Author Topic: the multiverse  (Read 242 times)

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
the multiverse
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:37:10 AM »
Quantam mechanics - pararellel universe - every possibility played out in an alternate universe at the same time simultaneously...

1) does this mess with god's plan?(whatever the hell that may be)
2) is it a PART of god's plan?[1]
3) is it a load of baloney?
4) is there more than one god for each universe, sort of competing?

Any other ideas?
 1. is it his/her way of seeing how things pan out/
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
Re: the multiverse
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:57:51 AM »
Quantam mechanics - pararellel universe - every possibility played out in an alternate universe at the same time simultaneously...

1) does this mess with god's plan?(whatever the hell that may be)
2) is it a PART of god's plan?[1]
3) is it a load of baloney?
4) is there more than one god for each universe, sort of competing?

Any other ideas?
 1. is it his/her way of seeing how things pan out/

You asked for ideas... here are some unsolicited responses (an idea or two, to follow)
1: Yes, I should think so.  His plan (which is for us) is pretty narrow and does not even hint at anything universal, much less multi-universal.  God doesn't even seem to understand anything about cosmology.
2: I think the problem with this is that it operates under the same assumption that god is needed for this universe and timeline.  We would argue that no god is needed for this or any other
3: Quantam mechanics and pararellel universe?  No, I don't think so, but I'm not in qualified to pass judgement on physicists who are working on these theories. 
4: So, which god is winning?  Not sure.  What would be the prize?  I'm pretty certain of one thing.  'the god' of this universe certainly isn't going to be claiming any reward for a job well done.

5-See #3.  There is one god and he is lord and creator of the only universe.  Theoretical science is merely over-educated pinheads wanking off
6-No god anywhere
7-No god here, but elsewhere?  Gee... if she/he does a competent job, it might be nice.
8-The jealous and small-minded god of our universe is actively working to conceal the truths, and he tips everyone off in Genesis, when he cursed us for having sought out knowledge.  (criminals often love to tell of their true intent and bank on people dismissing it, reasoning that no one could be as evil as the perpetrator himself has revealed)

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: the multiverse
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37:28 AM »
OK, I'll have a go too!

As far as god's plan is concerned I suppose we would have to deal with the Christian god though Allah might also be involved - I think they play golf together! Anyway, these are desert gods from a time when no one knew about cosmology. I have included a picture of the world created in the bible and it is so different from the universe we know that it can be straightforwardly discarded - effectively the god that supposedly created this mess didn't know about the universe or doesn't exist. I go for the latter. That said any other comments will relate to science and not religion.

The idea that there is a multi-verse comes out of mathematics really but it seems that it might even be possible to demonstrate. One idea I read about a while ago was to consider if this present universe came into being after two other universes collided producing the energy to get us started. It seems the microwave background might hold clues....

As far as there being gods for each multi-verse, well one version of the idea involves a universe for each possibility so that I might be the president of the USA in one. Extrapolation would suggest that there are gods for each population in each universe but there is not reason to expect them to be more than something dreamt up to control a population.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)