Author Topic: For You Ex-Christians/Skeptics Who Want A Good Laugh  (Read 605 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
For You Ex-Christians/Skeptics Who Want A Good Laugh
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
I have been involved in a debate with a fundamentalist Christian/Catholic named "Stompboxman" for nearly 12 months. This guy just WON'T GIVE UP! He is SO persistent (and irrational) that he just WILL NOT budge. I give him credit for being a trooper. Anyways, checkout the debate here and tell me what you think:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2774416-The-Reason-To-Believe-In-God-Jesus-Christ-and-the-Holy-Spirit./page821

I figured, for anyone interested, you could get some serious laughs. Sometimes debates begin in the oddest places!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: For You Ex-Christians/Skeptics Who Want A Good Laugh
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:54:22 AM »
Holy crap (so to speak)! A year and a half long discussion on a musicians web site about god? Almost 16,500 posts in one discussion? Frankly, I don't know which one of you are more stubborn.

Very impressive. But please don't invite him over here. I sampled the conversation at various stages and I don't think we could add anything to what you and the other folks there have already said.

Sure sounds like most musicians have at least that part of their head screwed on straight. I assume you are one too (a head-screwed musician, that is).

In any case, it is pretty clear that you can hold your own when confronted with that level of inane belief. So you are certainly a welcome addition to our group.

Hopefully we'll get another doozy soon. Our current crop of believers are relatively calm folks and though they give us a chance to practice our craft, they are not challenging our sensibilities too much. But just wait. As I always say of christians, they got a million of 'em.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
I used to have a larger threshhold  for non-sense... cant get through more than a couple pages of it now. That thread would drive me off of the ledge in mere minutes.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:02 PM »
I used to have a larger threshhold  for non-sense... cant get through more than a couple pages of it now. That thread would drive me off of the ledge in mere minutes.

Same here. I can barely talk about 2000 year old Myth Dude.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:11:59 PM »
It's true. I am stubborn!! Well, it's probably a combination of factors. For one, I LOVE debating religion, and, I LOVE winning! LOL. When I was a fundamentalist/apologist I was the same way! Trust me, I will outlast this guy.

For further evidence, here is another debate I took part in (same site), where I basically WON. This guys name was "Echoes". For all intents and purposes it was clearly CHECKMATE. You can see my arguments/refutations DEMOLISH this apologist as he attempted to use presuppositional apologetics mixed with evidential-ism. At the end, he actually PMed the moderator and "bowed out" - telling the moderator that he would like his account removed from the forum and that all he should be put on universal "ignore"!!! 

DEBATE:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2911289-The-reasons-to-doubt-the-Bible-Christian-claims-and-Christian-Theology/page133

HIS DUCKING OUT:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2972096-Echoes-Has-Left-the-Building&highlight=echoes+removed
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »
It's true. I am stubborn!! Well, it's probably a combination of factors. For one, I LOVE debating religion, and, I LOVE winning! LOL. When I was a fundamentalist/apologist I was the same way! Trust me, I will outlast this guy.

For further evidence, here is another debate I took part in (same site), where I basically WON. This guys name was "Echoes". For all intents and purposes it was clearly CHECKMATE. You can see my arguments/refutations DEMOLISH this apologist as he attempted to use presuppositional apologetics mixed with evidential-ism. At the end, he actually PMed the moderator and "bowed out" - telling the moderator that he would like his account removed from the forum and that all he should be put on universal "ignore"!!! 

DEBATE:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2911289-The-reasons-to-doubt-the-Bible-Christian-claims-and-Christian-Theology/page133

HIS DUCKING OUT:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2972096-Echoes-Has-Left-the-Building&highlight=echoes+removed
I love to debate too... but its only so much circular reasoning I can take! TBH its not even fair... I tend to like to take positions I dont hold for the sake of argument, but with religion I cant do that because one side is at such a disadvantage in every aspect that I cant make a good argument for it. I tried.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:17:17 AM »
I proclaim a Glorious Work of my Lord Jesus Christ! The Lord God provided for me as He promised He would. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ! All honor and glory are yours for ever and ever!

Wow.

*walks away slowly*
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54:25 PM »
Median, I LOVE your posts and arguments! But... it might be time to give up. This guy is no different than the occasional passing through of a brain-washed individual we get on these boards. Every time you ask him a direct question, it's fingers in the ears, "la-la-la-la-la, I can't hear you" type of shit as his only argument/answer. Pathetic.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D