Author Topic: Why abortion is Wrong...  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Re: Why abortion is Wrong...
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »
A single woman is born with cells to produce hundreds of thousands of eggs. A male can create billions of sperm. A single couple could populate a small city in one generation and the largest in the word in two, and the planet in three. That is all POTENTIAL human life.
A female is born with all the eggs she is ever going to have, not the cells to make these eggs.

Yes, I know what you mean, but the cells are not mature eggs at that point.
From: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Female-Reproductive-System.topicArticleId-8741,articleId-8729.html

In the human female, egg cell production begins before birth, when about 2 million primitive cells known as oogonia accumulate in the ovaries. These oogonia are formed in the early stages of meiosis. After the age of puberty, the oogonia develop into primary oocytes and then into egg cells at a rate of one per month. Egg cell production occurs by the process of meiosis.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
"Oogonia" -- who comes up with these words?

The stupider it sounds the more scientific it is, or something?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

keeta

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »
ok, so roughly, the average woman has aprox 600 periods in her child bearing years, give or take a handful for various reasons...that's not millions or billions of eggs. at some point, we do run out. it's not doritos in there, we can't just make more..if they're not already there. 
abortions,& miscarriages aren't always bad things. sometimes, of course they're very bad. but if a child, molested by her uncle ends up pregnant, and has a miscarriage because her body isn't yet able to sustain another life, though able to get pregnant, is that such a horrible thing? if she continues to be pregnant and regrets the child, and abused or neglects the child, who in turn becomes some little nightmare of a shit once grown and causes all sorts of chaos, and trouble, rapes in turn, does worse..it would seem to me it would be better to just nip it in the bud as soon as possible.fyi, not everyone SHOULD have children, and maybe they know that about themselves...and accidents happen. it should always be an option, not that one has to use it, but for crap sakes don't limit a woman and what she can do with her body. choose to not use it. awesome. don't tell someone else what they can or can't do to their own body.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
Good point keeta.  It's always fun listening to the BS from anti-choice people when the scenario is a very young and quite defenseless 13 year old girl, raped violently by her uncle.  These people believe she MUST go through with the pregnancy, regardless.  After all, she got pregnant, and the poor little baby is totally innocent.  Oh yeah, the uncle is a bad, bad, person, but the girl is made to suffer far more by their lunacy around abortion.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
In some Southern states they would have to marry.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
In some Southern states they would have to marry.

No, Nick, in those states they are already married.  ;D

Actually, I remember a preacher preaching that "gods" marriage is to the first person you sleep with and not any ceremony. So all of us that didn't marry and stay faithful to our first are adulterers who should be stoned. I don't know if there are enough rocks here in the U.S.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 11:21:11 AM »
Depends on what kind of "stoned" you are talking about. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
Please tell me I am wrong.

You're wrong. No one is going to force anyone to have an abortion. You don't want one? Fine - don't have one. Oh! What's that? You do want one? OK, have one.

Now, where's your argument?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »
I'm trying to imagine the priorities of people who think that a raped 11 or 12 or 13 year old girl should have the baby. Do previous conversations with the child go like this?

Girl: I'm hungry.
Christian adult: I know, but we're saving this food for your baby after you get raped because your child is more important that you.

Girl: I'm cold.
Christian adult: Well, of course you are. You don't have a jacket or blanket or anything. But we're saving that money so we can buy those things for your baby after you get raped. That's the way it has to be.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
wait, are we talking about legitimate rape, or illegitimate rape?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
No, we're talking about the babies who come from a rape. No one cares about the victim. Well, except all of us but the OP obviously doesn't care about the victim, and that's what's important.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
No, we're talking about the babies who come from a rape. No one cares about the victim. Well, except all of us but the OP obviously doesn't care about the victim, and that's what's important.

-Nam

Nam, The Gawd was making a joke about the fundies. They claim that rape is not an excuse for abortion because god designed women's uterus' to "shut down" in the event of a "real legitimate" rape. Thus, if a girl got pregnant, then she really wanted it and must have the baby.
See the video here:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:44:45 PM by Brakeman »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
And I was making a joke off his joke. I thought how I worded everything seemed to imply that.

-Nam

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »
Of course we dont care about the victim...
On a serious note; I couldnt imagine being raped, becoming pregnant from it, and being forced to continue with the pregnancy with the child being a reminder everyday for the rest of my life of how I was violated. I just cant see how anyone could suggest the idea. And what do you tell Jr? Does the rapist/father get visitation rights? Can you force custody upon him? See, fundies talk a good game (actually I'm being extremely generous), but they dont have any real world solutions to the issues raised earlier in this thread or the issues I just posed. I think they dont think things through...

But I have a contraversial topic that veers off of this one... making the thread

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »
In some backwater religions and places, the victim has to marry her rapist. Imagine that.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
I think it is often assumed that rape victims are single.  That is often not the case.  So the idea of a married woman having to carry to term her rapists baby may have a slightly different perception. 

Try to imagine that.  Someone rapes your wife.  That's bad enough.  But she turns out to be pregnant.  And then the state of Mississippi[1] tells you she has to carry it to term. 
 1. or whatever sufficiently backwater state you want
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Try to imagine that.  Someone rapes your wife.  That's bad enough.  But she turns out to be pregnant.  And then the state of Mississippi[1] tells you she has to carry it to term.
 1. or whatever sufficiently backwater state you want

Not only that, most state laws require the husband to support a wife's baby regardless of who the father is.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »
Not only that, most state laws require the husband to support a wife's baby regardless of who the father is.

And it can get stranger than that. I friends brother and his girlfriend had three kids. Then his girlfriend got murdered. So he started raising all three kids. Then he died. His brother (my friend) and his wife took all three in and raised them for three years. Then a man showed up claiming to be the actual father of the two youngest kids. He was able to prove genetically that he was in fact the father, and after 18 months of court battles, he indeed got custody. But here's the kicker. He was able to continue collecting social security death benefits from the non-dad, since as far as the Social Security people were concerned, the dead brother was indeed the father.

Nothing makes sense. Which makes these things hard to fix.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

keeta

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
i've never had an abortion, in fact i've got a 17 yr old and 15 yr old girls. but i have been raped. luckly it didn't end up in a pregnancy, for if it had..i would have just gotten it taken care of then and there, because i know i couldn't handle having a child with someone who could then go for custody of said child (i knew my rapist), after that, i'd never want to be tied to that person in any way shape or form for any reason. not all bad guys go to jail even if you know who they are. there's just no way. and when i got pregnant with the right person, abortion wasn't even a consideration. but again, no one is going to tell me that it's not my option when it's my body.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »
My 2 cents...

I'm sick of this attitude that having an abortion is 'no big deal'. Personally, I couldn't imagine a more traumatic ordeal (unless rape was involved also). There seems to be this misconception that a pregnant woman might callously consider her day like this:

Husband: "So darling, what are your plans for today?"

Wife: "Well, I was thinking of buying that cute little handbag I've had my eye on, then I'm meeting Susan for a coffee, then I'm getting an abortion, and then I think I might get my hair done."

>:(
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »
Which post(s) in this thread convey that attitude to you?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

keeta

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 12:59:20 AM »
nat, i don't think anyone was saying that having an abortion is no big deal. it would be one of the most difficult choices a woman has to make for herself. no one said it would be easy, i don't believe it would be, even if i had to do it one day. because under the certain circumstances, it could be a choice i may have to make one day, and if that be the case, then it's something that i would have to live with every day after that. and i would, if i had to. but that's just me. thankfully we live where we do, and are allowed to do what we feel is best for the situation we are in at the time. only the person making that choice is truely able to judge their situation accurately to know what they can or can not handle a child. rape happens. accidents happen. birth control fails. unwanted babies are born by the 1000's. neglected. under fed. under clothed. uneducated. abused. sold into prostitution. molested. abandoned. taken advantage of. that's not fair to do to a child. can't take care of yourself, don't have a kid. can't take care of a kid, don't have another. can't take care of the one you have, change that, or give the child a chance with someone who will do a better job than you. if you can't handle having a child for any reason, spare the child before it has feelings of resentment towards you for bringing it into this shit hole world. don't just have it and be a bad parent. either do a good job, or don't freakin do it. 

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
My 2 cents...

I'm sick of this attitude that having an abortion is 'no big deal'. Personally, I couldn't imagine a more traumatic ordeal (unless rape was involved also). There seems to be this misconception that a pregnant woman might callously consider her day like this:

Wife: "Well, I was thinking of buying that cute little handbag I've had my eye on, then I'm meeting Susan for a coffee, then I'm getting an abortion, and then I think I might get my hair done."

Go to the Planned Parenthood site and read up on abortion.  They talk about the process (taking a pill for most), as well as the emotional aspects for the women.  I'm not sure what you think is happening, but it's no longer anything like what the anti-choice people would like you to believe.

Even though the pill makes the process far less invasive according to the PP articles, women still experience emotional issues, and the process is generally not taken lightly by most women.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
My 2 cents...

I think the use of contraception to most men/women (boys/girls)[1] use it without a thought in their mind; and I am sure some of the younger guys probably always vote for the abortion ('cause they're idiots) but I don't think that most girls who think about having an abortion just come to it as no big deal. That's usually propaganda spewed by those against abortions.

-Nam
 1. for those with the intellect to use them

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »

Nat,
   If I understand your post correctly, it reminds me of the great journalist Molly Ivins, writing about the late term abortion debacle during the Dubya administration, when she said in her most sarcastic voice, of a 7 month's pregnant women waddling past an abortion clinic, "Oh yeah, now I remember what I wanted to do."

I believe you are commenting on the prolife vicious, condescending view that many women  don't give abortion a second thought.  The heartlessness of the prolife's understanding of prochoice makes my blood boil.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:49:35 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
They'll most likely never believe that pro-choice doesn't equate to anti-life.

-Nam

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
Personally, I think a lot of the psychological pain is due to the christian conditioning that a woman's purpose in life is to have men's babies without question and they are bad and selfish to want to control their reproductive lives and thus their own life. I want my daughters to understand that they could chose how many babies they are going to have and when. If a woman wants to have two kids, it doesn't mater to society which two she choses out of her own body.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
Like I said guys, it was simply my 2 cents. The closest I've come to having an 'abortion' myself was when I was 19 and at university - the condom my partner and I were using broke, and the next day I went to the chemist and prodcured a dose of the drug RU486 (much to the the disgust of the pharmacist, who looked at me like I was some sort of mass murderer and serial baby-killer). Needless to say, I felt terrible about the entire ordeal. I strongly believe that abortion should never be used as a form of contraception[1]

BUT. Back to the OP, there are so many differing situations when it comes to abortion that I believe it simply cannot be summed up in a single thread. Nevertheless, the mother should AWAYS come first.
 1. There are those of you who would say here that my use of the drug RU486 WAS in fact used as a contraception at the expense of a potential child, but in case you are ignorant of the use of this drug, it simply brings about an earlier menstruation and does NOT abort a fetus
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:46 AM »
Like I said guys, it was simply my 2 cents

I take this to mean that you refuse to respond to the comments of anyone who responded to yours, even the ones (like mine) that asked for further explanation of what you meant.

I strongly believe that abortion should never be used as a form of contraception
Nevertheless, the mother should AWAYS come first.

These statements contradict each other.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.