Author Topic: Dogs can count!  (Read 192 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Dogs can count!
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:05:06 AM »
Alright, yes, I know that this is not exactly the greatest reveal ever, still ... the other day, the following transpired in my kitchen.
Before I go to bed, I weigh the dogs' breakfast. Saves me two minutes in the morning and time is not abundant in the morning. The dogs, of course, find this tremendously interresting! And I always give them three kibbles each as a treat.
Always three.
But, on tuesday, as I was going through these motions, an article I read waaaaaaay back flashed through my mind. So, I gave them only two kibbles each.
The one dog just gobbled them up and ran off. But the other one, the smart one, ate the two, sniffed about and then looked at me, as if to say, "Oy, you, where's my third kibble!"
I gave it a third kibble and then, it too was satisfied and ran off.
So, now I'm tempted to try and figure out how high a dog can count. Like, if I were to give them 5 kibbles each for a month ... would they notice when I'd give them only 4?
Or can they do math? Like, say, if I give them only 1 kibble. And then give them one more, will the smart one stay there waiting for a third? Will it go "one plus one is ... hey! where's my third?!" or will it be "too few plus more equals happy"

Science in the kitchen!!! (now if only it were cold fusion)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:06:40 AM by Fiji »
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: Dogs can count!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:44:55 AM »
Hell, a better experiment would be to let the dog do your taxes this year and see if he can save you any money. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!