Author Topic: Where is the Bible does God say He loves humanity?  (Read 3707 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Where is the Bible does God say He loves humanity?
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
John 3:16. For God so LOVED THE WORLD that he gave his only son so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

There you go he did not only love humanty but ALL CREATION

dude, that has been covered already.  You need to read the whole thread, otherwise you end up looking like a goof.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 01:51:51 AM »
John 3:16. For God so LOVED THE WORLD that he gave his only son so that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

It's true!  Uppercase brings it on home.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 07:17:02 AM »
Scanning through this thread...since it's been revived a couple of times with nothing essentially new to add.

Anyway, it occurs to me that God is like a child. Or, say, even, an adult, who gets a new puppy, and loves it ever so much, until it chews up his new, shoes, pees on his carpet, and doesn't automatically obey commands the first time it hears them.

This person might get mad at and hit the puppy; get tired of trying to get it to listen and leave it tied to a tree out back, decide they really DO love it once in a while after a random play or snuggle, get the notion to try again, with maybe some obedience classes; lose interest once more when the puppy still doesn't pick everything up on the first try, and, finally, take it to the pound and leave it.

There's no doubt that the person is totally enamored with the puppy when it is a brand new little ball of fluff. But that "love" just goes by the wayside when it doesn't grow up and turn into Lassie.

No matter how many times the Bible mentions god's love of his creation, it just seems very conditional. Is it really "love", when a puppy is left at the pound (cast into hell) for misbehaving when no effort has been made at real bonding or training? It's nothing but a case of getting tired of the novelty and discarding it when it doesn't turn out exactly as the owner envisioned.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +437/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
Scanning through this thread...since it's been revived a couple of times with nothing essentially new to add.

Anyway, it occurs to me that God is like a child. Or, say, even, an adult, who gets a new puppy, and loves it ever so much, until it chews up his new, shoes, pees on his carpet, and doesn't automatically obey commands the first time it hears them.

This person might get mad at and hit the puppy; get tired of trying to get it to listen and leave it tied to a tree out back, decide they really DO love it once in a while after a random play or snuggle, get the notion to try again, with maybe some obedience classes; lose interest once more when the puppy still doesn't pick everything up on the first try, and, finally, take it to the pound and leave it.

There's no doubt that the person is totally enamored with the puppy when it is a brand new little ball of fluff. But that "love" just goes by the wayside when it doesn't grow up and turn into Lassie.

No matter how many times the Bible mentions god's love of his creation, it just seems very conditional. Is it really "love", when a puppy is left at the pound (cast into hell) for misbehaving when no effort has been made at real bonding or training? It's nothing but a case of getting tired of the novelty and discarding it when it doesn't turn out exactly as the owner envisioned.

It may explain why god is often coddled and treated as if it were a derelict baby (as opposed to, say, The Unquestioned Lord and Master of All RealityTM).  God needs his behavior to be excused...often in the same way as we excuse the behavior of a 2 year old throwing a tantrum. 

"Oh, he's just a 2 year old.  He doesn't really 'get' that pulling on the dog's tail irritates her.  He doesn't know any better."
"Oh, he's just god.  He doesn't really 'get' that drowning everyone on the planet is a bit of a d*ck move.  He doesn't know any better."
"Oh, he's just a 2 year old.  He can't really express well that he's really sleepy.  His kicking and crying is just his way.  He'll grow out of it."
"Oh, he's just god.  He can't really express well that being gay isn't bad <or is bad, depending on who you ask>.  He was just kind of irritable when he said all that stuff about 'stoning' and 'death'.  He'll grow out of hit."

"Oh, you took his name off of the school honor roll!  Put his name back!  God's at a special age right now - his ego and confidence are really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really fragile right now and just needs to have some confidence building.  Keep his name on the honor roll; let's make sure that we all keep publicly praising him so that he can make sure he feels good about himself.  Otherwise he might throw a tantrum...and, since he doesn't know any better, his tantrum might accidentally hurt other people.  So we should prevent that and shower him with praise.  I know he can't bother himself to ask us to do it...after all, he doesn't know any better and can't really express himself well.  He'll grow out of it."

Simply put: god - at least, the one of the conservative/fundamentalist stripe - puts conditions on his love because, frankly, he just doesn't know any better.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 03:51:28 PM »

So..... just how mad is he about the mess we've made? If he loves ALL CREATION, we're gonna be in serious trouble when he finds out how many species (part of the "ALL" of his "CREATION") we've managed to kill off.

I'm sure as heck not gonna be the one to tell him, he's got a nasty, ugly temper...... I know! Let's get Mikey!  ;D
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »

Drive by poster. Shot bullets and only hit this page and apparently the bullet only hit them. So sad.

I'm not cleaning up the mess.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline StephenTheAlchemist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • hey
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »
These are some of the verses in Scripture about God loving us:

John 3:16
Romans 5:8
Galatians 2:20
Ephesians 2:4-5
1 John 4:9-11
Zephaniah 3:17
1 John 4:7-8
1 Peter 5:6-7
Psalm 86:15
Job 34:19
1 John 3:1
John 13:34-35

And a question that often comes when this one is brought up is "What about all the scripture in the Bible where it says that God hates certain people?" Well the best way that I have seen it put is:

"Many Christians use the cliché “Love the sinner; hate the sin.” This saying is not found in the Bible in so many words; however, Jude 1:22–23 contains a similar idea: “Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.” According to this, our evangelism should be characterized by mercy for the sinner and a healthy hatred of sin and its effects."

"It is not loving to allow a person to remain stuck in sin. It is not hateful to tell a person he or she is in sin. In fact, the exact opposites are true. Sin leads to death (James 1:15), and we love the sinner by speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). We hate the sin by refusing to condone, ignore, or excuse it."

My source for the information that I have given you is:

http://www.gotquestions.org/love-sinner-hate-sin.html

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
Well, either he hates me and hasn't done anything about it, he's indifferent about he and hasn't done anything about it, or he doesn't exist and hasn't done anything about it.

I vote for the last one.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »

He was lying. An angel told me in a dream that god is really the devil and he made the universe because he needed a food source. Happy eating.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
If you get your info from carm or gotquestions it just tells me you're incapable or unwilling to think for yourself.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
"It is not loving to allow a person to remain stuck in sin. It is not hateful to tell a person he or she is in sin. In fact, the exact opposites are true. Sin leads to death (James 1:15), and we love the sinner by speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). We hate the sin by refusing to condone, ignore, or excuse it."

Hello Stephen, Welcome to WWGHA,

I will cut to the chase and speak of homosexuality, because, IMO, it currently best shows the views of religion vs. science.  Where do you end up with your own beliefs, if a man and another man marry, and live together, and refuse to change?  Is it a sin?  What will happen if they stay together, even attend church?  How would you, day to day, treat a couple of men who do this, face to face?

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
I don’t think I understand how someone can love another person who's life style they hate. I might believe them if they changed their motto to hate the sin and do your best to tolerate the sinner.

If I don’t approve of someone's life style or even the way they live their life that means I don’t respect them. I cannot fathom how I could love someone who I can't even respect.

It's like saying love Rick Santorum but hate everything he does and says. Not gonna happen..

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • hey
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »

Hello Stephen, Welcome to WWGHA,

I will cut to the chase and speak of homosexuality, because, IMO, it currently best shows the views of religion vs. science.  Where do you end up with your own beliefs, if a man and another man marry, and live together, and refuse to change?  Is it a sin?  What will happen if they stay together, even attend church?  How would you, day to day, treat a couple of men who do this, face to face?

Haha. Thanks for the welcome man. In response to your question, yes it is a sin if a homosexual couple stay married and I believe in my own opinion that they are doubly accountable for that particular sin since they surround themselves with the Bride of Christ (the Church). It says so very clearly in the Bible in Leviticus 18:22, 20:13, and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 that homosexuality is a sin. The Bible commands us to treat sinners with kindness and love as Jesus did. All of us, every one are sinners, we see that in Romans 3:23.

So the answer is:

1) Yes it is a sin for them to remain homosexual regardless of attending Church, feeding the homeless, or any other righteous action
2) As a Christian the Bible tells me to love these people and show them compassion. Not mock or scorn them. I am to love them as Jesus loved.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
^you mock and scorn them with your answer.

-Nam

Offline spencerbro123

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »

He was lying. An angel told me in a dream that god is really the devil and he made the universe because he needed a food source. Happy eating.

First of all, if what you say is true, how can you prove it? Your lack of intellectual terms and references, even your poor vocabulary, scream nothing but,"FALSE PROPHET." If you can bring sensible knowledge to the table and have a decent, logical debate on the subject, please do.

Second of all, this portion of your statement contradicts itself:
"An angel told me in a dream that god is really the devil..."
Considering the word '"Angel," means ,"Messenger of God," you are saying that God's messenger is telling you that God is actually the devil. If God were actually the devil, he would not want us to know that.

Third, if there is no god, there is no devil or angels. Simple as that. The devil is merely a ,"fallen angel."

Lastly, if he wants to have us as a food source, why have we not been eaten yet?

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • hey
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2014, 07:30:07 PM »

-Nam

You can interpret what I say as mocking and scornful if you wish. It is your opinion and you are granted it. Let me make clear what I must have obviously failed to do. I have nothing, but love for sinners. I too am a sinner. We can apply the same situation to two frequent murderers who are married. Or two adulterers. The Bible commands us to love these people and so I shall.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

First of all, if what you say is true, how can you prove it? Your lack of intellectual terms and references, even your poor vocabulary, scream nothing but,"FALSE PROPHET." If you can bring sensible knowledge to the table and have a decent, logical debate on the subject, please do.

Considering the word '"Angel," means ,"Messenger of God," you are saying that God's messenger is telling you that God is actually the devil. If God were actually the devil, he would not want us to know that.

Third, if there is no god, there is no devil or angels. Simple as that. The devil is merely a ,"fallen angel."

Lastly, if he wants to have us as a food source, why have we not been eaten yet?

There never was a god, it was the story made up by the devil to put you at ease so when you die you will calmly wait in heaven and not try to escape. Sheep in larder. Bless you my son. May your breakfast be a short one.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
1) Yes it is a sin for them to remain homosexual regardless of attending Church, feeding the homeless, or any other righteous action
2) As a Christian the Bible tells me to love these people and show them compassion. Not mock or scorn them. I am to love them as Jesus loved.

It becomes in interesting thought process, doesn't it.  Jesus always said, "Go, and do not sin again."  In this case, they are "doubly accountable," but we are to treat these people, that will burn for eternity, I suppose, with love and kindness.  And yet all of us are indeed no better than they are.  I wonder if, on their 85 yr old deathbeds, they say , sorry, man - they're in, or if they say, we still love each other, they're out.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2014, 07:33:06 PM »

He does. Heaven is a restaurant. He's got vulture genes so he waits til we're dead.

Apparently they don't teach either sarcasm or cynicism in churches these days.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline spencerbro123

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »

There never was a god, it was the story made up by the devil to put you at ease so when you die you will calmly wait in heaven and not try to escape. Sheep in larder. Bless you my son. May your breakfast be a short one.

If there is no God, how is there a Heaven? This I ask.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
The devil created everything. Heaven is where you wait to be eaten. The angel warned me, he was really afraid of being eaten himself, though angels do have so much energy. He said he can prove it is true by this. When you are in heaven, count the people who disappear.

Offline spencerbro123

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:36 PM »
The devil created everything. Heaven is where you wait to be eaten. The angel warned me, he was really afraid of being eaten himself, though angels do have so much energy. He said he can prove it is true by this. When you are in heaven, count the people who disappear.

So your key is to count the people who never were there. That's what you get when you translate what you said to the language of reasoning.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
No, after you reach heaven, look carefully at the people around you. They will disappear.

Think about it, do you really think it was a good god who killed all those innocent children, and cats, and dogs, in Noah's flood. It was a real feast.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:56:03 PM by Foxy Freedom »

Offline spencerbro123

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 08:38:04 PM »
No, after you reach heaven, look carefully at the people around you. They will disappear.

Think about it, do you really think it was a good god who killed all those innocent children, and cats, and dogs, in Noah's flood. It was a real feast.

And you have yet to answer my question. How is heaven real if God isn't real?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:40:31 PM by spencerbro123 »

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »

And you have yet to answer my question. How is heaven real if God isn't real?

The devil created it. That is where you wait to be eaten. Everything you think god did, was really the devil.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »

-Nam

You can interpret what I say as mocking and scornful if you wish. It is your opinion and you are granted it. Let me make clear what I must have obviously failed to do. I have nothing, but love for sinners. I too am a sinner. We can apply the same situation to two frequent murderers who are married. Or two adulterers. The Bible commands us to love these people and so I shall.

You're still doing it. The sad thing is: you don't understand how you're doing it. When you figure that out, perhaps you'll cease.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
It is obvious that the universe is just a food source if you think about it.

The devil/god is omnipotent. He can do anything. Do you really think he needs servants or followers to do anything? What possible use would humans be except a food source?

Just read about all the people killed in the bible.

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • hey
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 09:23:48 PM »

-Nam

You're still doing it. The sad thing is: you don't understand how you're doing it. When you figure that out, perhaps you'll cease.

-Nam

From who's standpoint? A Christian or non-believer? You are inferring that I mock and scorn them by even carrying on my efforts to display my point. By ruling them as "in the wrong" as it states in my religion. Yet, you mock me by assuming that I don't know what you are getting at? I see the subtext whether it's in the exact definition as you would like or not. The user inquired an answer of me and I responded with an answer that lines up with my duty to God. He asked and he received. However, you see fit to jump in the conversation and criticize my knowledge and my actions, through which meant no harm just to answer a question. I have not told you what you do or do not understand just as I grant every human being the respect of not doing that very thing. The true sad thing is that you believe that someone or something has granted you the authority to determine the understanding and comprehension others.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 09:27:02 PM »

None of those demonstrate a loving God.  Just people who say God is loving.  I have a thread somewhere with most of the verses about God being jealous or wrathful.  In most of them he is the one saying he's jealous or wrathful.  So, if we are being fair, God may occasionally be loving, if those guys are to believed (and I don't think they are), but he is also very jealous and angry.  Sounds more like Zeus or some other "false god" than a perfect, transcendent God.

http://www.gotquestions.org/love-sinner-hate-sin.html

I am familiar with that site.  I do not find it to be a very good site.  It represents xianity poorly.  Gives xians bad ideas and stupid answers.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.