Author Topic: Homosexuality a threat to world peace says pope  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
Homosexuality a threat to world peace says pope
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:01 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/pope-anti-gay-speech_n_2344870.html

A bit late, but 2012's Christmas speech was apparently mostly around how evil gays are and how they're tearing apart the very fabric of reality. Or at least families of an alcoholoc, abusive father, a cheating, gold digging mother who got married at the last minute in Vegas because they were drunk and a child (but preferably as a large quantity of children as her uterus allows). Why, every same man knows the only persons fit to raise a child are a married opposite-gender couple. Newborn crying Jesus forbid they are raised by relatives, complete strangers adopting them or *gasp* a single parent!  Do you guys recall any instance of a child being raised in a pure, Christian, home that turned out wrong? Hells no, because it doesn't happen.

His bold stance on rejecting the unnatural on our bodies is so enlightening, I can't wait for the first modern crusade against hair dye and piercings which should logically culminate with a fierce battle against the medical treatment of congenital and genetic disorders. Guess if you're born the wrong way, not all the prayer in the world can do shit because it's your natural state. Sucks for those born without some li- OH I GET IT. All amputees are born that way and that's why prayer doesn't work. Brilliant!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Re: Homosexuality a threat to world peace says pope
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:39:07 AM »
I am simply gobsmacked  :o .... how the fuck does this compute, even in the minds of catholics:
Benedict said gay marriage, like abortion and euthanasia, was a threat to world peace.

No mention of sharia law, the tea party, global warming, or poverty  :-\

And then it gets more bizarre:
... men with "deep-seated" homosexual tendencies shouldn't be ordained priests.
So does that mean its okay to get men with "deep seated"  :o heterosexual tendencies ... and then what? ... make them attempt to be celibate!
Or does he have a little test up his papal sleeve to detect and discriminate between the mild homos and the "deep seated" ones?  Any room for bisexuals in the priesthood?  Is there such a thing as a "deep seated" bisexual?

I suppose one bit of progress we should be thankful for is the recognition of the concept of "deep seated" tendencies.
Git mit uns

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
Wow, I'm going to have to change my thinking now.  I thought the threat to world peace was kids wearing their pants real low. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
No mention of sharia law, the tea party, global warming, or poverty  :-\

My apologies, a week later his holiness squeezed in a brief mention of economics and inequality, but managed yet another little stab at gay marriage!

In his full message for the peace day, the pope called for a new economic model and ethical regulations for markets, saying the global financial crisis was proof that capitalism does not protect society's weakest members.

He also warned that food insecurity was a threat to peace in some parts of the world and strongly reaffirmed the Church's opposition to gay marriage. Heterosexual marriage had an indispensable role in society, he said.
Git mit uns

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »

...how evil gays are and how they're tearing apart the very fabric...

Not my original thought, but gays would never damage fabric!  Just sayin'.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »
As much as I despise the religious reactionaries for the harm they've done and are still doing, one way they are useful is in driving people away from religion. Worldwide, the overall tide is against them; they can see it and it terrifies them.

Not to say that atheists shouldn't continue to challenge them and call them on their abuses and BS, but when they refuse to change and spout nonsense like this, it makes our task so much easier.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
So sayeth the Pope as he walks away in his dress and red ruby slippers. ;)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Well at least we know. I had merely thought world peace might be disturbed by lots of men giving up sex and staying celibate (parts from the ones with mistresses of course!)

Meanwhile, I agree, he is doing a great job of keeping the younger part of the population out of the church and helping to reduce the influence of the Vatican. I wonder what else he will do to shrink the church...
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
I wonder, is this the same pope whose city state still has an official alliance with Adolf Hitler?
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
"Deep seated". There is definitely an inappropriate joke in there somewhere.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
Imagine whirled peas.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
I do not have the emotional strength to read the link.

Yeah, if I had been asked to talk about a goal of world peace, I might have mentioned social and economic inequities, problems of global food distribution, the impact that climate change has had on food production in various parts of the world, and the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of a decreasing percentage of humanity. I might have talked about hatred and intolerance and the marginalization of ethnic minorities in many dozens of world nations.  I might have pointed out the role that religion is playing in many of the world's battlegrounds.

But I am not as wise, I suppose, as the Pope.  So if harboring hatred towards gay couples is the best way to work towards world peace, then I guess we should all embrace it. 

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »
Of course gays are a threat. They walk around, being obvious targets to homophobes and get harmed. Which is not peaceful. So its all their fault.

Of course, I suspect that if there were no gay people, the same bad guys would be alphaphobes, beating up anyone who knew the alphabet.

Some people just need targets.

But it is, of course, the fault of the target.

Pope on, dude!

Does anyone know where I can find his theme song on the internet? You know, "Heil to the Pope".
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Skinz

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • I'm young, uneducated & raising kids. Fear.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:09 PM »
It's a process of selective biblical crud, nothing new, but this Pope doesn't even try to live in the real world. I'm sure if asked why gay folk are a threat to world peace, Benedict or one of his mouthpieces would quote biblical verses and try and correlate them with todays world. They'll ignore the bit about Jesus disliking massive organized religion and moneylenders, though.

If only we could ignore the pope. Unfortuatley, so many people take his word as THE WORD, despite so many popes being hopelessly disconnected from this realm of reality.

Stagnated religion is a threat to world peace, moreso than a stagnated nation, as religion spans nations.
"Science changes it's views based on what's observed; Religion ignores the facts so that faith may be preserved."

- Tim Minchin, Comedian.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
I imagine he came to the priesthood early in life.  Probably been a priest for 60+ years or so.  Can you imagine trying to understand the real world after that?

Offline Lazarus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 05:59:49 AM »
Meanwhile, Religion is a threat to world peace says every intelligent person.

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »
"Amen" to that. Now that the pope resigned I hope they select a younger individual to be pope who has strong humanitarian values, if that's even possible. A humanitarian pope would probably get called on heresy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:22:29 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »
Now that the pope resigned I hope they select a younger individual to be pope who has strong humanitarian values, if that's even possible.

It's theoretically possible, but highly unlikely.  You can be sure that a potential pope's entire history is very carefully scrutinized before the first round of votes is even cast.  The only way a progressive could be elected pope is if he pretended, from a fairly young cage, to be anti-gay, anti-contraception, etc etc.  Any Catholic clergyman who spoke openly, or even suggested, really, that (for example) same-sex marriage might be acceptable would not make it very high in the hierarchy and would indeed stand a pretty good chance of being laicized.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »
Now that the pope resigned I hope they select a younger individual to be pope who has strong humanitarian values, if that's even possible.

It's theoretically possible, but highly unlikely.  You can be sure that a potential pope's entire history is very carefully scrutinized before the first round of votes is even cast.  The only way a progressive could be elected pope is if he pretended, from a fairly young cage, to be anti-gay, anti-contraception, etc etc.  Any Catholic clergyman who spoke openly, or even suggested, really, that (for example) same-sex marriage might be acceptable would not make it very high in the hierarchy and would indeed stand a pretty good chance of being laicized.

Also the present pope has packed the numbers if the cardinals with people who think like him so its most likely we will end up with another one like him.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
"Amen" to that. Now that the pope resigned I hope they select a younger individual to be pope who has strong humanitarian values, if that's even possible. A humanitarian pope would probably get called on heresy.

Don't say "young" around bishops. That distracts them.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59:07 PM »
I don't know about world peace but it seems to be causing a lot of turmoil inside the Vatican.

Offline J0SH

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Unbeliever of the bullshit.
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 04:43:16 AM »
I don't know about world peace but it seems to be causing a lot of turmoil inside the Vatican.
Mainstream religion certainly does hinder the possibility of world peace, though. The great amount intolerance it causes, the wars, the deaths... world peace is far from an impossibility and it will not be in our lifetime but I do believe that eventually, if we do not destroy ourselves first, humanity will eventually obtain world peace. Even if mainstream religion wasn't practiced anymore it wouldn't cause world peace but it would be a huge, HUGE step in the right direction towards world peace.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:44:54 AM by J0SH »
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion."  -Robert M. Pirsig
“Be the change you want to see in the world.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:45 AM »
Right ... like I'm going to trust the leader of an organization responsible for dozens of thousands of negligent homicides each year on moral questions.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:50:01 AM by Noman Peopled »
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 07:59:28 AM »
I agree that homosexuality is a threat to world peace. The Pope knows what he's talking about. He's infallible. If homosexuality were an accepted lifestyle and practice, the Holy See would turn into a Sodomite state and the Catholic church would get nothing done. It doesn't get much done now, anyway, but you can imagine how much worse things would get with all those bishops-gone-wile a suckin' and a fuckin'.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
After the resignation of the cardinal in Edinburgh, cardinal O'Brien, following allegations of 'inappropriate behaviour' which seems to have been homosexual, any talk of homosexuality being the root of evil in the world seems to work best in helping us see how the most homophobic preachers are probably the most homosexual and that the church is probably riddled with this. I saw 25% of priests suggested.

I'd say the Church of Rome ought to shut up about the topic before any more of its senior people are outed! 

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +386/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
I agree that homosexuality is a threat to world peace. The Pope knows what he's talking about. He's infallible. If homosexuality were an accepted lifestyle and practice, the Holy See would turn into a Sodomite state and the Catholic church would get nothing done. It doesn't get much done now, anyway, but you can imagine how much worse things would get with all those bishops-gone-wile a suckin' and a fuckin'.

Oh, I don't know.  A few orgasms shared with other consenting adults would probably do 'em good.  Something just occurred to me: while there's no realistic hope of a progressive Pope being elected, the odds of getting a gay one are well within the realm of possibility.  Imagine.  There he is, trying out St. Peter's throne for the first time.  Reactionary and dogmatic and self-hating to be sure, but inside he's aching to perform his first mass cross-dressing in a nun's habit.  And then: an epiphany.  Ermagherd!  I can speak ex cathedranow!  For the first time in my life, I and everyone who's like me can be FREEEEEEE!  Eyes alight with revelation, the new pope arises from his throne, determined that the Catholic Church shall henceforth become a force for love and peace in the world.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 04:30:20 AM »
Sounds wonderful, kcrady, but we have to remember that we may have had many gay popes in the past but the trouble is that the gay ones are more keen to show thta they are not gay by attacking homosexuality. Just look at O'brien - the retired cardinal in Scotland!

So, sadly, nothing is likely to change but at least there is this - they've all been wearing dresses for centuries!

Offline Shandi

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »
... and red ruby slippers.

Are they Versace?  Maybe Jimmy Choo?

nope.  Prada. 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/22/AR2005122201914.html
No they are not Prada, they are Adriano Stefanelli, cost about 1200 euros, handmade of course.
If 50 million people say a foolish thing it´s still a foolish thing (Bertrand Russel)