Author Topic: An Economist's take on the Concept of Evolution  (Read 486 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +749/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
An Economist's take on the Concept of Evolution
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
Excellent TED Talk relevant to evolution. And a lot of other things...

Economist Tim Hartford talks about the importance of trial and error, and the shortcomings of thinking one has the answers. The story of the evolved spray nozzle, one I heard elsewhere five years ago and then lost track of, is a favorite of mine.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline shnozzola

Re: An Economist's take on the Concept of Evolution
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
"It is very difficult to make good mistakes."  ;)   Thank you for that video, PP.

I also loved the idea at 3:00 of the bearded Scottsman screaming at the German soldiers.

I was fortunate to work for a crazy farmer for many years who was obsessed with fruit and vegetable varieties. Quality of taste was everything - nothing else mattered.   In the 70s, he once had a university professor come to his farm to find out who it could possibly be that was trying to patent 17 new varieties of black raspberries at once.  In his later years, he was invited to the White House with many farmers being  recognized for their work.

Your video reminds me of his style - never listened to the universities - always trial and error on his farm, his soil, his weather.

Great video for every aspect of society.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +749/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »
I was hoping I wasn't the only one that could appreciate what this guy was telling me. I thought the whole video insightful, and the stories he told during the talk illustrated his points very well. Thanks for appreciating it, schnoz.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »
This reminds me a lot of "Citizen Scientists" - releasing problems that have baffled science or are far too time-consuming or prohibitively expensive or for which the IT is too slow - to thousands and letting them have a go solving them by using tools that reflect the real behaviour of molecules.

You can have a go here: http://fold.it/portal/ design a molecule by trial and error. The learning curve is not steep but you need a day to grasp how to use all the tools.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +850/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
Yes! I love TED talks! The ones on learning and the human brain are amazing.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.