Author Topic: Forced to marry your rapist...  (Read 499 times)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
Forced to marry your rapist...
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »

Ha...You thought I was talking about Deuteronomy.  The malpractice is still going strong in India, Morocco, Islamic countries, plus many more.

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/news-features/forced-to-marry-her-rapist-20120319-1vfaz.html

The suicide of Amina Filali, a Moroccan 16 year old instructed by a court to marry her rapist, has sparked outrage on the internet and protests in the streets of Rabat, Morocco’s capital. A law allowing rapists to escape prosecution if they marry their victims is an “embarrassment”, campaigners say – which is one way to put it, although some might prefer “psychological torture” or “total disgrace”.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: Forced to marry your rapist...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Hey, it's all good if they are not gay.  Marriage is between a man and woman.  It does not say how they got there. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +748/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »

Stuff like this makes should make it clear to the whole world that religion has the capacity to be, and often is, the lowest form of knowledge. Any claim to morality religions with this requirement make are irrelevant. The same goes for stoning, executing women who kill their rapist while fighting him off, etc. There is NO morality in a religion that can find justification for such crap in their so-called holy texts.

Christian texts have similar ridiculousness, like executing those who work on the sabbath, but at least most of todays christians ignore those parts. I don't know why. If its in the bible its true, they tell us. But I do appreciate their efforts to mime morality.

For christians, it's a start. But way too many muslims get their mind raped by the koran and then marry it or something.

Edit: code crap keeps popping up in my posts...Got rid of it.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
I, too, would kill myself. Unless, of course, I had a way to escape. I would hope that a foreign country would give sanctuary, though the odds of any woman in such a backwards country having the means to run away is low. I think they should change the law, and in the meantime, create an underground railroad to get women out. This issue, and those like it, make me so angry I actually feel violent. And this from an otherwise pacifist hippie type.   :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline carstensenscott

• Graduate
  • Darwins +29/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
Poster child for religious achievements.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
Who does the person marry if they are gang raped?  Had she survived who would the girl in India have to spend the rest of her days with? 
http://news.yahoo.com/suspects-india-rape-case-charged-murder-004801507.html
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
I'm not sure that Hinduism has the same rules so I don't think she would have to marry anyone.

However, I am sure that Sharia Law will have addressed this: I should imagine it would be the first assailant or the leader of the gang.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline 3sigma

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-1
  • Sceptic
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
Christian texts have similar ridiculousness, like executing those who work on the sabbath, but at least most of todays christians ignore those parts. I don't know why.

Perhaps it’s because Christianity no longer has the political power it once commanded. I sometimes wonder how long it would be before people were once again burned alive for heresy if Christianity had the same political power it had then.
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. – David Hume 1711–1776

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/27/india-gang-rape-suicide_n_2370859.html

I got to that story through a string of stories from the recent gang rape in India. This one is an intermediate one.

The most heartening story is about Debangana, who wont back down. She has got something of a political protest movement going behind her, and legal aid.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2012/12/31/2003551419
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

keeta

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
maybe if women had the same rights as men do in those countries things would be different. maybe if women weren't thought of as property that could help, until that happens, wouldnt hold my breath. though i've seen these contraptions that women can insert if they feel threated i guess, and it has big barbs going all up and down all over this 'sleeve' if you will, so if she's raped, it'll be the last time that guy pee's outta just one hole..freakin awesome!!!!
i wouldn't kill myself, then he wins, fuk that. now if he happened to fall down some stairs on my way out the door, well hopefully he can reach a phone and call himself some help, i have a feeling it woud be just out of reach though..
i have zero sympathy for men who can't respect the word "no" and what may happen to them if they violate that. >:(