Author Topic: Will the devil get you if you stop having sex for anything other than prayer?  (Read 800 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
1 Corinthians 7:5

New Living Translation (NLT)

5 Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+7:5&version=NLT
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
naa brakeman, he's just there 'to tempt you', he's not going to get ya, and you don't have to fall to the temptations if you make another choice just because there may be some, doesn't mean you have to act on it.
though if you don't believe in the devil, you have nothing to worry about. go do what feels good. your welcome.
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
We maybe you can explain the prohibition of sex while praying? I do some of my best praying while having sex.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
We maybe you can explain the prohibition of sex while praying? I do some of my best praying while having sex.
You mean when you are yelling, "Oh, God, oh, God"?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
This could be a justification for priests to be allowed to marry.  Sure seems like they are being tempted right now.

I would think the poor devil would be worked to death trying to tempt this many people each day and night.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
Does praying for sex count ?

Doesn't work mind...it's as if prayer is a false hope created by desire.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
since when is 'oh god, don't come, don't come, don't come..' a prayer?? or are you praying about feeding starving children while mid oral??
my best guess, because that's all i have, i didn't write the bible, i don't know their true intent when written, so i can only guess, but i would think that they don't want you to be tempted with other pleasures when you're supposed to be concentrating on praying for what ever god wants you to pray for. it would take your focus away from having pure thoughts for god. just a guess...i'm sure someone will shoot holes in it. though if that were really the case, why would god make our parts fit together so well, if he really just wanted us to pray, and not have sex? he's god right? could make us anyway he wanted...and he chose to make us some with innies and some with outties. god wants us to have sex, the men who wrote the bible don't, cause then nothing else gets done.
and maybe if priests were allowed to marry, and have sex, they'd stop messing with little boys and girls that they can manipulate with ease. just a thought.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
since when is 'oh god, don't come, don't come, don't come..' a prayer?? or are you praying about feeding starving children while mid oral?? ..

Well, why is there no prohibition of praying while chewing your food, taking a bath, running from a bear, and etc.? No, the bible authors select sex to refrain from while praying. I'm sure the intent is that prayer must encompass many long hours of wailing to jeebus, and they claim that they don't want it interrupted by a few minutes of carnal pleasure, although I think there is yet more hidden meaning in that. Praying for christians today is simply a few sec's to name off their wish list, and I can't really imagine it to have really, truly been more then either. I think it was just an excuse to avoid work in reality and to avoid being pestered by a wife that claims you never do anything around the house, including her.
What do you think?

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
since when is 'oh god, don't come, don't come, don't come..' a prayer?? or are you praying about feeding starving children while mid oral?? ..

Well, why is there no prohibition of praying while chewing your food, taking a bath, running from a bear, and etc.? No, the bible authors select sex to refrain from while praying. I'm sure the intent is that prayer must encompass many long hours of wailing to jeebus, and they claim that they don't want it interrupted by a few minutes of carnal pleasure, although I think there is yet more hidden meaning in that. Praying for christians today is simply a few sec's to name off their wish list, and I can't really imagine it to have really, truly been more then either. I think it was just an excuse to avoid work in reality and to avoid being pestered by a wife that claims you never do anything around the house, including her.
What do you think?
maybe they just associate sex as being a dirty thing, and they don't want dirty thoughts muckin up their prayers. i really don't know why anyone should refrain from sex unless for a medical reason or you cleaned the house that day. maybe you should just surprise your wife and nail her as soon as she comes in the door...that'd end the 'you never do me' arguement...at least for one night ;)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +560/-22
  • Karma mooch
Less graphic please.  This is not that kind of site. Thanks.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-1
Frankly, the NT has a bit of thing about sex but i think it can be explained by the fact of Paul's expectation of a second coming of Jesus in his own lifetime. He advises people not to marry, for instance, and wants them to concentrate of prayer etc so that they will be ready when Jesus returns. I'm sure that's where the other writers get the idea from.

Now, of course, Jesus never did make it back but ever since the idea of being sex free has taken the church by storm whether priests (Charlemaine 9th century) or monks and nuns. I think that's why the Catholic Church today still has hangs ups about this delicate topic even though they want their congregations to be 'fruitful' in the hope of filling the churches and hence the coffers.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +57/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
Frankly, the NT has a bit of thing about sex but i think it can be explained by the fact of Paul's expectation of a second coming...

Hey guys, Screwtape said less graphic!
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.