Author Topic: Pat Robertson - wtf?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +707/-28
  • Karma mooch
Pat Robertson - wtf?
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »
Pat Robertson suggested creationism might be baloney.  What the heck?

http://wtvr.com/2012/11/30/pat-robertson-challenges-creationism-cites-dinosaurs/
“You go back in time, you’ve got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things, and you’ve got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas,” Robertson said. “They’re out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth, and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don’t try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That’s not the Bible.”

So now we can argue creationism is soooo ridiculous that even Pat Robertson thinks is stupid.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: Pat Robertson - wtf?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
Man, Pat must be getting old.  He is showing reason now and then.  I missed his yearly talk with God about what the new year will bring.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
But..but...I thought dinosaurs were nice creatures before the flood, and they were on the Ark. T-Rex was Noah's pet?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure Pat is wrong.  I've read the homeschooling Christian textbooks, and I think it is pretty clear that early humans rode dinosaurs. 

And carbon dating is a big secular conspiracy, (that spans continents and generations), designed specifically to discredit Jesus and his friends Moses and Abraham. 

Poor Pat is aging.  I'm pretty sure that prayer is called for. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
The way Pat is going he will be posting here before you know it. 
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
When I first saw it, and before reading the OP, I thought "Pat Robertson - wtf" was probably a pretty common thread title, used by us over and over and over. But this time it applies in a different way, and it is weird. I don't think I like him being closer to the truth, even if he's just a little bit closer. He'll fuck that up too.

It is a strange thing to hear him say. I'm guessing that he'll clarify and say that the earth is closer to 20,000 years old, which would account for everything that the 6,000-10,000 year span cannot.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
Maybe there is hope for him yet...nah, no way.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »
Pat Robertson suggested creationism might be baloney.  What the heck?

http://wtvr.com/2012/11/30/pat-robertson-challenges-creationism-cites-dinosaurs/
“You go back in time, you’ve got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things, and you’ve got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas,” Robertson said. “They’re out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth, and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don’t try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That’s not the Bible.”

So now we can argue creationism is soooo ridiculous that even Pat Robertson thinks is stupid.

There goes Christianity ... evolving yet again ...

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +596/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:41:27 PM »
The thing about religion is that it must adapt to the way things actually are, no matter how much individual theists might kick and scream in the process.  That, I think, is what's really behind Robertson's complaint here.  He's recognizing that if Christians continue to blindly deny the conclusions of science simply because they're uncomfortable, more and more people will turn away from Christianity.  Too much of that and it becomes irrelevant, and ultimately dies out.

So, you have this - a religious leader arguing for something which has long been known to be true, because he wants to reverse the trend against Christianity.  If Christians can have their belief without having to choose between it and science, they're more likely to get additional believers.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +197/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »
If ever there was a case of "Please, get off my side - I'm better off without your support", this is it.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure Pat is wrong.  I've read the homeschooling Christian textbooks, and I think it is pretty clear that early humans rode dinosaurs. 

And carbon dating is a big secular conspiracy, (that spans continents and generations), designed specifically to discredit Jesus and his friends Moses and Abraham. 

Poor Pat is aging.  I'm pretty sure that prayer is called for.
This conspiracy you speak of,,,,tell me more
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »
There goes Christianity ... evolving yet again ...

It'll evolve given time no doubt  :)  The question is ... do we have enough patience?
Git mit uns

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 07:10:35 AM »
If ever there was a case of "Please, get off my side - I'm better off without your support", this is it.

The last good case of this, was Alan Jones, a right wing radio shock jock in Australia, who got up against Coal Seam Gas (similar to shale fracking in USA). In his speech against it, he suddenly acknowledged global warming.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
I still half-expect him to turn to the camera and say "Bazinga".

Earth only being 6000 years old? Preposterous! God causing an earthquake to punish Hatians for a supposed sin over 200 years ago? Still perfectly rational in Pat's eyes....  &)
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Bagheera

• Graduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »
Things like this occasionally reinforce my belief (lazing like a crocodile deep in the back of my mind) that few people who have really studied the Bible and have any kind of education,  believe it is true.