Author Topic: Shabby, cheap religious idea  (Read 475 times)

Offline desmodia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
Shabby, cheap religious idea
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
Dave Ramsay is a radio talk-show host who dispenses financial advice. He's a pretty fundamentalist Christian and mixes Bible verses with his advice. I listen occasionally when I'm driving during his time slot, for entertainment value mainly. Recently I heard him tell someone that if you do the right thing financially, then God is watching and he will signal his approval by giving you financial rewards.

Some notions within religions are quite beautiful, even though I think the basis they rest on is fairy dust: love thy neighbor, forgive if possible, care for the poor and weak. But this idea of a deity as a pinata who coughs up rewards when given money, prayers, or "right behavior" is  low-level and disgusting. Far too common on TV and radio these days, though.
"Ak..Ak..AK AK!" from the Martian emperor's speech to Congress, Mars Attacks

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Shabby, cheap religious idea
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
Wow, then big banks and Wall Street are f*cked.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +768/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »
Which means it isn't a free enterprise system. Not if the hand of god is in the cogs.

But wait a minute. The richest guy in the country is an atheist.

I'm getting mixed messages. I hate it when that happens...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:31:09 AM »
But wait a minute. The richest guy in the country is an atheist.

The second richest describes himself as agnostic.

Third is Jewish.

Fourth and fifth are Charles and David Koch. Possibly some variety of Christian, but not sure. A Forbes article said they were Catholic, but they have flatly denied this, and don't offer any alternative answer, saying only that they are "private about their religious beliefs". They have been friendly with right-wing religious groups and causes, but that could as easily be strategic as philosophical.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »
if we are talking about Christians, didn't Jesus have this notion of giving one's money away to the poor? In which case the radio person is talking the usual gibberish one might expect from not-very-educated Christian fundamentalists.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:20 AM »
if we are talking about Christians, didn't Jesus have this notion of giving one's money away to the poor? In which case the radio person is talking the usual gibberish one might expect from not-very-educated Christian fundamentalists.
Now that is funny...giving your money to the poor.  Left wing conspiracy.  Jesus never said anything like that.  Jesus was a free enterprise man.  Profit at all costs.  If you were/are poor it is your fault for being lazy.  It is easier for a corporate raider to get into heaven than for a poor person to get thru an eye of a camel.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:06:22 AM »