Author Topic: Why were there so many different religions in the world?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: Why were there so many different religions in the world?
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »
Wayne, can you please explain to me, and the rest of the members here, why you think THIS site is the place you should be spreading the word about the "One True Religion"?

Given that we're not hiding our atheism, I can't figure out why you would be wasting your time here, rather than on a christian forum where you can try to convince other believers that YOUR version is the right one.

Or Mormons? Why not go talk to Mormon? Or Jews? Or Muslims? You might actually make some headway if you start out with people who share their OWN version of your delusion, not people who freely admit that we think you're ALL wrong.

Unless, of course, your intentions are NOT very christian, and you're really just here to try and stir people up, thereby reinforcing all your misguided ideas about who atheists are and what we believe - you certainly haven't listened to a single thing any of us have tried to tell you about ourselves.

Methinks you might be a troll, and a particularly obnoxious one at that. Your rude condescension does not reflect well on you, and by extension, to other christians. If you true intention is to "save us" as you seem to be implying, you should reflect on your behavior so far.

The evidence of your unchristian behavior is mounting Wayne - and according to you, God is watching you. Do you think he approves of your appalling rudeness? Your smug condescension? Your flat out lies and distortions of what we've said?

Do us all a favor - next time you pray, ask your god to plant some knowledge in your brain about the difference between correlation and causation. Once you've reflected on your new-found understanding, you can come back and apologize to everyone here for acting like such an ass.

(And Wayne? Be clear on this: I will not apologize for swearing, although I know it offends you - you're welcome to blame my atheism for my foul mouth, but I prefer to think of it as "calling it like I see it". You ARE acting like an ass.)
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
Re: Why were there so many different religions in the world?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
I have heard the number of gods bandied around to be 3,000 or 3,800. But where can I get a listing of all of these gods?
Wiki list.  I've only checked a few of the links.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gods

And on this link I've spot checked a few of the names I wasn't familiar with and came up with nothing on google.  Maybe I misspelled the name or didn't dig deep enough, but the names listed here might be a starting point.
http://twicsy.com/i/MYNZPb
There's also http://www.godchecker.com/
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12