Author Topic: Male abortion rights?  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +154/-5
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: Male abortion rights?
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »
That's a disturbing article, but the comments were even worse.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 03:56:53 PM »

It seems that based on what was proposed in the OP, for the purposes of this discussion the key IS parenthood responsibilities. If a man does not want the responsibility and conception has already occured, should he be able to decide for himself to NOT have any parental responsibility just as the woman who gets pregnant then decides to abort the pregnancy gets to make that very decision?

On the surface, I want to say "hell yeah, a man should be able to choose!" But as I consider the bigger picture that goes beyond the two people that spawn the child, I'm forced to pump the brakes a bit. The fact of the matter is that the child that comes into the world is very likely to have what I'd call a societal impact. It's generally been up to the parents/families of children to prep the children for society and to take on the responsibility of the child's well being so that the parties that have no affiliation with the "sexing duo" that make a baby won't have to shoulder a responsibility for childcare, etc.

Another consideration is what I'd refer to as the human factor. What if the man initially doesn't want the responsibility, but later has a change of heart and decides to enter the picture somehow? I don't see how this can be effectively legislated against and think of the issues it would present when it inevitably occurs. I doubt that forcing the father to pay back child support would be a suffient recource and in most situations I doubt that that would be any more feasible than expecting everyone and their children who is in this country illegally to go back home and then try to re-enter through the current citizenship process.

So although it's real messed up that the man gets less of a say so (really no say so), that's life. Ain't much equitable able the fetal incubation period where momma gets to experience the pain, discomfort, and hormonal reprocussions of being pregnant while men get to continue to go about our normal lives. So again, that's life and life was never promised to be fair and equitable.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
I did not read all the posts but I have a thought on the subject.

A man can not have the final word on what happens to the womans body.  But he should have the ability to waive parental responsibility and not pay child support.

Assuming that the couple has never wanted children and he had sex in good faith with her under this agreement.  He should be able to demand an abortion or no parental support.  If she wants to have the child she can make that decision knowing he is not planning on being in the childs life.

His right to waive his parental responsibility only lasts as long as it is legal and possible to have an abortion.   If he has not exercised that right by the end of the first trimester then he is now responsible for child support.  Unless the pregnancy was intentionally hidden from him.

Long and short I believe that if the man does not want children he should have more say in the matter of support.

my issue with it is that its hardly applicable. What do we do with the guy who wasnt told he may be or is the father until its too late?