Author Topic: religinut's at its finest  (Read 676 times)

Offline Leviathan

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
religinut's at its finest
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
A friend sent me this http://www.goddiscussion.com/105352/british-redcoats/ and here is a little quote from great Ray's thinking

Something radically wrong is happening to our nation and I think the Bible puts its finger on it very clearly.  As a nation we've lost the fear of God.  And America in 1950 was called a God-fearing nation.  But nowadays, if you talk about the fear of God, you're a fundamentalist Bible-bashing, narrow minded bigot full of hate speech, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, that's all it is, the beginning of wisdom.  And someone who fears God looks upon God for their moral guidance.  They don't go out and commit adultery, they don't lie, they don't steal, and they definitely don't go around killing people. When we interviewed those 15 people in "Genius," the whole 15 of them had no fear of God before their eyes.  And what's happened is that we've had British redcoats invading our nation and shoot our youth through the heart.  Men like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, who now went to meet his maker, have come in with their smooth English accents, have convinced millions of young people that they're nothing but primates. There's no ultimate right.  There's no ultimate wrong.  And when that happens to a nation, when they make them into God haters, something dies within a nation and that's what's happened in America.  When a man can go to an elementary school and shoot people, including children, to death and then shoot himself, he doesn't fear God in the slightest.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: religinut's at its finest
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
AHHH when the White man ruled the world,how they miss those days.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
This demonstrates well the insanity of religious people. As 12 Monkeys alluded to, the Christian religion has wreaked unbelievable havoc and disaster upon Native Americans, exploiting them, enslaving them, killing them, taking all of their land and possessions, it's really a rather long list of offenses, which one could certainly add to mine. Disease brought from Europe, such as the plague and smallpox, killed 100 MILLION Native Americans.

What did these Good True Christians think about this? They saw it as vindication from God that the New World was their Promised Land, their New Israel, their City Upon a Hill, and that God ordered this horrible holocaust in order to grant it to them. They would delight at the sight of a native village utterly wiped out by smallpox, or an entire tribe succumbing to the plague, and would nod and praise the Lord. They considered this a just fate and punishment for being savages who didn't believe in God. Hell, Andrew Jackson and others would send Native Americans blankets and clothing infected with smallpox with the direct purpose of wiping them all out. They gloried in the death and slaughter of their enemies, and praised Jesus the whole time.

THIS IS EVIL! How can people ever say that Christianity is a good thing? 100 million dead makes Hitler look like a saint (he was Catholic afterall). All of this happened precisely because of religion, and the people who did it thought that they had divine sanction to do this. It was their destiny.

As to their whole rant about a lack of God and religion being the reason for moral decay, it's all too common babble, and it's utter nonsense. Hitch said it best "Given only faith, mountains can be moved and millions of people who would never normally acquiesce to evil are brought to it straight away and with ease and with self righteousness."  Religion is utter nonsense and causes so much unnecessary evil, yet people still think it wouldn't be possible to be good without it!

I've pointed out before that we never hear Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris saying anything wildly and utterly inappropriate in the wake of terrible tragedies such as the Newtown shootings or Hurricane Sandy. Without religion, there would probably be at least a 70% reduction in the amount of evil and corruption and racism and violence in the world.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
The message is pretty simple.  In order to live we must do so in "fear".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
well, to be honest, what do we expect from a man who thinks the banana was designed by god to fit the human hand?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »
well, to be honest, what do we expect from a man who thinks the banana was designed by god to fit the human hand?
Well, so is another part of the male body but we are not suppose to get our hand on that. ;)

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
As a nation we've lost the fear of God.  And America in 1950 was called a God-fearing nation.  But nowadays, if you talk about the fear of God, you're a fundamentalist Bible-bashing, narrow minded bigot full of hate speech, but the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, that's all it is, the beginning of wisdom.

I've always wondered about this "fear of god" thing.  How is that suppose to fit in with the ideas of "god loves you" and "for god so loved the world..."?  A god that you need to be afraid of sounds like a very bad thing.

And someone who fears God looks upon God for their moral guidance.  They don't go out and commit adultery, they don't lie, they don't steal, and they definitely don't go around killing people.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2008/11/does_religion_make_you_nice.html

from the article:

In his new book, Society Without God, Phil Zuckerman looks at the Danes and the Swedes—probably the most godless people on Earth. They don't go to church or pray in the privacy of their own homes; they don't believe in God or heaven or hell. But, by any reasonable standard, they're nice to one another. They have a famously expansive welfare and health care service. They have a strong commitment to social equality. And—even without belief in a God looming over them—they murder and rape one another significantly less frequently than Americans do.

Denmark and Sweden aren't exceptions. A 2005 study by Gregory Paul looking at 18 democracies found that the more atheist societies tended to have relatively low murder and suicide rates and relatively low incidence of abortion and teen pregnancy.

I wonder how Comfort can explain that.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:50 PM »
Well, so is another part of the male body but we are not suppose to get our hand on that. ;)

;D
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »

I've always wondered about this "fear of god" thing.  How is that suppose to fit in with the ideas of "god loves you" and "for god so loved the world..."?  A god that you need to be afraid of sounds like a very bad thing.
Because God is just Big Brother. Big Brother loves you, but you have to be afraid of Big Brother too. In Big Brother's system, War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength. This is hardly different from God. Big Brother is watching you, just as God does, and monitors your thoughts, and if you think out of line, it could be the end for you. God is Big Brother, just with a magnificent beard instead of a mustache.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2008/11/does_religion_make_you_nice.html

from the article:

In his new book, Society Without God, Phil Zuckerman looks at the Danes and the Swedes—probably the most godless people on Earth. They don't go to church or pray in the privacy of their own homes; they don't believe in God or heaven or hell. But, by any reasonable standard, they're nice to one another. They have a famously expansive welfare and health care service. They have a strong commitment to social equality. And—even without belief in a God looming over them—they murder and rape one another significantly less frequently than Americans do.

Denmark and Sweden aren't exceptions. A 2005 study by Gregory Paul looking at 18 democracies found that the more atheist societies tended to have relatively low murder and suicide rates and relatively low incidence of abortion and teen pregnancy.

I wonder how Comfort can explain that.

Religious people can't explain this and ignore it and it's implications all of the time. I frequently point out that the most secular atheistic societies in the world are also by all measures the most desirable to live in, while countries ruled by religion are the least desirable. It goes right over their head. It's the exact opposite of what their hypothesis predicts, yet they maintain their hypothesis anyways.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
Exactamundo!!

Whenever I see that statement or someone alludes to "the good ol days" I almost choke on my frosted mini wheats...
anything before the 70's mustve been unbearable for my people here.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
Exactamundo!!

Whenever I see that statement or someone alludes to "the good ol days" I almost choke on my frosted mini wheats...
They don't even hide it on Fox news or Rush....they don't come right out and say it but they sure can dance around it well
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
That is why they wanted so bad for Romney to win that they tried to influence polls, unemployment #s, etc.  We had to get the "rich white" guy back in office even if he was a Mormon.

Now they have refocused on Hillary.  Must destroy her over the next 4 years or their plan will fail again and it seems like time is running out to them.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

Precisely. There never were any "good ol' days"; anyone who claims otherwise is usually terrified at the prospect of losing (or having to share) status / power. These days in the US it's mostly the far right Christian fundies, who are getting increasingly shrill and desperate as society in general gets more and more tolerant and inclusive.

Keep that in mind. The crazies aren't going to go quietly or easily, but the tide is against them and they know it. Keep the pressure on: calling them out on their craziness and extremism, pushing for greater gains for women, LGBTs, minorities (who soon won't be) and nonbelievers. We're winning.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius