Author Topic: 3 will enter 1 will leave...  (Read 1091 times)

keeta

3 will enter 1 will leave...
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:22 AM »
1 Ant
1 Bee
1 Spider
All of the very average garden variety.
A fight to the death to ensue.
All enter a small clear box, and can not leave.
2 will die inside of 10 minutes.
so..who has earned his freedom?

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +464/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: 3 will enter 1 will leave...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:05:32 AM »
Go, I'll bite but first, what sort of ant, bee, and spider?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

keeta

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:47:09 AM »
ant is standard issue black ant
bee is of the wasp family more or less
spider is a freaky wood type commonly found in my wood pile...though i don't know the exact names...this is a true story though, and the answer, kinda shocked me

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +464/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:36:12 AM »
OK, I reckon the spider and bee fought and both died, leaving the ant to walk out.

If the bee is not a bee, but a wasp (and they are quite different things) it might be that the wasp survives. It then depends on whether the wasp is insectivorous and, if it is, whether it eats ants. If only one came out, then the wasp wins.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:41:54 AM »
Many wasps use mimicry to pass for bees (or armed wasps) as a means of survival, so there's a good chance that the wasp went in unarmed. Unless it was a karate-wasp, it's not going to fare well.
And the 'freaky wood' spider ... would that have been one of these ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones ?
In that case, the ant was the only one armed in the fight. Fixed I say! The fight was fixed!

I used to keep track of the ant-wars going on in my front and back yard. When we bought the place, there was a single red nest in the far corner of the front yard. All the other nests were black. But, as the years went by, the reds started taking over until there were only a few black nests lest in the far corner of the back yard. Then, the blacks made a comeback. It seemed to my cursory observations that the blacks had started making more, smaller nests. How that helps, I'm not sure. These days there are black and red nests all over the place. It's like Afghanistan! Ant-ghanistan ... in my yard!!!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:44 AM »
To bee or not to bee...that is the question.  Which is God's favorite? 
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
Some additional questions, 1, how big is the box. 2, is the bee a bee (fat and round) or a wasp  (slender) or a hover fly (posing as a wasp.) but sting-less. 3, is the spider a normal web making spider. 4, how big in comparison was the spider to the ant and wasp/bee.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline pamindfw

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »
None can leave.  No creature earned freedom.
Everyone is godless.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Assuming it was a bee, then two our of the three critters are social insects that require other members for it's survival. Which would lead me to believe that the obvious answer is the spider. However, that would not be a surprise ending. Hence, one of the others made it. The bee is bigger and higher maintenance, so it would probably run out of energy quicker. That leave the lowly ant to somehow make it through the night. After stinging the spider and dying.

And I assume the millions of microbe involved don't count.

So I vote for the ant. I've no idea what reality voted for.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
So I vote for the ant. I've no idea what reality voted for.

Schrodinger's .... thunderdome?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »
Good point. This is "Schrodinger's bugs". How can we know?

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 01:25:59 PM »
It cannot be the Bee since a Bee cannot use its sting and survive.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Good point. This is "Schrodinger's bugs". How can we know?
We know because Schrodingers hypothetical box was impenetrable by light, radiation and anything that would upset the wave-particle duality. You could not see or detect anything inside it, as that would collapse the duality, leaving one outcome.

However, as Keeta very nicely wrote in the original post, this box is clear, so it allows radiation on the visible light spectrum to pass through it.

So that's how we know that some shit is going down in that box ;)

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »
By the nature of things I would expect the spider to back off until it knows it can win.  The ant will fiddle around till it encounters the bee and try to take a piece of it.  The bee will either die from the ant attack or retaliate using its once only sting, thereby ending its own life and killing the ant, or at least seriously wounding it.  If the ant is still alive the spider will bide its time and deploy a web trick - then sooner or later the ant is done for   :)  The spider wins.
Git mit uns

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
I'm voting for the ant, have no reasoning other than the ant seems least likely to exit, therefore the ant must be the one who exits.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

keeta

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »
I LOVE hearing all the ideas on how it went down...so i'm not gonna spill it yet...but i'll answer some questions..

All 3 were of comparible size, I'm no bee expert, but I did sit in a wasp nest when I was 2 yrs old, and had 90+ stings, I'm going wasp on that, but as for a specific type, you got me there.
yes, the box was a clear, small container, made for kids to look at bugs in, magnified portion on the lid...smaller than a breadbox lol
the spider was web making, yes!
and there was one clear winner out of the three who entered thunderdome!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
The all got together, drilled a hole in the box, escaped and went to a bar. Some will write a joke about it soon.

keeta

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43:08 AM »
it was not a daddy long leg spider, it was a little more meaty lol i'm in the olympic mountains, even our spiders have to have a lil meat on their bones to survive up here lol

keeta

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 12:48:44 AM »
it was quite an exciting match i have to say...money was on the table...longest 10 min ever. thought several times it was going to be over,then this one was winning, then that one did some damage, and then got thrown for a loop and the guy you didn't think was in it, pulls ahead..i needed that drink by the time it was over ;) it was right up there with some kick ass ufc fights, except no one dies in those.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:36 AM »
Could we sell this to a TV channel?

BUG WARZ![1]

"In this episode we have Pete who has 100 legs, give or take, it's the Centi-Pete!
And in the other corner of our round container, it's a ladybug, she might use her feminine wiles to distract her opponents, except, it's a boy-ladybug.
And of course, there's last weeks champion. Brian the Killer Bee, who is a wasp, of course.
Who do you fancy, Bob?

Well Frank, Brian did take some damage last week. In fact, he tweeted only this morning: sdskjhfcsnsye.

Wasps can tweet?

Well, no, he just ran around the keyboard and I pressed the actual keys. But to answer your question, I'm betting on the ladybug. Because, you know, in Dutch, they're called Our-dear-Lord's-beasties, with that kind of divine backing it's SURE to win.

Erm, Bob, I'm pretty sure bugs are atheist.

Crap! I had $100 riding on him!"
 1. with a Z because, you know, the kids ... the kidzzzzz

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:28 AM »
Then I will say the Ant.

The spider would start producing web straight away, the wasp which would try to fly would very likely become entangled in the spider silk, the spider would then attack, thus getting stung several time by the wasp, whilst he himself was trying to kill the wasp.

Whilst this is going on, the ant being the intelligent one would be in the corner looking for away to get back to his nest. thus he would survive until, he to became entangled in the now spiderless (dead) web. Unless he was set free.
My two pennies worth.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 08:29:26 AM »
Git mit uns

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
I caught a wolf spider in my office once.  It was pretty big.  I bought some little tiny crickets at the pet store with the intent of feeding them to the spider.  The crickets ate the spider.  Then, they ate each other.  Fricken savages.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
My vote is on the ant. They are like headless cockroaches: they just won't die!!!

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
I don't see the stinger being an effective weapon against other insects.  If the wasp gets enough maneuverability it might be able to get a couple stabs, which would likely paralyze its target.

A spider isn't going to make a great web in 10 min, especially with a wasp thrashing around disrupting it.

The ant should be the best at maneuvering.  Black ants can bite though they don't sting like fire ants.  I could see it winning a long term battle; not sure if 10 min would be long enough.

I'll go with the ant.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
spider winner
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

keeta

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:27 PM »
first off...holy crap william..that's an insane spider..and no, this one was slightly less colorful and flashy and all full of themselves..i would piss myself if i saw the one in your picture, then i would take it's picture lol

are we ready for the big finish??

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 12:00:26 AM »
Yes! This has been bugging me.

keeta

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:43 AM »
alright, alright...here's the story..
my daughter found her bug box outside with a wasp inside it, alive, it flew in apparently and she had shut the lid in time to catch it. then she added the ant...followed by the spider.
immediatly, insanity happens.
spider starts off wizzing around the box with his web..at a breakneck pace.
right away, wasp flys up, and the two of them get into it, wasp pulls a leg off spider! spider retreats..
wasp still stuck in the web, alive, but pissed off.
ant sees wounded spider and makes his move. ant goes crazy and pulls off second and third legs on spider
then goes to wasp and promptly removes both wings. wasp was severly disabled at this point and didn't do much of anything from there on. wasp did not win.
spider, not giving up, sorta flopping around though, trying to make web, and sucking miserably at it. trying to catch up ant in his web and actually did a couple times, however, ant had no one all over him ripping his body to bits like spider did, and wasp did, and did free himself. i had thought it was all over for ant at that point, and i had lost my money, but the lil guy got back in there, and systematically went around and pulled off every remaining leg on spider, leaving him a small ball of fluff on the bottom of the box. spider did not win.
ant is the victor, and i would say he earned his freedom that day by kicking the asss of two fierce players killed in action that day.
those who bet on spider or wasp...pay up ;)