Author Topic: My Intro  (Read 836 times)

Offline Sarevok

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
My Intro
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:50:04 AM »
Hey!

So I came across this site and thought I'd sign up. Look forward to discussing things with people.

I read somewhere else that it is preferable to put your belief in so people can know where you are coming from. So here it goes...

I'm a Christian and believe in the bible. If asked what type of Christianity I am, I don't really have an answer, except that I attend what used to be an independent church (split from the Church of Christ), but we are now affiliated with the Baptists.

Look forward to thoughtful discussions  ;D

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: My Intro
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 12:56:08 AM »
Welcome, Sarevok. Look forward to seeing you around.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +796/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 02:54:16 AM »
I too welcome you Sarevok.

It would help, for the sake of argument, so to speak, if you could tell me (and the rest of us) a little more about your core beliefs. I tend to assume some fairly basic things about Christians that are very generic and probably unfair, especially when I'm wrong. So if you could let all of us know where you stand on the literalness of the bible, on the flood and the age of the earth and such, I would appreciate it. My tendency to assume and then get corrected by new Christians when I guess one stance or another has been frustrating over the years, and it is just plain easier to have a general and accurate overview of a new Christian's POV than it is to guess.

And I am going to hope that your chosen name is an ironic pick from the realm of video games and that in fact you are a nice guy. Because the game character Sarevok wouldn't last long here. We have too many weapons.  ;D
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Skinz

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • I'm young, uneducated & raising kids. Fear.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 03:11:49 AM »
G'day there Sarevok! The guys on this forum, they pull no punches, but I've found if you can reign in your temper, you will find here a quality of arguments both for and against Religion unparalleled on the internet. Also, because the people here really want to get their points across, they don't hide behind extraneous verbosity. See what I did there? :)

See you round man!
"Science changes it's views based on what's observed; Religion ignores the facts so that faith may be preserved."

- Tim Minchin, Comedian.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 07:07:44 AM »
Hi, Sarevok, welcome to WWGHA.  You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.  You must be cautious.   ;)

In all seriousness, the only thing I'd like to caution you about is that, as a believer, you're likely to find yourself overwhelmed with responses from atheists.  If you do, please don't hesitate to pipe up and say, "I'm swamped, please give me a chance to catch my breath."  Also, if you find the problem is chronic, you can also ask a moderator to set up a debate thread for you, in which all interaction will be restricted to you and the person who has agreed to debate you.

I hope you find your stay here enjoyable and informative.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:36:30 AM »
Hell, I don't know what a "verbosity" is and it is too early in the morning to look it up so I guess I'll hide behind it.

Oh, and welcome.  Baptists???  They seem to be very rigid in their thinking...don't like to go outside the box much.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:38:17 AM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:02:08 AM »
Welcome  :o

Offline Sarevok

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:55 PM »
@ParkingPlaces:
I actually took the name from the expansion of the second game. And it was primarily admiration at he's strength more than anything else. That and to those who don't know the game, it sounds like a good name :D
Ok, so about what I believe. I do believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, and that some parts are more metaphoric than others. I understand that there are other documents from the time which were left out for whatever reason, and I believe they were for good reason (unless otherwise shown). I believe the earth was developed/created in the 6 days as accounted in the bible. That the flood was a global event. The earth is less than 10,000 years old (though this was easier than estimated something between 7,000 and 5,000). There is a trinity of God, all are God and separate at the same time, following this, that Jesus is apart of God, as well as being a human. I believe he did die and was raised again. That we are saved by faith and not works.
That's the best I can think of of contentious points between the different Christian groups.

@pianodwarf:
Cheers for the heads up. I've one friend who does a similar thing, and I enjoy discussing with him about what I think and what he thinks. In recent history, we hijacked 2 posts for our discussions (I made sure it was ok by them before going to far)

@Nick:
I don't know I'd call myself a baptist, except to avoid the awkward question of "What do you believe?" "I'm a Christian" "What kind?" "I go to an independent church" type discussions. Though in my experience, I believe most of what baptists do, though I'd hardly call myself rigid.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
Welcome!  We all look forward to learning more about you and your beliefs. 

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sarevok!
Ok, so about what I believe. I do believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, and that some parts are more metaphoric than others. I understand that there are other documents from the time which were left out for whatever reason, and I believe they were for good reason (unless otherwise shown). I believe the earth was developed/created in the 6 days as accounted in the bible. That the flood was a global event. The earth is less than 10,000 years old (though this was easier than estimated something between 7,000 and 5,000). There is a trinity of God, all are God and separate at the same time, following this, that Jesus is apart of God, as well as being a human. I believe he did die and was raised again. That we are saved by faith and not works.
Oh boy.... good luck here mate, you're going to need it.

EDIT: Post #666!!! And on a Sunday too. Ave Satanas!
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
I'm a Christian and believe in the bible.

I'm an atheist, and I believe in my bible, too!  I can touch it, feel it, and read it.  But, as far as the content goes, well that's another matter.

Ok, so about what I believe. I do believe in the literal interpretation of the bible, and that some parts are more metaphoric than others. I understand that there are other documents from the time which were left out for whatever reason, and I believe they were for good reason (unless otherwise shown). I believe the earth was developed/created in the 6 days as accounted in the bible. That the flood was a global event. The earth is less than 10,000 years old (though this was easier than estimated something between 7,000 and 5,000).

Other documents were left out of the bible because there was a vote.  Some of those documents had stranger stuff than talking snakes and walking on water.

As far as the earth being created in 6 days and the earth being less than 10,000 years old, now that's just plain silly.  Try reading a middle school science book.  Try studying astromony, and learning about the size and age of the universe.  Try something with some evidence for a change.  Then get back to us.

As for what I believe:  I believe that there is no archaelogical evidence of the Exodus.  Large numbers of Israelites did not wander in the wilderness for forty years.  That means there was no Exodus.  For me, Odin, that is the deal breaker.

No Exodus, no Moses. No Moses, no Abraham.  No Abraham, no Adam.  No Jesus, no resurrection, no heaven and no hell.

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline Sarevok

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:04:43 AM »
@Odin:
Allow me to rephrase. "I'm a Christian and believe in what the bible says" Better?
Re what you wrote about the age of the planet: If you want to discuss it with me, feel free to make a thread and link me to it. I don't think that discussing that is appropriate in this thread (being in the into section and all)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum sarevok
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
@Odin:
Allow me to rephrase. "I'm a Christian and believe in what the bible says" Better?
Re what you wrote about the age of the planet: If you want to discuss it with me, feel free to make a thread and link me to it. I don't think that discussing that is appropriate in this thread (being in the into section and all)

Yes, I knew what you meant.  I was being as sarcastic as possible.

If you'd like to debate the age of the earth, feel free to open a new discussion.  I'll join in, but I don't have time for a one-on-one debate.  Beware, though, there is nothing new on the subject, not in the last 4 billion years or so.

Odin, King of the Gods

PS - Welcome to the forum.