Author Topic: is god imaginary?  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Re: is god imaginary?
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »
His god is also the most supremely-incompetent supernatural entity in the known universe: you can't even get out of the Book of Genesis without the Notorious G.O.D. having his 2ND in command (and a 1/3 of the heavenly host)... the 1st two humans he created (Adam & his shorty, Eve) then 99.999999% of the rest of humanity (the flood) either ignoring, disobeying or rebelling against him.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:25 AM »
His god is also the most supremely-incompetent supernatural entity in the known universe: you can't even get out of the Book of Genesis without the Notorious G.O.D. having his 2ND in command (and a 1/3 of the heavenly host)... the 1st two humans he created (Adam & his shorty, Eve) then 99.999999% of the rest of humanity (the flood) either ignoring, disobeying or rebelling against him.
he has proven to be supremely inadequate throughout his autobiography. Its the reason that even if Christians are right about all this, that Im not scared because I doubt this Yahweh character can even carry his plans out. He's failed at literally everything so far. I mean, if you cant beat iron chariots how can you beat a steal car?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 06:57:52 AM »
.....Im not scared because I doubt this Yahweh character can even carry his plans out. He's failed at literally everything so far. I mean, if you cant beat iron chariots how can you beat a steal car?

This got me thinking......

Yahweh was defeated by iron chariots, as you say.  But he also - despite repeated and visible interventions in the world - was unable to convince the vast, vast majority of people that he was "The One".  In the years BC, despite being the ONLY god in existence (according to him), and despite being regularly "in your face", by the year zero his chosen people were a minority group of vagabonds treated as second-class citizens by anyone who even had heard of them.  So despite all the posturing and bragging in the OT, he doesn't seem to have acheived much with his creation.

Then we get the New T, with its New Rules and Covenent...wait, what?  A third of the Bible, devoted to giving a message that was either different (so why the change?), or just repeating a message that had been unsuccessfully delivered over the past few millennia.  So - what - tenth time lucky at best?  What price an omnimax god who can't get his message across the first time?

Ah, but we apparently needed a sacrifice.....in which case, surely a better sacrifice to let Herod slay the Christ-child at the beginning?  A total innocent, god's embodiment on earth, cut down while still a baby?  Now THAT is a message.

But no....JC gets to live for thirty-odd years, roam the region, and spout his new/old message (see above).  And then gets nailed up.  Am I the only one who suspects that maybe Yahweh had a quite different plan in mind for JC, but was - once again - thwarted by the people of Earth, and was forced to spin a yarn along the lines of "oh yes, I meant that to happen all along!"?

Especally because - since then - there has not been hide nor hair of Yahweh on Earth.  Maybe it DID all go toes up - he embodied on Earth, died, went to hell.....and is still there now and forever, due to another monumental screw-up in his plans?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
he has proven to be supremely inadequate throughout his autobiography. Its the reason that even if Christians are right about all this, that Im not scared because I doubt this Yahweh character can even carry his plans out. He's failed at literally everything so far. I mean, if you cant beat iron chariots how can you beat a steal car?

Not only that, but do you notice how everytime he attempts to punish the United States for allowing (in some states) same-sex marriages, that he can never smite with any precision godless gays such as myself or those who support us?

"Me dammit! I accidentily wiped out a couple hundred of my devout followers with that hurricane I sent! D'oh! That earthquake was only supposed to demolish homosexual's homes! I'm must be getting sloppy in my eternal age...."

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »

But no....JC gets to live for thirty-odd years, roam the region, and spout his new/old message (see above).  And then gets nailed up.  Am I the only one who suspects that maybe Yahweh had a quite different plan in mind for JC, but was - once again - thwarted by the people of Earth, and was forced to spin a yarn along the lines of "oh yes, I meant that to happen all along!"?

For a good laugh, try searching for the excuses Xtians make when asked why god didn't send Jesus after Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden, or even before Noah's flood.

On two seperate Christian sites, the authors both give the excuse that "we learn within time": meaning that god... despite already knowing in advance what would eventually happen... wanted to give humanity a chance to "learn about longsuffering, glory, and mercy".

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 02:34:45 PM »
@anfauglir

That is actually a theory i posed in wwgha. That in order for jeebus' sacrifice to be considered a sacrifice then he would actually have to give up something. Giving up being human to be gawd isnt a sacrifice at all. So perhaps he really did die on the cross as a real sacrifice then that would explain no detectable trace since the crucifixion... however it would totally destroy the resurrection story.

So i did pose the idea that yahweh may actually be dead. Or maybe he lost those battles in other provinces he may just be dead. Or maybe Lucipher got sick of his shit and killed him, he may just be dead. To conclude; maybe yahweh is dead.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 04:40:01 PM »
Put like that, the 'sacrifice' Jesus is supposed to have made sounds not a little strange. However, why get a god involved in all this stuff? A god isn't needed to explain the whole bible. The fact that an omnimax being couldn't get a sacrifice right would surely be the best evidence yet for the fact that the being is fiction.

So, yes, Jesus went on the quick lime pile after he died and was resurrected as.. grass, trees. The disciples put the story together over the tomb and the resurrection as a person.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
No "god" is not imaginary. Yes all "gods" are imaginary.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 07:09:49 PM »

Not only that, but do you notice how everytime he attempts to punish the United States for allowing (in some states) same-sex marriages, that he can never smite with any precision godless gays such as myself or those who support us?

"Me dammit! I accidentily wiped out a couple hundred of my devout followers with that hurricane I sent! D'oh! That earthquake was only supposed to demolish homosexual's homes! I'm must be getting sloppy in my eternal age...."
Yes, Yahweh proves over and over in his own autobiography that he is a complete failure at everything. Yahweh Magoo completely destroys areas of the bible belt and San Francisco is as good as it has ever been  :police:

That's the one thing that is consistent about the lil fella, he consistently loses. Its time his sheep take a peek behind the curtain, don't you think?

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 01:23:15 AM »
Yahweh Magoo completely destroys areas of the bible belt and San Francisco is as good as it has ever been  :police:

Great... now everytime I picture god, he's going to be sporting coke bottle glasses. ;D