Author Topic: Right or Left Brain video  (Read 468 times)

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
Right or Left Brain video
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can only make her go clockwise, I don't see how the outline is subtle enough look at it turning either way. Is this just me? It's actually worrying me.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:57:09 PM by Sleeping Shadow »

Online Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
Re: Right or Left Brain video
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »
The video only gives you a couple turns so it's hard to focus. If you find the original gif and look at her feet, you should be able to switch the direction.

The thing is that it's a 2D illustration where 1 flat leg moves through the other flat leg. But your brain doesn't like that, so it reads the image as if it's 3D. So you see a directional spin.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 01:11:37 PM »
Yup, it doesn't give you time to focus on getting it to switch. I found that if I paused it just as the spinnig started and focused on the feet I could start it back and get my brain to perceive her spining the other way. I think I'm one of those mixed up types anyway, though. Neither description applies to me. I tend to be very random and intuitive in my thinking on the one hand, but I'm not a "big picture" person by any means, and get sidetracked by detail all the time. I'm not logical, yet I can be obsessively analytical. My talents lie mostly in the realms of art, music and writing, yet I'm not particularly creative.

Online Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
Here you go:

The easiest way to get it to switch is to look around the feet/shadow area.  There are three ways to view it:

- Spinning clockwise
- Spinning counter-clockwise (easiest for me)
- Hopping on one foot with the other sweeping side to side (hardest for me)

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »
The easiest way to get it to switch is to look around the feet/shadow area.  There are three ways to view it:

- Spinning clockwise
- Spinning counter-clockwise (easiest for me)
- Hopping on one foot with the other sweeping side to side (hardest for me)

That's really weird.

Initially, I saw only counter-clockwise, and I couldn't imagine seeing it any other way.  Then after watching for a few moments, I scrolled down the page to look at older posts, and when I scrolled back up, I saw it in my peripheral vision for a moment, and it looked clockwise, but then when I looked right at it again, it was counterclockwise again.  After a few more moments of concentration, I was able to change my perception easily back and forth between the two.  But foot sweeping side to side?  I can't see that one at all.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
I think the nipples were an interesting touch.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Online Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
But foot sweeping side to side?  I can't see that one at all.
Try looking at the back of the calf on the hopping foot, and see it twisting back and forth but never around (so you never see the front of the leg.)

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
In the OP video it says that if you see it going clockwise you are a right brain thinker.

I don't understand the connection between clockwise = right brain thinker :)

Intersting video but I'm calling the "diagnosis" bullshit till there's more evidence.

FWIW I can see it going both ways but my left brain is quite pathetic.
Git mit uns

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 06:11:59 AM »
I can't make it go counter-clockwise no matter how hard I try. The way it looks like her top torso leans over to the right as she's spinning clockwise and then leaning back a little just makes it too hard. I honestly feel like I'd starve to death trying to do it before actually doing it.

I don't think the stuff at the end is very reliable either.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:23:56 AM by Sleeping Shadow »

keeta

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:42:59 AM »
the motion of her makes me wanna barf...
having said that, it's easier for me to see her going clockwise, but also see the sweeping foot..again, barf..

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »

The colored lines showing the legs, arm, etc... clearly show switching which one is front/back create the illusion of which way she is spinning.  This helps quickly switch her back and forth for anyone who is having trouble.

Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Sleeping Shadow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:21 PM »
Oh my god, I wondered if there was some kind of image thing to help you out, it certainly helped, at first, I could only see it going counter-clockwise for half a turn and it starts going the other way again, even on the image with the lines. And also I trouble seeing it go clockwise again for a full turn a minute after seeing it go counter-clockwise. Strange.

I've done things like this before and never had trouble, I'm not quite sure why this one was so hard. But thanks, I'll come back in a week without looking at the handicap image and see if I can do it.

EDIT: I also just found out from this that a fourth way you can see it is it just moving the extended leg back and forth and not even doing a turn. Is there one that can help you see it hopping on one foot?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:12:01 PM by Sleeping Shadow »