Author Topic: Prayer in school  (Read 898 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Prayer in school
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
Nam...you should like this being from Florida and all.

A Satanic Temple is planning a major rally in the next month in support of Florida Gov Rick Scott for signing a bill (Senate Bill 98) that allows for the possibility of prayer in public schools.  Man, I'd like to see the politicians scrammble on this one.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Re: Prayer in school
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
I think teachers should be allowed to share all the scientifically verified evidence of God and all of the scientifically verified evidence of modern science. They can call the science evidence "classroom instruction" and the presentation of the god evidence as "a moment of silence."   ;)
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »
I hope the Tea Party people welcome the Satinists! It should be a great day for the area!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
I hope the Tea Party people welcome the Satinists! It should be a great day for the area!

Question in the interest of public awareness: How are we supposed to tell them apart?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
With all this praying going on soon in schools and teachers taking time to practice with their guns...I hope there is a little time in the week for some math and science.

keeta

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
i don't know why people complain about no prayer in school...every time there's a test, there's prayer in school.
it just doesn't need to be out loud. or every type of religion would need to also have their type of prayer in school, not just chiristians or catholics, but ALL of them...then there really would be no time for math, science, reading, and the basics that will actually do you some good in life..

prayer has no place in schools, not when my kids are trying to learn something useful.

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
With all this praying going on soon in schools and teachers taking time to practice with their guns...I hope there is a little time in the week for some math and science.

Oh, of course!

Math:

1.  Your penance requires you to say three times as many Hail Marys as Our Fathers.  You have to say fifteen Our Fathers.  How many Hail Marys does your penance require?

Science:

1. We know that the Bible teaches us about dinosaurs.  It calls them by names like 'Leviathan' and 'Behemoth' and 'dragons.'  Can you think of a reason that we cannot identify the creature known as 'Bigfoot' with the Biblical Nephilim?

Teacher: *cocks shotgun*  "Say your prayers, kids!"
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:48:26 AM »
Are we sure Rick Scott doesn't head the group? Hell, as I posted over at Atheist Think Tank, Orange County (where I live) permitted a church group to hand out Bibles to students in 11 public high schools . I am sure Scott was proud of the school board for allowing that, huh? You know: being uncostitutional, and all.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:08:27 AM »
Bibles in public school classrooms. Lovely. And the dumbing down of our children continues....

Reminds me of an episode of Moral Orel:

Doughy: Hey Orel, what did you put for number 3 on the science test?
Orel: Jesus.
Doughty: Oh, of course!
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 01:58:12 AM »
I still have a little red New Testament that I got at school in 5th. grade. The Gideons were there handing them out.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:30 AM »
RED IS THE SIGN OF SATAN! THOSE ARE EVIL BIBLES!

Though my family church said "black" is the color of Satan. I didn't have the heart to tell them that black isn't a color. ;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:06:28 AM »
RED IS THE SIGN OF SATAN! THOSE ARE EVIL BIBLES!

Though my family church said "black" is the color of Satan. I didn't have the heart to tell them that black isn't a color. ;)

-Nam
And Satan isn't real.

Offline Grogs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
i don't know why people complain about no prayer in school...every time there's a test, there's prayer in school.
it just doesn't need to be out loud. or every type of religion would need to also have their type of prayer in school, not just chiristians or catholics, but ALL of them...

That's the point though. The people saying that know full well that students are allowed to pray privately or even in student-run groups as long as it doesn't interfere with regular school work. But being honest and saying "They won't let us use the school administrators and taxpayer dollars to force students to participate in our particular brand of religion!" just doesn't have the same effect.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
I can't see that Christians would have any objection to Satanists supporting the same thing that they want - I'm surprised that Hindus and Muslims are clamouring to get in on the act too.

As far as Christians are concerned, God and Satan have cooperated before when Job was used as an example. Added to that, God and Satan must have made up their differences by now - Satan has his job in Hell and wandering the earth, tempting people, etc. So the set-up is pretty much perfect.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
And Satan isn't real.

Well yeah, that too.

-Nam