Author Topic: Love Thy Neigbour... or not  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Love Thy Neigbour... or not
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »
It’s not anything that we don’t already know, but this research article states it outright http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9816803/Religion-does-not-make-you-love-your-neighbour-study.html

Being religious only appears to make people more co-operative or unselfish when they are dealing with other people of the same faith, it suggested. The findings, likely to prove controversial, emerge from a study carried out by Nottingham University Business School as part of government-funded research into the role of religion in public life.

A team of behaviour experts asked a group of Malaysian people with different religious backgrounds to take part in a series of tasks involving sharing money with other participants.  In                                                                                                                                                                                                                   one task people were given an imaginary sum of money and given the option of sending some to another participant. They were told that whatever they did not send they would be able to keep but also that the participant could chose to send some of it back – which would then be tripled.

They had to judge how “generous” to be.

Participants included Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist and non-religious volunteers

The team noticed that there was little difference between levels of co-operation and generosity when people knew nothing of the other person’s beliefs and when they knew that they were of different persuasions. But when told that the other person shared their religion they were markedly more trusting and generous with the money.

Dr Robert Hoffmann, an Associate Professor of Economics at Nottingham University Business School and co-author of the report, said: “One would imagine the charity inherent in many well-known articles of faith might have some impact on everyday behaviour. But we discovered no evidence of that when we examined what happens when people who are religious knowingly interact with those of a different or no faith.

“When we looked at how religious people knowingly interact with those of the same faith, on the other hand, suddenly their religion started to explain their actions. This leads us to the sobering conclusion that religion doesn’t affect people’s behaviour in general terms. Rather, it affects how they relate to different individuals.

Obviously, “love thy neighbour” only works if you are the same brand of Christian, and favouring your own is not an unnatural thing to do. We know from Leviticus that those of The Faith should not charge interest to their fellows, should treat slaves “of The Faith” better than foreign slaves, and expect outsiders to comply with their wishes and we know from the NT that you really shouldn’t associate with non-believers.

Like many social societies, it seems that having a ritual binds people together and trust grows amongst them. If the ritual involves accepting something stupid, so be it – at least the person you’re dealing with won’t think you an idiot. The stranger the belief is, the more closely are the adherents bound to each other but the smaller the group (see Jim Jones et al).

So, if you are wanting a favour from a Christian, intersperse your conversation with “Praise God/Jesus/etc.”

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:07:33 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Love Thy Neigbour... or not
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
That is probably the prime reason that religion evolved. To create a structured theme that all in a group adhere to.

Of course, the job of money itself is to help define and separate. The rich, the poor, the entrepreneurs, the working class, etc. It creates a conflict of interest in the same social groups that are held together by the common bond of religion. Everything is perfect in the world right now, financially, but I can see where this could eventually cause problems. (Note to any religious person reading this: that was a joke.)

And too, some want the common bond of religion to expand out and become the common bond of law, so that those not in the religious group are still forced to pretend they are.

This is all too complex. Being prejudiced and selfish should be much easier.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:08:47 AM »
Another example is when there is a plane crash or a terror situation like the gas plant in Africa.  The main focus (at least over here in the states) is how many Americans were affected.  If none, we go on and don't pay much attention.  We don't seem to put as much value on our neighbor if they are not American...and then later we get into if you are the right kind of American or not.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
Can't say that the results surprise me.

When Islam - the religion of Peace - and Christianity - "turn the other cheek" - meet up, we should by rights expect the greatest possible harmony and love to flow between them.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:54:36 PM »
Wow that's so surprising... said no one ever.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »
I wonder how the results would go for coperating with apostates of your own faith  :o  And with atheists.
Git mit uns

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:31:30 AM »
I wonder if this might just start to chop away at the idea that religion should get benefits from the state in the for of tax exemptions etc. If they can be seen not to benefit society maybe we don't need to give them any special treatment.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline void of gods crutch

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • if u don't like gay marriage,don't get gay married
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
love is a strong word. for instance, i love ice cream. true story.

another true story, i happen to hate my neighbors, and i don't discriminate, i have no clue
what their religion is. it doesn't matter what their religion is if they just suck as humans.
5/4 ths of all people have a problem with fractions

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
I am sure atheists feel the same way about their neighbors the godthumpers.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:17:07 AM »
here's another true story, i am centrally located within 5 different churches...
here's another true story, answer the door in lingerie when the moromons come knocking, and they don't usually get any words out before they turn and leave satan"s doorstep ;) your welcome for the tip..

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »
....answer the door in lingerie when the moromons come knocking, and they don't usually get any words out before they turn and leave satan"s doorstep.....

As we commonly say on here......pictures or it didn't happen!   ;)
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »
....answer the door in lingerie when the moromons come knocking, and they don't usually get any words out before they turn and leave satan"s doorstep.....

that would be weird to involve a photographer...but maybe next time lol it's an old trick a girlfriend showed me one time ;) and it does actually work...don't believe me..try it for yourself and see what happens lol and i want pics!!

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »

You are all a bunch of male sexist pigs who obviously only use the "brains" located above your ball sacks! >:(

Could you... ahhhhh... meybe e-mail me a couple of those pics....? Purely for research purposes, of course, and not because I happen to be a lesbian.... :angel:
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »

You are all a bunch of male sexist pigs who obviously only use the "brains" located above your ball sacks! >:(

Could you... ahhhhh... meybe e-mail me a couple of those pics....? Purely for research purposes, of course, and not because I happen to be a lesbian.... :angel:
seriously laughing my arse off...you guys & gals...ha ha ha i'm mearly offering a suggestion of what i know to work as an easy, argument free, way of ridding yourself of good mormons...now the bad ones...heh heh, they're not so quick to run the other way lol so you've been warned... & i will not be held accountable for anyones virginity being taken against their mormon wills... ;)
if nothing else, it will give them a more fun answer at the dinner table when mom asks how the walk went...that is if they can muster up the truth about what they saw lol i've never run across old mormons, it's always the young ones around here, i just assumed they stick the old ones outta the way somewhere.

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
and disciple, i'm not a lesbian, though my husband wishes i were sometimes ;)

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:32 AM »
and disciple, i'm not a lesbian, though my husband wishes i were sometimes ;)

Neither am I, although my girlfriend is.  ;D
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 02:11:55 AM »
here's another true story, i am centrally located within 5 different churches...
here's another true story, answer the door in lingerie when the moromons come knocking, and they don't usually get any words out before they turn and leave satan"s doorstep ;) your welcome for the tip..

I once opened it up to godthumpers naked.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 05:11:45 AM »
..try it for yourself and see what happens lol and i want pics!!

Trust me - you really, REALLY don't.....

But I agree it IS a good idea.  If I opened the door in my underpants, it would certainly shake their faith in a benevolent deity who created man in his image.....   :o

<<edit: fixed quotes>>
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:45:50 AM by Anfauglir »

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
ha ha anfauglir, hey man, what ever it takes to get them to steppin, i'm all for..feelin brave, go in the buff like nam...me, i like to leave a little something to the imagination lol but you do you the way you do! ;D
I have awesome ideas lol

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 04:09:55 AM »
When I was at uni I used to have a sign on the front door of my flat that said "Please leave your motivation at the door and don the cap of apathy". When some Mormons turned up they asked me in confused voices, "Does that mean you don't want to talk to us?" and I laughed like a crazy person as I explained it had nothing to do with them at all. They never came back.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 09:56:57 AM »
..try it for yourself and see what happens lol and i want pics!!

knock at door.

Anfauglir takes off his robe, sets his legs a shoulder width apart, heaves the door open, magestically throws both arms wide and shouts, "Behold, ye faithful!  The Image of God!!"

The UPS guy drops the package he was holding and runs back to his truck
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 03:52:29 AM »
That even made me feel queasy - and its my own body I was picturing! 

The old "body of a god - shame its Buddha" slogan springs to mind......or, better yet, "treat your body like a temple.....care about it for an hour on Sundays, and ignore it the rest of the week".