Author Topic: what about the dinosaurs?  (Read 1617 times)

kitten

what about the dinosaurs?
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
why is there no mention of dinosaurs in the bible...there is obvious evidence they actually existed, why were they left out? do christians actually believe dino's were made up by man like we believe god is made up by man? thoughts?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: what about the dinosaurs?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
Oh, no, dinos were around when man walked the Earth.  There is even a museum in Kentucky that shows you all about it.  Noah had a few on the Ark.  The others were out of luck.  There is a pic somewhere here of Jesus riding his favorite dino.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
why is there no mention of dinosaurs in the bible...there is obvious evidence they actually existed, why were they left out? do christians actually believe dino's were made up by man like we believe god is made up by man? thoughts?

Hi kitten,

No they think dinos are real -

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:44:49 PM »
They were a trick orchestrated by Beelzebub.  :blank:

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »
Good thing because that trick turned into oil.

kitten

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
i think you're pulling my leg hal..lol i don't remember and on the 6th day god made man and dino's ha ha ha maybe it should be, and god made man, dino's, ufo's,& bigfoot, but man made god,santa, the easter bunny,& the toothfairy :)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
Then we all rested. ;)

kitten

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
bahahaha, you guys are funny! :P

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »
i think you're pulling my leg hal..lol i don't remember and on the 6th day god made man and dino's ha ha ha maybe it should be, and god made man, dino's, ufo's,& bigfoot, but man made god,santa, the easter bunny,& the toothfairy :)

No kitten, I wouldn't pull your leg even though you would shoot me with your blaster -

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
No mention of dinosaurs, but it does mention dragons. I'm sure that in the Christian doublespeak/word interpretation guide that the word "dragon" really means "dinosaur". Why not? Hate means love, good means evil, death means life, dragon could surely mean dinosaur. Just depends on which SPAG menu you order from today.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »
To go off of what kaziglu said about dragons being dinosaurs.  Here are a few links about Job and dinosaurs.

Keep in mind that the term "dinosaur" didn't exist until the 19th century.  Prior to that, they were mostly referred to as 'dragons'.
http://creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted-behemoth.html

And this one makes for a real good laugh.
http://www.bible.ca/tracks/b-dinosaurs-mentioned-in-bible.htm
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline 3sigma

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-1
  • Sceptic
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
No mention of dinosaurs, but it does mention dragons. I'm sure that in the Christian doublespeak/word interpretation guide that the word "dragon" really means "dinosaur". Why not? Hate means love, good means evil, death means life, dragon could surely mean dinosaur. Just depends on which SPAG menu you order from today.

I’ve seen Christians use “behemoth” as the same excuse, but then the KJV also talks about unicorns so I wouldn’t place much stock in anything it says.

It’s interesting you mention the Christian tendency to use words to mean the opposite of their common usage meanings. I’ve noticed this trend too. The classic case is Truth meaning fiction, fallacies and misrepresentations—or TRUTH meaning an outright lie. Then there is real meaning imaginary, sometime expressed using the weasel words real to me. There are also the euphemisms fact for belief, know for believe, open minded for gullible and respect for unquestioning deference.
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. – David Hume 1711–1776

kitten

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 02:43:22 AM »
kudo's hal, you came up with the sticker edition even, double brownie points for you! ;)

kitten

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:30 AM »
I’ve seen Christians use “behemoth” as the same excuse, but then the KJV also talks about unicorns so I wouldn’t place much stock in anything it says.
this is a good point you bring up...can you believe anything said after you find such falsehoods in a txt so many believe to be true...hmmm
unicorns huh, sounds a tad made up to be in a story of some sort, not meant to be taken as word...yet somehow has...

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 02:58:59 AM »
The word 'dinosaur' did not exist? I thought we were talking about the inspired word of God. I am sure God could have given them a name and then described them, maybe describe how Jesus rode a t-rex. I'm gonna go with the bible meant dragons...like it means unicorns and not narwhals because the word 'narwhal' didn't exist (I don't know if that's true).

In regards to the Behemoth, the description isn't clear enough, all we know is he's huge and eats grass like an ox...well, Behemoth could also be the 'Bull of Heaven' from Mesopotamian Mythology, Taurus and Himinnhrot (from Norse) because they are all very large oxen - Behemoth has even been depicted as an ox. Given the bible sometimes has ties to the Mesopotamian mythology (for example, Noah's flood), I wouldn't say it's too much of a stretch to suggest it. It's not unusual for mythology to describe giant beasts, so many mythologies around the world have them. For an adequate description of a dinosaur, I would hope the depictions made prior to the discovery of dinosaurs would actually resemble a dinosaur. God offers much better descriptions for angels, which aren't described as they are often depicted today (they're actually pretty creepy).

Click to see a Seraph as described by the bible

If they can get the descriptions right with an angel, why can't they get it right for a t-rex?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:30:28 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 03:12:50 AM »
Christians acknowledge dinosaurs... Kitten, your getting them confused with a small number of Christians called Creationists...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

kitten

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »
i don't know what existed and what didn't back then, i can't go with 'only the animals listed in the bible..' as the only animals that walked the earth ever, i can only go off of what they have actually found and discovered, not what they hope to find one day so our story can be true. let's try going off of what we actually know for fact...i know it sounds crazy...lol but let's just go with it ;)

kitten

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »
well what ever you call them, they're crazy mhaberling ;)
i don't understand people who can't believe in facts and evidence.
i have a brain injury, lol i'm sure i confuse a lot of things lol sorry!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
Christians acknowledge dinosaurs... Kitten, your getting them confused with a small number of Christians called Creationists...

In 2008 a survey found that 36% of South Koreans disagreed with the statement that "Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals.". In May 2012, references to evolution were removed from South Korean science textbooks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism#South_Korea

A 2006 international survey found that 30% of the Swiss reject evolution, one of the highest national percentages in Europe.

A 2007 study of religious patterns found that only 8% of Egyptians, 11% of Malaysians, 14% of Pakistanis, 16% of Indonesians, and 22% of Turks agree that Darwin's theory is probably or most certainly true, and a 2006 survey reported that about a quarter of Turkish adults agreed that human beings evolved from earlier animal species.

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
To go off of what kaziglu said about dragons being dinosaurs.  Here are a few links about Job and dinosaurs.

Keep in mind that the term "dinosaur" didn't exist until the 19th century.  Prior to that, they were mostly referred to as 'dragons'.
http://creationists.org/dinosaurs-humans-coexisted-behemoth.html

And this one makes for a real good laugh.
http://www.bible.ca/tracks/b-dinosaurs-mentioned-in-bible.htm

Wow. Just.... wow. Look, if, when asked to give evidence of evolution, if we presented an argument and evidence as UTTERLY PATHETIC as what I just read on those sites, I could understand why people wouldn't believe in evolution. It's amazing how such a terrible argument is considered the gold standard in religion, while actual science based theories are subjected to the highest possible level of scrutiny. Again the double standards present in religion are abundant, and always overlooked by the religious themselves.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »

It’s interesting you mention the Christian tendency to use words to mean the opposite of their common usage meanings. I’ve noticed this trend too. The classic case is Truth meaning fiction, fallacies and misrepresentations—or TRUTH meaning an outright lie. Then there is real meaning imaginary, sometime expressed using the weasel words real to me. There are also the euphemisms fact for belief, know for believe, open minded for gullible and respect for unquestioning deference.

And of course they call people who are sworn virgins "mother" and "father" in spite of their not being parents. And they use "loving father" to mean a jealous vindictive dictator whose ultimate plan was to kill his own son.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
Im pretty sure weve heard every excuse for this...

humans and dinos walked the earth together
bones were planted in the earth to trick us
ive even heard that they were from a previous earth... somehow.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
According to the Bible there were dragons and unicorns and that the earth is 6000 or so years old,how would you explain this? I am asking you ,not berating you.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
What happened to kitten's account?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline 3sigma

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-1
  • Sceptic
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
What happened to kitten's account?

Probably the same thing that happened to me. In short, if you change the email address on your account, the validation email doesn’t arrive. After not seeing the validation email for some time, the server deletes your account and username. Don’t change the email address on your account until the server problems are resolved.
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. – David Hume 1711–1776

Offline Leviathan

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 06:11:44 PM »
The buybull mentions two dinosaurs by name and describes them in great detail. "Behemoth" (Job 40:15-24) and "Leviathan" (Job 41:1-34). Do I believe this no…

Offline mhaberling

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-8
  • I could write some personal text here...
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »
According to the Bible there were dragons and unicorns and that the earth is 6000 or so years old,how would you explain this? I am asking you ,not berating you.
the bible was written a very long time ago and was originally an oral history...
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 04:07:41 AM »
The buybull mentions two dinosaurs by name and describes them in great detail. "Behemoth" (Job 40:15-24) and "Leviathan" (Job 41:1-34). Do I believe this no…

Good. :) Because before the discovery of dinosaurs Behemoth was depicted as more of an ox...because of the simile the bible chooses to use and Leviathan is more of a sea serpent. Behemoth is likely to be related to oxen in other mythology, a giant ox or bull of heaven is described in other religions, Taurus is the obvious one, in Mesopotamia you've got the bull of heaven who was slain by the mighty Gilgamesh and in the Norse you've got Himinnhrot who was slain by Thor to lure Jormungandr, who interestingly is a giant sea serpent...spooky. :P
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +429/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:46 AM »

And yes, the default standard human is a blond white male.  Just so the rest o' y'all know your place.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina