Author Topic: In response to Wayne Harropson's introductory material  (Read 563 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
In response to Wayne Harropson's introductory material
« on: January 10, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
I began posting at the "Please validate your belief in your God" discussion  with my accounts of the supernatural.  Meet me there to learn more.  I launched my part of the discussion with one my current accounts that Sandy Hook makes relevent.  I'll attach it here. called:
Why God Let Those Kids Die.     
http://tinyurl.com/darkknightpremonition
Take a look.

Uh, so a story about a gas leak (naturally occurring event that requires no supernatural explanation) is the same as a man using gas as a weapon to enable a massive shooting? You seriously need help my friend. This doesn't predict anything. Just because you may or may not have wrote a story that has one element in common with an actual even occurring two decades later does not mean that you predicted it, or suggested supernatural agency in any way. Note also that if you were able to predict this event, and yet did nothing to inform the public about the safety risk in the Aurora movie theater, you are an asshole. This is further supported by your story in which you and your daughter laugh about a gas leak in a theater that could have been deadly to many people, but hey, at least it didn't negatively affect YOUR life! How self centered can you be?

Note also that your story does not actually contain a prediction. If your story said "And because of this, the Lord has given me advance knowledge that in the year 2012, in Aurora Colorado, on the opening day of the new series of Batman movies, that a madman named James Holmes would use gas to cover his movements and disorient people while opening fire on them like white cowboys shooting Buffalo" THAT would have been a hell of a prediction. You did NO SUCH THING.

And you also claim that your story PROVES that removing God from our society is somehow the cause of violence, yet it does nothing like that at all. The only thing it proves is that you are credulous and think that God made the world to revolve around you.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
Re: In response to Wayne Harropson's introductory material
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »
Wow.

This has to be among the most offensive things I have ever read (and I've read much of the Old Testament so there's stiff competition).

the idea that a loving God would allow, or even cause, a massacre because the kids don't pray enough is so extraordinary I don't even know where to start.

Actually it makes me sad. There is a deep irony too, whatever one believes about the claim he is divine Jesus preached forgiveness, toleration and moral strength through passivism. How his teaching can be twisted into a crude gun-toting political conspiracy is really incomprehensible.

I pity Mr Harropson's daughter; here's hoping she grows up less f*cked up than her Dad.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »
Yes, taking random coincidences as somehow connected is really daft. I suppose the human mind likes to link events that are important to the individual but that doesn't mean any of it makes sense. I could tell the story of how I met my wife, which was clearly influenced by divine intervention (well is your name is Wayne anyway though mine is not!).

No, Wayne's story is just that - a story he has written based on some real events but a story nevertheless. If people want to attribute odd things in their life to some divine intervention then that is their choice but if they do, they ought not expect others to believe them.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »
the idea that a loving God would allow, or even cause, a massacre because the kids don't pray enough is so extraordinary I don't even know where to start.

Not extraordinary at all.  Yahweh talks a couple times about "visiting the sins of the fathers on the children", so this would in no way be out of character for him.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 03:32:08 AM »
It isn't even because the kids themselves don't pray enough.  It's because the rest of America doesn't enforce public prayer.  You should see the rest of his ideas.  For example, he said that religion in early America (just after the Constitution was ratified), actually meant the one true religion, Christianity (meaning all the various sects).  Nothing else was considered 'religion'.

In Christian America, religion believes in you.  Or at least so goes the attitude of Harropson and those like him.