Author Topic: Christopher Hitchens  (Read 2066 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Christopher Hitchens
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »
I have to say that I discovered this incredible human being way too late, as in after he was dead. I really can't think of a stronger advocate for atheism and humanism than Hitch. I think it will likely be that he will go down as one of the most influential non-believers of all time. I really enjoy watching videos of Hitch, and thought that we ought to have a place to share our favorite Hitchens videos and interviews. It would be a great place to send people who are "on the fence" too. I have a few to start with.

This is one of my absolute favorites. Hitch destroys religion, at a Baptist Church in Texas of all places! The last few minutes are absolute legend.

This is Hitch utterly ridiculing Dinesh D'souza. A few incredible quotes in this.

I giggle every time I hear Hitch call Mother Theresa a douchebag

Please feel free to share your favorite Hitchslap. Let's keep Hitch alive!
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
Re: Christopher Hitchens
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
I love Hitchens. He accomplished so much in his life, most of which he did while drunk.  ;) Hitchens was not one to fuck with.

Here's my favorite compilation of the Hitchslap.

This guy never backed down from speaking his mind, and sadly for religious folks, he's spot on. He'll call even the most famous atheist advocates douchebags if he deemed them worthy to be called so. I mean, the man never backed down from what he believed.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
I love Hitchens. He accomplished so much in his life, most of which he did while drunk.  ;) Hitchens was not one to fuck with.

Here's my favorite compilation of the Hitchslap.
^^^This is indeed a good one! A great mash up of great moments. He just did not give religion the automatic respect that religious people assume they should be given. The way it should be.

This guy never backed down from speaking his mind, and sadly for religious folks, he's spot on. He'll call even the most famous atheist advocates douchebags if he deemed them worthy to be called so. I mean, the man never backed down from what he believed.
Indeed. His level of education, proficiency in the English language, and prodigious argument style made him an absolute steamroller. I love how at the Christian Book Expo, he is facing FOUR Christians, Wilson, Strobel, Craig, and some other dude I can never remember, and utterly embarrasses them. At their own propaganda meeting. It would be like Freud showing up at a Nazi convention to tell Hitler that he has mommy problems.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:19 PM »
This is one of my favorite debates. Even though I think Wolpe is a self important prick, I think he is at least able to have somewhat of an intellectual discussion with Hitch. He does better than any other Christian I have seen debate Hitch.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:18:38 PM »
Hitch died just about the same time I started my deconversion process.... like, the same week actually - So missed him too, but have loved watching his stuff on youtube and such.  Good dude.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hemingway

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • God will pardon me, that's his line of work
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:40:34 AM »
He was a very witty guy and will be missed.  Hats off to him. 
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »
He had an amazing way with them there words. ;)

I'm surprised (or just missed it) that some Christian group has not claimed that Hitch converted on his death bed like they say Darwin did.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
I think I've already talked about this, but I attended his last public appearance in Houston.  He had the place in tears for his bravery in the face of imminent death.  Standing ovations, the works.  It was indeed very moving.  I got him to sign a book for me, and it is not really legible because he was physically struggling.  Dawkins was there to introduce him and award him the Dawkins award...unbelievable moment in history that I witnessed.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
I know one of his last speeches he talked about ppl coming up to him and asking "do you believe now?"  And him basically replying "no, and fuck you for saying so"
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
I'm surprised (or just missed it) that some Christian group has not claimed that Hitch converted on his death bed like they say Darwin did.

Give them a few decades and they find some or other misquote to spin and feed into their babies brains.

In a hundred years from now the Catholics will probably backflip on condoms and celibacy for priests - then make Hitch a saint for bringing God's word to the world on these issues.
Git mit uns

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »

Give them a few decades and they find some or other misquote to spin and feed into their babies brains.

In a hundred years from now the Catholics will probably backflip on condoms and celibacy for priests - then make Hitch a saint for bringing God's word to the world on these issues.

The former, yes; the latter, I doubt.

Certainly, for catholicism to survive in 100 years it must evolve, but Hitch will not receive any thanks for it.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
This time Christopher Hitchslaps Frank Turek, an extraordinarily self righteous loud mouth jerk. Short but sweet. Morality does not come from Big Brother!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
I think I've already talked about this, but I attended his last public appearance in Houston.  He had the place in tears for his bravery in the face of imminent death.  Standing ovations, the works.  It was indeed very moving.  I got him to sign a book for me, and it is not really legible because he was physically struggling.  Dawkins was there to introduce him and award him the Dawkins award...unbelievable moment in history that I witnessed.
The one at the Texas Freethought Convention? I have seen the video of that and it is truly moving. I can't believe you were there! You sir are one lucky person to have been able to experience such a moment. You can tell from the video that the reception for him was incredible. He's truly my hero (along with Leo Major, pictured in my avatar.) He was so morally courageous and intellectually bold it was amazing. I really believe that history will remember him as being one of the most important advocates against religion ever, and as having largely inspired a movement of secularism, humanism, freethought, and shedding of religious chains.

And, to show what I mean, watch Hitch here destroy the idea of religious morality yet again. It's unbelievable how he can just utterly dismantle this nonsense right on the fly.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=GQcGXBo8HP8&NR=1  (not sure why the video won't imbed).

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »
Not to take anything away from the Hitchens thread, or to hijack the thread:

Some who just found Hitchens lately, should make sure you find Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.  Harris is also sharp-witted, though somewhat less dramatic.  Here is one of my favorites.

Odin

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
No problem Odin! I admire Harris and Dawkins greatly as well. And of course Dr. Neil Tyson. This is definitely a good clip. Harris is definitely a sharp man who makes an excellent case against religion. If you haven't yet, read his book A Christian Nation, and of course any of his other books ( I haven't read them all yet either). Thanks for sharing!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
My impression of Hitch was that he was so well versed in foreign affairs, politics, and the insidious entanglement of religion and religious leaders around the world.  He seemed to be able to recall so much detail from memory, and was so quick-witted.  He must have spent years honing his approach, and had long heard the many apologist arguments that are so easily refuted or debunked.

It was great meeting both he and Richard Dawkins in person at the book signing, sitting side-by-side.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 11:53:02 PM »

The former, yes; the latter, I doubt.

Certainly, for catholicism to survive in 100 years it must evolve, but Hitch will not receive any thanks for it.

They do seem to be working on what they think is a chink in his armour - characterising him as a "repressed seeker"  :o :-\
At about 1:28

Git mit uns

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
" A resurrected person who was the son of a virgin could still be talking nonsense. There's no logic that says he must be right."  Christopher Hitchens

A great clip, and good to see him getting the message out to young people.

Turek is Hitchslapped again

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »

Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

... and Hitchens wasn't in this one but it's still one of my favorites.

Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +430/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
Well, every Hitchslap is a great Hitchslap, but I just love this one:

Smarmy theist douchebag radio show host tries cheap emotional manipulation tricks and Hitch just takes.  Him.  Apart.  "No!  By what right?"  Love it, love it, love it. 
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
I love that one too Kcrady, Todd Friel is such a tool, and Hitch just walks all over him here.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »
Well, every Hitchslap is a great Hitchslap, but I just love this one:
Smarmy theist douchebag radio show host tries cheap emotional manipulation tricks and Hitch just takes.  Him.  Apart.  "No!  By what right?"  Love it, love it, love it.
That was difficult to listen to.  The host just....doesn't....understand anything.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
My impression of Hitch was that he was so well versed in foreign affairs, politics, and the insidious entanglement of religion and religious leaders around the world.  He seemed to be able to recall so much detail from memory, and was so quick-witted.  He must have spent years honing his approach, and had long heard the many apologist arguments that are so easily refuted or debunked.

It was great meeting both he and Richard Dawkins in person at the book signing, sitting side-by-side.
color me jealous!

I think his best attribute was his quick wit, not only did he have a response for everything almost immediately, but it was definitive and usually comedic.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
Watch this short clip to see Hitch embarrass Tony Blair. It's really almost too easy.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »
Just came across this one.  Title: Hitchens vs God (god loses by the way)

* removed the s
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:15:59 PM by Chronos »
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
I actually watch the long ones...

LOVE this one

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
The Gawd, I don't think that I have ever been able to suffer through that debate in its entirety. There is so much theistic drivel going on its terrifying. I have seen some highlights from this debate though, where Hitchens just tears their shit apart. It's sad that 4 Christians with credentials such as these still don't stand a chance in hell against Hitch.

Here's one I just watched, Hitch tears Dinesh D'souza apart. Dinesh always does seem to have a hard time against Hitch.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Hanging out on YouTube so gonna be a few more Hitchslaps today.