Author Topic: Atheism punishable by death in seven countries  (Read 415 times)

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
Atheism punishable by death in seven countries
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
Good article about persecution of atheists in, of all places, a Christian publication called Christian Post.

http://global.christianpost.com/news/report-identifies-seven-countries-where-atheism-is-punishable-by-death-86413/

From the article:

The International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) released a report on Monday analyzing how secular people around the world are treated, and found that seven different countries have laws that make atheism punishable by death.

The report, "Freedom of Thought 2012 – A Global Report on Discrimination Against Humanists, and the Nonreligious," is 72 pages long and details some of the most extreme cases of persecution or discrimination targeting non-believers around the world.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Atheism punishable by death in seven countries
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »
And one can be jailed for being an atheist in Indonesia. We have at least one member from there, and I hope all remains well with him.

All on the list are muslim countries. Other than the Maldives, I've no interest in visiting any of them, and since it is Allah's will that sea levels rise, the Maldives won't be around all that much longer anyway. So I'm safe for the time being. Unless the Tea Baggers get into power. Then I'm dead meat. But that's okay too. I wouldn't want to try living in a country where stupidity was so highly valued, so I'd rather be dead anyway.

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Atheism punishable by death in seven countries
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »
Well, helps shorten the vacation list possibilities.  I wonder how many of our Christian citizens would like to see that here in the good old US of A?  Would not be surprised to see some state (prob in the South) try something like that.  Some now still have laws saying you cannot hold public office if you are an atheists.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!