-historic-manuscripts-as-french-malian-forces-prepare-to-retake-city/

From the article:

Ousmane Halle said he heard about the burnings early Monday.

“It’s truly alarming that this has happened,” he told The Associated Press by telephone from Mali’s capital, Bamako, on Monday. “They torched all the important ancient manuscripts. The ancient books of geography and science. It is the history of Timbuktu, of its people.”

Apparently they've been destroying other historical sites and artifacts as well.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Re: Islamic extremists burn library full of ancient manuscripts in Timbuktu
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
It would be soo tragic if something happened to their precious mecca..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:44:27 PM »
It is always sad when you lose history because of stupidity.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »
 Is anyone really surprised? First it was the Buddhist statues in Afghanistan, now this. Next...who can say.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »
Much as it's tempting to call in the Piranha Brothers to deal with that little Borg cube in Mecca, I'd vastly prefer something of completely natural origin.  A very localized magnitude 9.6 earthquake that destroys the Ka'aba but harms no living things sounds about right.

Okay, something like that would definitely stretch the definition of "natural" just a bit, but it'd be quite apt.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
How about a North Korean missal that just happens to go off track?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:12:12 PM »

Slightly more likely than My scenario, but considerably more likely to hurt someone.  :(
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »

Slightly more likely than My scenario, but considerably more likely to hurt someone.  :(
Hey, look at how many they kill running around some piller throwing stones at the devil.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38:05 PM »
It's truly sad when religious fanatics destroy ancient history because it offends their sensibilities.

Frankly, I say that anyone who does that deserves to be executed in a manner befitting such crudity.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
UPDATE

Uh-oh, it looks like that report may have been premature.

An article from "The Globe and Mail" says:

The city’s mayor, exiled far away in Mali’s capital, alleged that the Islamist extremists had torched the manuscript libraries, burning them to the ground. This was quickly disproved by a Sky TV crew embedded with the French soldiers, who found the main library intact, alleviating the worst fears of many scholars.

Inside the library, television reports showed a few small piles of ash, along with dozens of empty boxes. Up to 10,000 manuscripts were gone. The immediate assumption was that the Islamist militia groups had stolen or destroyed them – although subsequent reports suggested that many of them had been hidden and saved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/priceless-manuscripts-missing-in-timbuktu/article7903879/

It sounds to me like it may take a while to get it all sorted out.

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
love how they can burn important documents and no one really does anything about it, they can burn our flags...where are the riots? where's the upset?
but when someone burns their precious koran, or holy books, or says a bad word about it, holy hell is breaking lose. never mind that the history books are slightly more accurate and important that a religious book of any kind. people are idots. again and again, we are shown they are idiots who can't control themselves yet demand all the power.
and the korean missle idea isn't all that bad of one...better to blow up over there, than over here if it's gonna go off. i'm on the west coast, and i wouldn't be shocked to learn that their missle can travel further than we've anticipated..or been told.
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:22:34 AM »
It's a mriacle.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 06:25:22 AM »
Civilization vs the Barbarians? 

The behavior of extremists muslims is despicable.  I was outraged when the taliban destroyed the buddhist statues, and this outrages me even more.  How can anyone defend this kind of behavior?  And yet, just a few months ago, people were excusing jihad and bristling at the characterization of jihadists as barbarians because israel is so horrible.  I don't care how damned horrible israel is, there is no excuse for violent acts against anyone outside of the 'conflict', and those that destroy history... I can't quite express my anger towards those criminals.

NB: it doesn't have to be this way.  The egyptians value their pre-muslim heritage.  The turks converted haglia sofia into a mosque but left it pretty much intact.  Muslims have been pretty tolerant folks, and have a long history of respect for knowledge.  The criminal and murderous activities of those intent on destroying any instance of non-islamic civilization they encounter need to be stopped.  This is crap!

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:50 PM »
Could you imagine the reaction if we lobbed a few dozen cruise missiles at Mecca and Medina. Just for laughs of course.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
Hope they made copies.

Oh yeah: the mentality of, they destroy our precious stuff, we destroy theirs let's not think that they are in the minority, and all.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
To say that this is tragic would seem a terrible understatement.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/28/islamist-extremists-torch-timbuktu-library-full-of-historic-manuscripts-as-french-malian-forces-prepare-to-retake-city/

From the article:
Ousmane Halle said he heard about the burnings early Monday.

“It’s truly alarming that this has happened,” he told The Associated Press by telephone from Mali’s capital, Bamako, on Monday. “They torched all the important ancient manuscripts. The ancient books of geography and science. It is the history of Timbuktu, of its people.”

Apparently they've been destroying other historical sites and artifacts as well.

There is some irony in the fact that most of the books would be by Islamic scholars; the mujahedin seem to believe the alleged excuse for the burning of the library at Alexandria:

Caliph Omar is reputed to have said,  of the Library's books, "they will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous."[1]
 1. the truth is more obscure and probably more prosaic: http://ehistory.osu.edu/world/articles/articleview.cfm?aid=9
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 08:45:41 AM »
Caliph Omar is reputed to have said,  of the Library's books, "they will either contradict the Koran, in which case they are heresy, or they will agree with it, so they are superfluous."[1]
 1. the truth is more obscure and probably more prosaic: http://ehistory.osu.edu/world/articles/articleview.cfm?aid=9

How wise.

Christians obvious had this attitude, which is why nothing back up the Bible.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.