Author Topic: Dr Strangelove or: How I learned to stop worrying and love Westboro Baptist  (Read 641 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Thank You Westboro Baptist Church! by Paul Brandeis Raushenbush

You see, whether the anti-gay movement and the biblical literalists of our country like it or not, Westboro Baptist Church has become their most visible and vocal mouthpiece. With their 'God Hates Fags' signs and slogans they are saying what other, more 'respectable' Christians are implying in more subtle language.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
You are right.  Maybe the Pope should have tapped into that with his Xmas message.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Good stuff. Thanks, Chronos.

From the linked article:
This small church of no more than 40 people has created a vivid example of the logical conclusion of self-described "Bible-believing Christians" -- they just haven't started stoning adulterers or seafood lovers. When Mike Huckabee and Bryan Fischer blame the Newton shooting on banning school prayer, they place themselves along the continuum with Westboro Baptist Church.

The problem for literalists and homophobes everywhere is that everyone really, really hates the Westboro Baptist Church.

I guess the change came when Fred Phelps' gang branched out from purely protesting gay things to things like military funerals and the Newtown killings that are not identified with anything gay but are nonetheless happening in a country that is beginning to support gay rights.

Now motorcycle groups, burly college jocks, and really everyone else is eager to show up and facedown the hateful church, just like the first young angels in the Laramie project. The country has taken a stand, and it is against this kind of religious hate.

It has taken a crazy band of anti-gay zealots to bring us all together, and in this age of deep political, religious and social division, we can all thank them for that.
--Paul Brandeis Rauschenbush

I suppose there's something to that. But I would caution that whenever such extremists and hatemongers are given exposure, it should be clear that they are being held in ridicule, contempt and best of all, humor.

Laugh at them, highlight their absurdity so that no one can miss it-- which will also make it clear that more subtle bigots are on the same spectrum. Which is of course what Raushenbush is doing.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Hmm...I have wondered, what if the Westboro Baptist Church were a very well put together Poe? In their ridiculousness I think they must be helping the gay community by demonstrating exactly how ridiculous bigotry really is - some people must be thinking, "oh God, I don't really sound like that do I?", when they spout their 'God Hates Fags' crap. I should high-five Fred Phelps...

...in the face

with my knuckles.

I think they really are insane people, however, it's a nice thought that people that insane are only putting on an act, but I imagine they're great fun to play with, seems everyone's doing it, I hope they do a UK tour because I want front row seats.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:15:07 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
We should all ask our Christian friends how they separate themselves from the WBC.  I know one person who will say "love the sinner, hate the sin", which is an extremely pathetic position IMO.  Most of them will openly call the WBC a hate group, and likely completely deny their claim to Christianity.  But we need to help them understand that their position is not superior, but more supportive.  It gives the WBC the platform they need to speak unchallenged, for the most part.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Generally the Christian friends I have aren't supportive of WBC and tend to abhor them for their anti-gay stance. If I had any homophobic friends, they prolly wouldn't be friends for very long. :P

But to any anti-gay Christians, essentially all the WBC are is an active manifestation of themselves, people who are a lot more explosive about their anti-gay stance. But at the end of the day, they believe the same thing, I just think people's main gripe is that they're anti-patriotic and picket at funerals and I suspect, they hate them also because they make gay-bashing look ridiculous, they have no style, they don't pretend to be reasonable human beings. When I see homophobes try to put themselves in a more reasonable light, for example, making it about defending their religious rights, I think of Nick Griffin (leader of BNP in the UK) who's a white supremacist, but instead of being so blatant about it, he hinds behind arguments such as "I care about immigration and am not afraid to talk about it" and "I stand up for the rights of the proud British". Yet, he was once a member of the National Front and until recently (when he was pressure to change it) his party had a whites only policy, yet he'll proclaim he's not a racist. Homophobics seem to display similar traits, so it often amuses me watching people make speeches/arguments about how homosexuality is a sin.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.