Author Topic: Middle School in Jackson, OH Refuses to Take Down Portrait of Jesus  (Read 1164 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
FFRF filed a formal complaint with the school about the painting, with the usual results.  After all the fighting and everything, the school board voted to keep it in place.  FFRF is considering whether to sue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/10/jesus-portrait-in-ohios-j_n_2450100.html
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Middle School in Jackson, OH Refuses to Take Down Portrait of Jesus
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:29:16 PM »
Sue their a$$.  And put up a portrait of Mo Man (this should be interesting), the FSM, Thor, and MIghty Mouse...that should cover it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Seems a bad point to complain about tbh.  Would a portrait of Buddha net such attention?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »
Seems a bad point to complain about tbh.

The extremely visceral reaction from the people objecting to having the portrait removed proves that this is an issue of religion.  This is no different from the prayer banner that Ahlquist fought to have removed.  Actually, this is worse... the prayer banner was somewhat nondenominational, but this is a portrait of Jesus.

Would a portrait of Buddha net such attention?

Probably not, but that's simply because most middle schoolers don't know who he is, and if they did, they wouldn't care.  :-)  It would still be unconstitutional, though... and if it were a portrait of Buddha, and the FFRF sent its complaint letter, I'd bet a year's pay the school would simply say, "Oh, yeah, I understand, we'll take it down."  Christian privilege is rampant in this nation.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »
Maybe they see the pic as their security guard? ;)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:26:56 PM »
I think they should demand an actual photograph instead of a painting. I mean if jesus can burn his image in some old linens, and mother mary can burn her image in toast, then why can't we compromise and say that if jesus can burn his image on a blank canvas that replaces the painting, it can stay.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
This seems never to get old. But as we all know: it's not Jesus, it's most likely the representation of the artist. When an artist doesn't know what someone looks like, they use themselves as a starting point.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:59 PM »
And I am sure he is white.
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Now that I think about it...all of the biblical characters were white.  HOw did that happen?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »
Those damn white people and their white paint.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
Joseph Smith confirmed that all the good people in the bible were white. An angel told him that and even wrote it down on copper plates that anyone can plainly read with two stones poked in their eyes. He couldn't lie about that.

So check mate, you hammites!

Offline Anfauglir

• Professor
  • Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:14:44 AM »
I'd tell them they can keep the painting up......IF they are prepared to put a painting of Mohammed up next to it.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 01:16:30 AM »
I'd tell them they can keep the painting up......IF they are prepared to put a painting of Mohammed up next to it.

but it has to be more than just mohammed, it has to represent ALL religions, if it's going to post one, it has to post them all or decide to be a catholic or christian school and start charging money to pay for your godly ways.
better yet, next to the jebus pic, how about pics of santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny,and the flying spaghetti monster next to it...all hold equal reality.
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
So, they want to keep the picture up because it's been there for a while and because it isn't hurting anything.  The thing is, both of these are rationalizations to justify keeping the status quo intact, without addressing the actual issues of having this picture hanging in a public school.

First off, it simply doesn't matter how long the picture has been up there.  Whether the picture was put up yesterday, last year, or a century ago is immaterial.  What matters is whether it's appropriate for the picture to be up on the wall in the first place, not how long it took before someone complained about it.

Second, you can't judge how harmful something like this is by asking people who aren't affected it.  Imagine if we decided whether a law was discriminatory based on how it affected people not targeted by that law?  Like, say, deciding on a law about poll taxes or literacy tests based not on how it affected black people (who were the targets of such laws), but how it affected white people (who were usually exempt from these kinds of laws).  It would probably be considered a travesty of justice by most people, and rightfully so.

Yet this is exactly the principle that the superintendent is proposing we use - that we judge how harmful it is based on the reactions of Christians, rather than non-Christians.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:13:51 AM »
You see...sense it has been there a while it is now part of their tradition.  (I hear that excuse a lot for these kinds of things...they said the same about the confederate flag in the South.)

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
First off, it simply doesn't matter how long the picture has been up there.  Whether the picture was put up yesterday, last year, or a century ago is immaterial.  What matters is whether it's appropriate for the picture to be up on the wall in the first place, not how long it took before someone complained about it.

When it comes to things like this portrait or the prayer in Jessica Ahlquist's high school, you will find that those attempting to defend the infringement almost invariably use either the Argument from popularityWiki or the Appeal to traditionWiki.  (Or both.)  That's what you're seeing here.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
It must be the devil who is trying to have the picture of jesus removed.

So if the picture of jesus is removed, will it make the xian stance stronger or more difiant?

Wonder how many of the childern, teachers/staff and parents/guardians are without sin?

Bet that picture of jesus doesn't help any of em.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »
If the pic is removed it will just be a matter of time before kids are chewing gum in class, not doing their homework, and not raising their hand in class to ask a question.  Hell, some might even consider cheating on a test.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:27 AM »
It must be the devil who is trying to have the picture of jesus removed.

So if the picture of jesus is removed, will it make the xian stance stronger or more difiant?

Wonder how many of the childern, teachers/staff and parents/guardians are without sin?

Bet that picture of jesus doesn't help any of em.
i wonder how many of them would actually notice it was missing, or how long it would take them to realize it wasn't there anymore if it just vanished one day without the big hubabaloo about it all..prolly not as many as the school hopes for.
if it isn't a catholic or christian school, it has zero business being up. that should be the end of it right there. done. public school? get it outta there pronto. it's been up a long time is no defense, sorry. so it's an old picture, put it in a church, don't have to slash it with a knife, just get it outta the school, that's all :D parent's really don't have the right to petition it being up if it's a public school. if they want that influence, they can pay to put their kid thru the brain washing like the rest of them, but my kids don't need to see the dirty hippy every day while trying to get an education.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 05:53:12 AM »
It would be interesting to see how they'd react if somebody attacked it from the Right, i.e., "Who's that thar effeminate blond hippie, anyway?!  Thor?  We demahnd y'all put up a picture o JEEE-SUS in that thar school, an' it better look like he'd a looked!  An' be a picture of a Real Mantm!  'Cause JEEE-SUS was a carpenter back when they didn't have no power tools!"
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »
For those who may not have heard, by the way, the school, predictably, refused to take the portrait down.  The superintendent declared that it would "take a court order" for them to remove it.  The FFRF, joined by the ACLU, has filed suit.

http://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/item/16596-ffrf-aclu-sue-over-ohio-jesus-portrait

I dearly hope that, just for once, the school will realize that it is a fight that they cannot possibly win, that they will only expend tremendous time, effort, and (most importantly) money that will no longer be available for things like textbooks.  The case law on this is extensive and clear.  I don't expect that to be the case, though... in all likelihood, the school is going to fight.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »
In my school with the pic along the stair case like that it would of had spit wades on it from years of abuse.  Would not have mattered whos pic it was.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
"Who's that thar effeminate blond hippie, anyway?!  Thor?

i thought he looked like a girl cause he's supposed to have made us in his image...so he should look slightly girly, long hair, flip flops...errr sandals,  wears a dress a lot, something about nails...i dunno..the beard throws me every time though, almost had me jebus...almost had me!

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 05:30:20 AM »
^Actually, I think it would have been cool if Jesus was depicted as an androgyne for precisely those reasons.  But then, pictures of Jesus would be an affront to all these patriarchal, Dominionist, woman-hating, gay-hating[1] theocrats.  They would probably suddenly re-discover iconoclasm, and the 2nd Commandment.   &)
 1. I think the second is a sub-category of the first: they hate (male) gays, because, they can't stand the thought of a male being anything like one of those icky gurls, so natch, gays aren't allowed in the treehouse either.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »
They should replace it with a picture of "Piss Jesus."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »
How about a sasonal Jesus.  Santa hat on in winter, speedo in summer, etc.  or different haircuts...Jesus with a mullet...party in the back...all hell fire in the front.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
^Actually, I think it would have been cool if Jesus was depicted as an androgyne for precisely those reasons. 

Michael Valentine Smith?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.