Author Topic: Allow me to (re)introduce myself....  (Read 763 times)

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Allow me to (re)introduce myself....
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:13:50 PM »

Hey, gang.

It's been a while since I last frequented these hallowed halls dedicated to the muses of logic and reason, but due to recent events here in my home state, I have found myself longing to once again surround myself with my like-minded brethren. Seeing so many familiar faces still active here fills me with a feeling not unlike that of returning to the familiar comforts of home after a long and tiring journey.

I wish this motivation to dust-off my long-disused critical-thinking and argumentative skills in defense of my atheistic stance was of a more whimsical nature, but sadly it took the tragic and heart-breaking events in Newton, CT (12 miles from my home) to shake off my stupor after spending the past, two years spent in a perpetual apathetic state.

As you can imagine, all of the local radio programs in the days following the shootings were dedicated 24/7 discussing the event in an attempt to try and make sense of a senseless act. I was driving in my car listening to one particular host interviewing a local pastor when he asked a question that made my ears perk up: what do you say to the grieving families of the children (and adults) lost who might start to question their belief/faith in a loving and just god?

The pastor's pat reply filled me with such rage and disgust that I had to turn off the station. His answer? That "God has a divine plan for everyone, and it is not our place to question it.".

For not only the remainder of that day, but for days afterwards, all I could think about was what about all of the plans those innocent, little children and their teachers had or had yet to make? Did they not matter to this "loving and just" god, and why... in the execution of his "divine plan"... did it require they spend their last moments on earth in unfathomable pain and horror at the hands of a madman? All I knew was that if I were the parent/loved one of one of the victims, and had that pastor attempted to "comfort" me with those words, he would have soon found himself contemplating his god from a hospital bed.

Of course, I know the real answer is that there is no god to blame, but it is exactly this sort of warped, apologistic rational that has reawakened in me the urge to become more active and vocal in providing to those willing to listen an alternate answer to this and similar mindsets formed from adhering to outdated and outmoded, mythological belief systems.

Anyhow, thanks for putting up with this manifesto of mine. I'll be spending the bulk of my time watching from the side-lines and occasionally adding my two cents' worth should I feel I have something pertinent to add to the topic at hand.

Jen

The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Allow me to (re)introduce myself....
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »
Welcome back to the forum.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
Welcome back to the dark side forum.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +757/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
We welcome you with open arms. Which means you have to bring the main dish to the big potluck next week...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
May I suggest BBQ baby with baked beans.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:29:35 AM »
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

May I suggest BBQ baby with baked beans.

Might be tough to find... 1st born Egyptian babies aren't in season this time of year. A pity... cooked correctly and the meat practically melts off of their tiny ribs.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »
Welcome back.

I wound up back here too after the Sandy Hook shootings. I thought I would try to have a discussion about whether or not gun control is the answer, or no answer at all. Instead, I'm talking about that whole god thing again. :)

Offline Ravengod

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:19:05 AM »
I love the info on your website. Regards.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »
welcome ravengod.
hope you enjoy yourself here. I find I learn a lot here about a very wide range of topics
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan