Author Topic: Facebook Discussion Pages  (Read 590 times)

Offline Rustybeatz

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Facebook Discussion Pages
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
I wasn't really sure where to put this so I put it in General Religious :-/

I have been rather absent from the forum due to school kicking my ass.  Good thing I kick a little harder :)

I have been on some Facebook discussion pages recently though and am curious if anybody else might be on one or some of the following:

Debunking Atheists
Atheist, Fundamental Christians, and Theist Discussions
Following Jesus (ironic name because it's all or mostly atheists)
Creationism
Atheism vrs Fundamental Christianity

If you aren't, it might be interesting....at least for a short while lol

Rusty

Offline IAmFirst

Re: Facebook Discussion Pages
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:40:48 AM »
I'm afraid to look at them. Is it mostly rambling paragraphs with no punctuation that capitalize a lot and change the subject every other line? :D
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Rustybeatz

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
lol. Some members are like that, others are a little more refined in getting their thoughts across.  It's strange, some are so steeped in the creation science that they will continually argue with someone that has degree in evolutionary biology. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:05 AM »
Having a degree in something doesn't mean you're always right in that subject.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »
^

But it does increase the chances that you are. Thats generally how things are in the sciences. We are never sure whats what but we at the very least have some workable assumptions and slowly but surely get it a little more right with every year that passes by and than something revolutionizes something and than we go back to the slow crawl of ever increasing knowledge, rinse and repeat.
"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 04:28:45 PM »
Having a degree in something doesn't mean you're always right in that subject.

-Nam

True, but some learning in any subject does give one a higher chance of being right. A degree in Evolutionary Biology would equip someone to better understand current research for example.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
How about a degree in Theology?
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 07:43:28 PM »
How about a degree in Theology?

That's like being a professional air guitarist.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:10 AM »
if you say so, but I do have a degree in Divinity. most of my study, and what I continue to study, is more along the lines of history and literary interpretation. I studied the original biblical languages, Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, along with trying to understand the history and settings as well as the way the redactors worked to put the texts together. The Dead sea Scrolls helped with this.

I couldn't have much time for theology - i.e. speculation of what god might be like or stuff of that sort. That is certainly like air-guitar, though even that has benefits of exercise and acting.

However, studying the way that the theology developed from the time of the time Jesus was around onwards is not only important history of how the world developed but helps in understanding how religion affects people and, maybe, how to de convert them.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)