Author Topic: If you hear God speak you (usually) aren't crazy  (Read 531 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
If you hear God speak you (usually) aren't crazy
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »

(CNN)—In the Bible, God spoke directly to Abraham. He spoke directly to Moses. He spoke directly to Job. But to your neighbor down the street?

For the last 10 years, I have been doing anthropological and psychological research among experientially oriented evangelicals, the sort of people who seek a personal relationship with God and who expect that God will talk back. For most of them, most of the time, God talks back in a quiet voice they hear inside their minds, or through images that come to mind during prayer. But many of them also reported sensory experiences of God. They say God touched their shoulder, or that he spoke up from the back seat and said, in a way they heard with their ears, that he loved them. Indeed, in 1999, Gallup reported that 23% of all Americans had heard a voice or seen a vision in response to prayer.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: If you hear God speak you (usually) aren't crazy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 08:38:10 AM »
Let me guess: people who hear da lawd's voice telling them good things are fine, but telling people to kill or harm others is insane.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 08:40:02 AM »
Tricky how it ended with MLK getting reassurance from jesus.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Hey, He talks to Pat Robertson and those other TV evangels all the time.  I bet He is giving Pat 2013 predictions as we speak.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +751/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »
Lets see. I quit using a cell phone because I got tired of the phantom vibrations, which I knew were not real, but people won't get rid of god, who causes the same type of hallucination. (If you're not familiar with the phenomenon, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Vibration_Syndrome

Maybe we should charge a high monthly religion fee (paid to me, not churches) and make IM'ing with the lord an additional cost. Then others might do what I did with phones and drop the service.

At least cell phones are real. So I only feel partly crazy. Religious folks keep wanting me to go all the way.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »
I guess it is only "special" people who God talks to.  I've never heard a peep out of Him.  I would not try for about a month or two.  NFL playoffs are going on now.  God's going to be really busy figuring out who should win each game and then the big one.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
I guess it is only "special" people who God talks to.  I've never heard a peep out of Him.  I would not try for about a month or two.  NFL playoffs are going on now.  God's going to be really busy figuring out who should win each game and then the big one.

I become extremely religious this time of year.
NOT!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »
Lets see. I quit using a cell phone because I got tired of the phantom vibrations, which I knew were not rea
There's such a thing?  I've never had that kind of problem.  The very few occasions that I thought that my cell phone was ringing or vibrating when it wasn't, I correctly identified it as a memory or imagination.