Author Topic: G'day from the burning west  (Read 575 times)

Offline Skinz

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • I'm young, uneducated & raising kids. Fear.
G'day from the burning west
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »
Howdy there! I'm a thirty year old high school educated minimum wage earning father of two. I have been reading this forum for a little while now, and found it a fantastic and fascinating way to avoid working. Also, I've read recently that a nation's social dysfunction goes up when religious faith goes up, and since I live in a secular nation that has semi extreme christian politics and heavy catholic religious education in state schools, I should probably try and save the country before my kids get to school age.

I'll warn you all now, I have strong and uninformed opinions that will crumble the instant they are proved wrong. I'm not afraid to tell someone they are stupid, and I'm not afraid to tuck my tail between my legs and eat a big ass slice of humble pie. Since I was a teenager and realized I know everything, the only way I've ever learnt is by being proven wrong.

I have a background of minor church affiliation and sunday school shenanigans. I read the Hobbit and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest and the bible at about the same time in my youth, and I have to say that the bible was the crappiest fantasy story I've ever read. You couldn't get a publisher to touch that with a ten foot pole in this day and age. That experience pretty much convinced me that if there is a God, he cannot be the God in the bible. In my human quest to explain the universe I moved  into occultism and metaphysics and have tried everything from blood and Ouija boards to levitating and LSD, and then I found Carl Sagan.

Oh, Carl Sagan.

His poetic ruminations about the cosmos made me wish I had paid more attention in physics, and motivated me to make science my bitch. I began reading history and psychology and anything I could get my hands on to begin to piece together in my frail biped brain the answer that we all ultimately seek;

What the hell is going on here?
"Science changes it's views based on what's observed; Religion ignores the facts so that faith may be preserved."

- Tim Minchin, Comedian.

Offline shnozzola

Re: G'day from the burning west
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
Welcome,
               What a good introduction.  Ah, Cuckoo's Nest, also made into one of the most powerful movies ever, IMHO.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »
Welcome, Skinz. Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:22:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Skinz.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
Hello and welcome!!! I'm glad you've found our little corner of the universe.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum Skinz! I think I already like your posting style. Make yourself at home here.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
Welcome Skinz. Your appreciation of Cuckoo's Nest will serve you well here.

The resemblance is astonishing. We even have an Indian! Nobody as sane as Jack Nicholson, though.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
Sorry, I'm getting carried away.  I think I may watch this to celebrate the entrance of 2013.

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs