Author Topic: Way too cool. I mean, WAY too cool  (Read 539 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +797/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Way too cool. I mean, WAY too cool
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »
This exchange between William Shatner and Astronaut Chris Hadfield on Twitter today:

Here is the Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield/status/286948264236945408

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Way too cool. I mean, WAY too cool
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:39 AM »
He never said intelligent life.  That's pretty neat though.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
The fact that an almost real time conversation can happen like this is incredible. Sometimes I look at my kids (almost 22 and 26) and think they have no idea what an amazing world they live in, as they take so much technology totally for granted.

Then I remember that I rarely get impressed by cars or airplanes and realize that I'm guilty too.

But this? Agreed, this is WAY too cool!
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
Amazing. The only way it could be cooler would be if the astronaut was tweeting someone at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

That would be totally awesome. Although I'm sure that tweeting from the seafloor may be technically more challenging than from space, due to the transmission of information through water.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
The fact that an almost real time conversation can happen like this is incredible. Sometimes I look at my kids (almost 22 and 26) and think they have no idea what an amazing world they live in, as they take so much technology totally for granted.

Then I remember that I rarely get impressed by cars or airplanes and realize that I'm guilty too.

But this? Agreed, this is WAY too cool!
Some relatives of mine have a two year old daughter that gives me the same feeling. She can operate an Ipad flawlessly, and it makes me think...

this stuff that I find remarkable is just how the world is to her... The things she will be in awe of... I can't even conceive. We are moving so fast technologically right now. The world changes so much every day and that in and of itself is awe inspiring.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »
this stuff that I find remarkable is just how the world is to her...

This is exactly what I mean, thank you. I look at my 95 YO grandmother and think, wow, what an amazing time in history she's lived through. She grew up on a farm in North Dakota, with an outhouse and kerosene lanterns, one pair of shoes, and literal horse power to work the land. She's still alive (but her awareness is superficial most of the time) in a time when farms are on scales that would have been unimaginable, with machinery to do the work immeasurably more efficiently. There came a point when she just stopped learning any new technology - her needs were more than met and she simply decided to stop participating. I can't imagine the mental adaptations and adjustments that were required of her generation, just to function in society past the 1980's or so.

I often think that we're moving ahead far faster than is... safe? Wise? I wonder what the consequences will be, of forging ahead of our ability to evolve enough to keep up with the changes technology is bringing into our lives. In broad strokes, I'm talking about things like our much more sedentary lifestyle  - overall, covering say, 4 or 5 generations, which is faster than the correct adaptations can be made.

A specific example, of the top of my head: the eye. I have done zero research on this, it's just something I'm pondering in a vague sort of lazy Saturday kind of way. How much more visual input does the average person process every day today, versus 50 years ago? Not just the obvious stuff, like computers and devices, but also the constant onslaught of visual advertising that comes at you in any number of ways too, including the irritating crap in the corner of the TV screen. Your eyes are almost under assault any time you interact with the world.

And I'm not even considering the psychological consequences of all that input coming at you almost without pause. Just the physical implications on the structure and function of the eye itself. I wonder about stuff like this. What consequences are we experiencing that we never connect to constant information input? An obvious one is headaches - do we suffer more, fewer, no difference? How much of what we typically blame on our stressful lifestyle is really to be blamed on our inability to physically adapt to the changes being "forced" on us by the constant intervention of technology?

This isn't meant to be a tirade against technology, and I hope it doesn't read that way. I just wonder, in an idle sort of way, what the price is.

And I still think this is really, really cool!

"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline SimpleCaveman

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-6
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »
It's also cool when young kids know who William Shatner is. It's like bridging the gap of both time and space.

Thinking about the difference in our world between now and when Star Trek first came out 47 years ago. I wonder if we can even imagine what the technology will be like in 2059. We already have some things Star Trek envisioned (like iPads), but what others will we have?