Author Topic: Christian, Kyle Butt, answers WWGHA in debate against Dan Barker  (Read 1793 times)

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Christians aint gonna like this.... skip ahead to 2:00

He basically uses the argument that the time for miracles is over since Jesus H. came, and that his pappy still does intervene in the world but its indistinguishable from natural occuring events.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: Christian, Kyle Butt, answers WWGHA in debate against Dan Barker
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
   I like Dan Barker but his style is too laid back for me.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
Barker's response is exactly on point, and it's exactly what was going through my head when this clown was making the all too common SPIN DOCTOR attempt. The bible itself CLEARLY contradicts his assertion that "the age of miracles has ceased". NOT ACCORDING TO JESUS' WORDS IT HASN'T!

This is just one more weak tactic they try to twist the bible to make it fit their preconceived gullible beliefs.

EPIC FAIL
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:07:53 PM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
   I like Dan Barker but his style is too laid back for me.
He leaves a lot of points on the table. And doesnt clarify where he needs to. I watched the whole debate and he let this dude use some ridiculous hypothetical situations that would never happen to try and frame his notion of morality that really painted a bad picture.

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »

He basically uses the argument that the time for miracles is over since Jesus H. came, and that his pappy still does intervene in the world but its indistinguishable from natural occuring events.

I listened to this debate on "GodDebate" which is an excellent podcast.  I was blown away that Kyle Butt says that "gifts" are done away with.  I researched this and sure enough, many Christian apologists believe this.  Many apologists use 1 Corinthians 13:9 as proof and they interpret the "perfect" as the completion of their Bible.

I'm sure Kyle Butt would agree with this interpretation of 1 Corinthians 13:9.  However, many Christian apologists interpret the "perfect" to mean the second coming of Jesus Christ.  So Kyle Butt must ask himself if the Bible is "PERFECT" (the device that was used to do away with "gifts") then why are there different interpretations of "the perfect" in 1 Corinthians 13:9 from different Bible believing Christians.

This was my first attempt to partially quote a post so I'll see what happens.

<<edit: fixed quotes>>
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:56:30 AM by Anfauglir »
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »

Sorry, I'm just playing around but I think I have it right this time.  I'm trying to only paste part of someone's post.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:56:56 AM by Anfauglir »
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:00:39 AM »

Sorry, I'm just playing around but I think I have it right this time.  I'm trying to only paste part of someone's post.

No worries - you're nearly there.  Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Easiest way to quote "just a bit" is to use the quote button to take the whole thing, then just delete the text that you don't want - remember to insert "....." if you chop text from the middle of a paragraph.

And remember that anything YOU write has to go AFTER the [ /quote] at the bottom of the reply window!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »

No worries - you're nearly there.  Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Easiest way to quote "just a bit" is to use the quote button to take the whole thing, then just delete the text that you don't want - remember to insert "....." if you chop text from the middle of a paragraph.

And remember that anything YOU write has to go AFTER the [ /quote] at the bottom of the reply window!

Thanks for the tip, I finally got the hang of it.  Your personal "quote" could be used to describe Kyle Butt's interpretation to 1 Cor. 13.  Just because he grew up believing that the "gifts" were once given to the church but are now done away with (because of the completion of scripture) doesn't mean he's not incredibly stupid.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »

I listened to this debate on "GodDebate" which is an excellent podcast.  I was blown away that Kyle Butt says that "gifts" are done away with.  I researched this and sure enough, many Christian apologists believe this.  Many apologists use 1 Corinthians 13:9 as proof and they interpret the "perfect" as the completion of their Bible.

I'm sure Kyle Butt would agree with this interpretation of 1 Corinthians 13:9.  However, many Christian apologists interpret the "perfect" to mean the second coming of Jesus Christ.  So Kyle Butt must ask himself if the Bible is "PERFECT" (the device that was used to do away with "gifts") then why are there different interpretations of "the perfect" in 1 Corinthians 13:9 from different Bible believing Christians.

This was my first attempt to partially quote a post so I'll see what happens.

<<edit: fixed quotes>>

Yeah, they just never come to a consensus about what these poorly written scriptures mean. However I think that is in the design to trap more and more people since they get to make up their own religions and still be part of the group. Seems intentional to me.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
Butt 2:21-2:28
The point of a miracle has always been to confirm that the speaker was speaking for god.

So, since miracles don't happen anymore, no one has been speaking (accurately) for god - they falsely claim to speak for god.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Online median

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:05 AM »
Kyle Butt is a credulous red neck dumb dumb wannabe pseudo-intellectual.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »
Kyle Butt is a credulous red neck dumb dumb wannabe pseudo-intellectual.

You should stop holding back and tell us what you REALLY feel
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
Isn't it amazing that every mystical tradition on the planet always has a past tense time for the big miracles? Back in time of yore the Gods showed up all the time, but not now...that time has past, but it will come back!

Aztecs, Greeks, Native American Shamans, Islam, and Christianity...all with the exact same "but not now" escape clause.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.