Author Topic: In wake of Newtown shooting, why blame atheists?  (Read 759 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
In wake of Newtown shooting, why blame atheists?
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
Perhaps it's because he's young and just hasn't become cynical yet ...

In wake of Newtown shooting, why blame atheists?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: In wake of Newtown shooting, why blame atheists?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »
Yes yes, guns and Jesus.

I couldn't read the whole thing with those ear plugs looking at me. ;D

kitten

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
being athiest had nothing to do with it, you may as well say since he had brown hair, people with brown hair put him up to it...the problem was that crazy happened. children in other countrys, as well as our own, have been stabbed in schools, it's not just about guns, 11 kindergarteners were just killed when their bus went into a pond, no one is calling for a ban on busses, or ponds, yet people want to say guns were to blame. 1000's of deaths a year blamed on alcohol, yet it's still selling like hot cakes, suicide bombers don't use guns, and are still quite effective, it's not the guns. it's the crazy. it's the media who keeps these idiots names in the papers, and if you're gonna take the chicken way out and do yourself at the end, might as well go out in a big way, right? something to make everyone remember the nameless coward they didn't care about then, and don't care about now. it's not bringing religion into it unless the kid left a note saying that's why he did what he did, which i don't believe he did...though i could be wrong. first time for everything...haha.
but people have to blame someone...i would have thought the 'devil' made him do it, not athiest. weird.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:51:53 AM »
I think it comes down to maintaining the illusion that religion somehow makes a moral difference. If, when tragic events happen, particularly involving the death of the young and innocent, why NOT blame atheists? After all if being religious and worshiping God is why people have morality, then surely immorality is a result of non-religious people. At least this would seem the logic used.

If religious leaders didn't blame atheists, their flocks might start to wonder how it is that people can be without God and still be moral. This would in a way invalidate the Christian faith. And lets not forget that in the Bible, when tragic events and natural disasters occur, it is almost inevitably because people are not following God, and God is punishing them. In a way it's nice to see Christians at least TRYING to have a worldview that is consistent with what the Bible actually says. It's refreshing in a way, and amusing as well since they are de facto admitting that God is an asshole.

If being godless had nothing to do with a lack of morality, the religious position would be pretty much pointless. The religious leaders and spokesheep have to maintain the illusion that religion somehow makes for a better, more moral society, or they would put themselves out of business. It also conveniently allows them to ignore the problem of evil, and instead blame evil on a lack of Godly followers, as if God didn't say that he creates evil too.

And let's face it: we are an ancient and convenient scapegoat. If religious people blame us for everything that goes wrong in society, it's a convenient distraction and excuse as to why the actual problems are not being solved. It gives them a reason to explain why God isn't helping us out. It's because those damn atheists! God won't cut us a break with hurricanes and shootings because he is punishing us for accepting immoral atheists into our society!

This conveniently allows them to ignore the issue of why God does not help in these cases, or indeed ever. It's just a handy excuse for God's failure to demonstrate his ability to shape the world in any way. It all helps to maintain the illusion that God is real, and is ANGRY with us for tolerating non-believers, who have made our society immoral, and our society is immoral BECAUSE we tolerate non-belief.

Because if non-belief doesn't make one automatically immoral, sheep might start to question why we need religion at all, and the donations and collection baskets would be less full, there would be less children to bully into compliance, less credulous ignorant people to take advantage of. Religion relies on maintenance of all of these things, and blaming lack of religion for the evils in the world is the only way they can try to validate belief in God in this day an age, because science has made all other aspects of religion laughable.

That's why they blame atheists. If they didn't, it would be an admission that God DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

EDIT: I would like to add that the reason, in my opinion, that we in America are having to put up with so much crap from religion right now is that religion is in its last gasp here in the US. It's a dying breed frantically trying to claw and tear its way through the opposition, as reason, education, science, and secular humanist values become more popular, and more and more people embrace a non-religious lifestyle. While a great many Americans may still identify as Christians, a majority of Americans also now support same sex marriage, equality for women, ending minority discrimination and other things that religion has always stood in the way of accomplishing. It's only to the extent that people have divorced themselves from traditional religious teachings that this is possible. It's only because people have had enough of Bible pounding lunatics spouting hate, blaming hurricanes on gays, saying rape is a gift from God, etc that we are starting to attempt to progress as a society and move towards joining the rest of the civilized world. The current super vocal religious fringe is so loud precisely because they are struggling to be heard and desperately need attention. And since they can't do any of the faith based stuff that would actually bring them positive attention, like healing amputees, they have to fan the flames of hate and intolerance, because it's all they have left.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:24:41 AM by kaziglu bey »
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 03:57:07 PM »
We created both god(s) and guns. Clearly no god held back the firing pin or jammed the weapon. But those who feel atheists or a non-religious view is actually the cause for this incident clearly are poisoned by religion. You can twist any faith any way you want and always find more mindless sheep who agree. "Religion's our whore."

As far as not having a non-religious perspective at this tragedy, it might not be very comforting if there was. Parts of any funerals that help me are when the deceased is discussed, spoken about, even joked about. These victims were only freaking six years old. At such a young age, there's not much to talk about. Most of the obituaries I read talked about favorite colors, book, games they played, good at adding and subtracting, stuff like that. So in this case, with thousands of people telling the victims' families that their kids are with god in heaven, it's really hard to compete with that.

Best thing any of us can do is go after this problem we have with violence and gun regulations. Somehow, someway, we have GOT to figure out how to make sure a school shooting can never, ever happen again. What a rough trip this will be, but we really have to do it.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

kitten

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
personally, i am about to purchase a thing of mace for every teacher and staff member in our school district. they aren't allowed guns, but no one mentioned anything about mace being a problem. at least it would be SOME sort of defense against the wacko's out there. it's the best i can do without being there, armed and ready. my kids need a safe place to learn, not be afraid to walk down the halls.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »
Of all things, we have a report of a mountain lion roaming near our neighborhood.  I told my wife that maybe a container of mace would be effective against a mountain lion?

kitten

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
actually jetson, i think that bear spray would work better than mace for people, for the simple reason that bear mace squirts farther than a personal mace would, so you can use it before they get too close...but in a pinch, i'd use the mace if it's all i had. it'll sting the mountain lion, or cougar's eyes just like it would a human. keep your pets indoors or walk them on a leash, hungry animals don't usually care what critter it eats as long as it's eating... :P

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
personally, i am about to purchase a thing of mace for every teacher and staff member in our school district. they aren't allowed guns, but no one mentioned anything about mace being a problem.

depending on the state in which you live, it may be illegal or require a permit.  They should be trained how to use it safely, also.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

kitten

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »
no laws or permits needed in the state of washington to carry or use pepper spray/mace, i'm fully prepare to have a demo on safety use of said sprays, as well as another self defense class, i've put them on before, i can do it again :) if it means a safer place for my kid to be, i'm all in 110%, i'll make sure they all get training with the sprays. i mean i'm just one girl, but it'll get done where i live...question being, will it get done where you all live?? isn't pepper spray better than no defense at all???